Abalone Poachers Sentenced in Prince Rupert

Dogbreath

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...ABALONE20/TPStory/TPNational/BritishColumbia/

Record penalties ordered for abalone poachers

VICTORIA</u> -- The stiffest penalties for abalone poaching in B.C. history were handed down in Prince Rupert on Wednesday to three men caught with 11,000 abalone in February, 2006.

Each poacher received a conditional sentence with house arrest, a new form of punishment for robbing B.C. waters of this threatened species.

Michael McNeill faces a 12-month conditional sentence with six months house arrest, a five-year scuba-diving prohibition and $20,000 in fines. He also forfeits his truck, boat and equipment used during the crime, valued at $143,000. His younger brother, Daniel McNeill, and Randall Graff each received four-month conditional sentences, with three months of house arrest, two-year diving bans, $10,000 fines, and 80 hours of community work involving presentations on abalone conservation. They also forfeit $4,000 worth of equipment.

The men were caught with the largest abalone heist ever seized by federal fisheries officers.

The creatures, hidden under tarp, weighed down the back of Michael McNeill's Ford F-150 pickup truck. The men were apprehended leaving Port Edward, near Prince Rupert, on their way to Vancouver to sell the dying abalone.

Last month, the three men pleaded guilty to crimes under both the Fisheries Act and Canada's four-year-old Species at Risk Act or SARA. They are the first abalone poachers convicted under SARA. With the combined penalties, the three men could have received $750,000 fines.

The McNeill brothers were also facing a maximum seven years in jail because of previous fisheries violations. Mr. Graff faced a maximum five-year jail term.

Northern abalone is considered a threatened species in Canada

full_northernAbalone.jpg

close to 1 million dollars, the fisheries followed them for 3 days in their boat

The sad thing about this is will go and do it again because the amount they lost doesnt compare to what they can bring in on the black market they will consider it "THE COST OF DOING BUSINESS"

I bet you the amount over the years what they made is way more than what they lost and the fines!!!!!

They have to put them in JAIL and get them off the water six month house arrest whhhhoooooo now theres a sentence what a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf

well to tell ya the truth if they would take the abs off the list then they would not be worth so much on the market,i have seen, with my own two eyes areas of the ocean floor that were littered with these bugs of the sea, and i am not just talking about one time, one spot, lots of spots, lots of times,its my personal opinion that with the decline of the sea otter the abs have replenished themselfs, so why not open up a very limited fishery on them
just somthing to chew on.(no pun intended)

hopefully the little bugs lived 2 be transpanted back 2 the oceans floor .

ya forsure to light,i have heard of guys getting 5 years for less,as for value,if i remember correctly about 10 yrs ago i am pretty sure 10 G per pound, dont quote me i could be wrong,this is the big attraction to the poachers.

comon scotty those bugs are now evidence, in other terms, RCMP/CO BBQ
after rereading the oringianl post it says it was the stiffest sentence, that i find hard to belive, i am sure i have hear of worst, oh well , could be wrong

They must of been able to salvage most of them or perhaps there were other mitigating circumstances to the light sentence! Maybe they were able to give info. on the buyers that was of interest to the fishery officers ..sounds like they got off easy due to some bargaining/ information on their part!

Back