A Fisherman's Christmas

juandesooka

Halloween's past, so now...55 shopping days til Christmas...ba ha ha!
[8D][xx(]

I was joking with my wife about fishermen being easy to shop for, so much gear needed, new stuff always welcomed. It gave me the idea of starting a thread about what fishermen (sorry, anglers, not to be ***ist) hope to find under the tree. You can casually leave it on the computer "by accident" if you want to give some hints...

[and to the spouses and friends, if in doubt, ask the counter person at the store what works well in your area; for sure it is the thought that counts, but it's even better if the gift is useful!]

I've tried to think of things just about every fisherperson needs, for salmon and halibut... but there's local variations. I think this is stuff you can always use.

Under $10:
Teaser heads, hootchies, spoons, hooks, swivels, quick release clips, leader line, spreader bars, halibut leaders, scent.

Under $20:
Flashers, plugs, filet knives...so many boat gizmos and doodads, just walk around Trotac or West Marine, it's crazy how much gear fits on boats. Good thermos.

Under $50:
Downrigger balls (pair of balls under the tree? there's a joke in there somewhere), rod holder (ditto), anchor (more fitting than the balls?), anchor line retriever.

Under $100:
Net, rod, reel, halibut harpoon, scotchman buoy to go with it, new fishing cooler.

Bigger ticket items:

New floater jacket: get rid of the old mouldy one, get one you actually might wear, it literally could save your life.

New floater bib: instead of rain pants, wear bib overalls with flotation as part of your standard gear...again, could save your life.

Electric downriggers: hey, you never know, if you've been extra special good this year.

Man o man...that lists gets long quickly.

What else?

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca

Two new pulley heads for the Scotty downriggers
New net , and I hope the SOB who stole my other one has a real good time with it !

AL

I'm hoping for a new fish bonker...although I'm extremely superstitious (a goalie...so its a given) and the one we used the last 2 days of the season brought some good luck.

A new lucky cap is always welcome as well. Plus looks like we are getting a new 2006 26' Pursuit...so that is a pretty amazing present as well lol.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

nice new color fishfinder/gps that I can hook up to my radar, new dinghy, winlass, bbq, pot puller, crab & shrimp pots, gaff, lures............

Posted - 11/02/2008 : 16:09:44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hoping for a new fish bonker...although I'm extremely superstitious (a goalie...so its a given) and the one we used the last 2 days of the season brought some good luck.

My favourite fish bonker is a small aluminum bat which is actually a tire checker with a Volvo tm on it.

The ping of contact can be heard a long ways away on a calm day. Makes it especially un-nerving when fishing buddies nearby aren't doing quite as well as you are.

Back