A Magical Moment

IronNoggin

MAITUXN.jpg

I have always had a fascination for Hummingbirds.
We run four feeders nonstop through the summer, and two (rotated out daily) all winter long as well.
Endless hours of entertainment watching these amazing little jet fighters!!

All time stands still for me when they get close.
Our dog is the same, instantly freezing and watching quietly until they depart.

Yesterday I was checking out a few newly sprouted plants in one of our container gardens when I heard to whirrrrr of those quick little wings rather close.
Slowly looked up and there was a Ruby Throated Male hovering about six feet away, and staring intently right at me:

9f5563_a905abe9178f41f4b2b707161c40d91f.jpg

Very Cool I thought!

Suddenly the little bugger swooped right in on me, I mean Point Blank!
Shock.gif

Zipped right up to my face, then gave a swift long tongued lick to my bottom lip!
Startled me so much I jumped backwards like I was being attacked by an enraged grizzly!!

My Lady watching this little incident was almost peeing herself laughing so hard!
Little bugger gave you a kiss she managed to get out between gales of laughter.
And Man, did that EVER scare you!!

Yep. It did.
Funny how something weighing in mere ounces can pull off what a 500 pound black bear can't in terms of shock & awe!

Never in my wildest dreams...
Magic.

Cheers,
Nog

MAITUXN.jpg

We run four feeders nonstop through the summer, and two (rotated out daily) all winter long as well.

Yesterday I was checking out a few newly sprouted plants in one of our container gardens when I heard to whirrrrr of those quick little wings rather close.
Slowly looked up and there was a Ruby Throated Male hovering about six feet away, and staring intently right at me:

Very Cool I thought!

Shock.gif

Zipped right up to my face, then gave a swift long tongued lick to my bottom lip!
Startled me so much I jumped backwards like I was being attacked by an enraged grizzly!!

My Lady watching this little incident was almost peeing herself laughing so hard!

Yep. It did.
Funny how something weighing in mere ounces can pull off what a 500 pound black bear can't in terms of shock & awe!

Magic.

Cheers,
Nog
I’m a hummingbird fan as well. At my last house I would get all six holes occupied and one or two more waiting patiently for a turn:DCC5E8CE-93FD-4FDA-844F-3523BB940DAB.jpeg

The coolest thing is if I stood nice and still they would drink out of my hand! The key to pull this off is you have to practice by holding the feeder for them so they are comfortable being close to you.
A2502BBC-DDC7-4D17-A85A-E57E7A8F84C6.png

Last edited:
MAITUXN.jpg

Very Cool I thought!

Shock.gif

Yep. It did.

Magic.

Cheers,
Nog
What a privilege! Truly magical - the natural world is endlessly fascinating when we take time to allow for it. Thanks for sharing this story.

I love then to, what a great bird they are so fascinating, maybe there was a nest in the bushes, the nest aren’t even the size of a fist, super cool

A2E7D0C0-CEDF-4FCC-A49F-EAD93460393E.jpeg I agree, amazing little birds.
We have 8 feeders, with about 3 dozen hummingbird birds during peak season- when the migratory birds arrive.
It is crazy how such a little bird will try to intimidate me by charging at my face when I’m near a feeder.
Very rewarding when they drink from the feeder when I’m still holding it after cleaning and refilling.

Last edited:
Back