9.9 Mecurey bigfoot

kevind

I got this kicker on a new to me boat. changed out the oils and started it up. Runs a little rough when i try to idle it at low rpms like right down to the bottom of throttle it dies so i'm thinking carb but my biggest worry is i hear a noise while its running. every few seconds it sounds like the flywheel hits plastic. i'm guessing its not normal but trying to figure out where it is coming from or what it might be before i take it in to be serviced. I can try taking a video with sound to post it and see what everyone might think. But any ideas or thinks i could look at would be great.

Thanks
Kevin

Have you checked compression?

Cleaning the carb is easy with basic mechanical knowledge. It should help your idle.

First thing you do is go online and find the factory shop manual for your engine. Lots of good info in there. Carb kit and a good cleanup is inexpensive and not that hard to do if you have the manual.

Have you taken the top off and listend and looked around when it was running ? You could do this in your back yard and a boat muff and what about the plug ?

i did take the top off thats when i noticed it. looked around and couldnt find any loose plastic pieces as thats what it sounded like it was hitting. What plug do you mean?

Is it a pull start? If so it could be one of the cogs that spring out by centrifical force when you yank on the pull cord.
Had one on my Honda 8 hp kicker do this.Took it apart and cleaned and oiled the moving parts and the noise went away.It had more of a metallic tinging kind of sound though,but intermitent like your sound.Could be worth checking out.

Yes its a pull start. I havent had the time to look at it but thank you all for the comments and suggestion

Last edited by a moderator:
I see it has already been brought up about the pull start and all. I have had some strange things get caught up and under there before is why I was asking and the plug I just meant the spark plug. I had one that looked really good and so I kept putting it off and then one day just replaced it and it ran good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your help guys. The noise ended up being a pin that had come off and was randomly catching while the flywheel spun. I noticed something was catching while I pulled the cord doing a compression test. Compression test showed 130 for one and 120 for the other. Seems a little low but it is an older engine. What do people thing do those numbers sound about right? Spark plugs looked ok.

rule of thumb is or was as long as there is no more then 10% difference between cylinders your good to go

Back