A gentle Netting of a Nootka watershed.

Reel Time

Maybe these small watersheds should be traditional fished - spear, basket, hand caught. Or Ocean caught only and those salmon making it this far to spawn should live in peace. Nootka Sound fishing has slowed tremendously. Food for thought.

This would be a large catch on the Fraser.

Attachments

• IMG_6761.JPG
    IMG_6761.JPG
    362.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_6762.JPG
    IMG_6762.JPG
    659.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6763.JPG
    IMG_6763.JPG
    548 KB · Views: 133
in the states, the tribes had the right to make “a moderate living” from fishing the waters their ancestors fished before colonization and to co-manage fishing resources with the state. Implicit in the treaties, courts would later rule, was a guarantee that there would be enough fish for the tribes to harvest.

If treaty rights similar to the states, and the harvest shown is a very small percentage of the run, I see no problem, but...given the poor returns this year, these photos are troubling to say the least. DAJ

This is either the Burman or Conuma. I am in support for First Nations and the right to fish for food. I just think the damage of white man nets in the river is too great. Catch them in the ocean. Let them spawn if they succeed this far.

This is either the Burman or Conuma. I am in support for First Nations and the right to fish for food. I just think the damage of white man nets in the river is too great. Catch them in the ocean. Let them spawn if they succeed this far.

Im more in favour of fishing at points of origin. At least this way they know how many fish they took from where.

The majority of these fish are "boots" that I wouldn't even touch much less eat. Given the documented low returns on these rivers that could be most of the returning run.

The majority of these fish are "boots" that I wouldn't even touch much less eat. Given the documented low returns on these rivers that could be most of the returning run.

I was surprised using a nice selective method like beach seine that they did not release the boots. maybe the roe is going to market

The Conuma River has a production hatchery that was built and designed to support a commercial fishery. There is no way the little Conuma can fit a full return from all hatchery offsprings. So don't jump too early to gloomy conclusions by seeing a few fish in a net.

Looking at the first photo,this sure looks like the Gold River.

The Conuma River has a production hatchery that was built and designed to support a commercial fishery. There is no way the little Conuma can fit a full return from all hatchery offsprings. So don't jump too early to gloomy conclusions by seeing a few fish in a net.

Yeah but we don't know what river this is right?

Maybe these small watersheds should be traditional fished - spear, basket, hand caught. Or Ocean caught only and those salmon making it this far to spawn should live in peace. Nootka Sound fishing has slowed tremendously. Food for thought.

This would be a large catch on the Fraser.

Pretty Dam Sickening

Back