78 Pound Spring!!

I heard the same thing from a buddy working at QCL, but I thought he said it was released. Either way, that's a big fish! I hope to see some pictures!

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

Yes definitely land of the hawgs. When i worked there my buddy released a 77lber I saw a 75, 77 and 82lb spring hit the dock and witnessed four fish over 60 pounds hooked in one day. Ah the good ol days!:D

brian whaley guided the fish there was a 69 guided by butch sakiyama the same day and a 52 guided by jake henderson

4 days after i flew out for the season :(
o well i still got my 3 over 50 for the year... biggest 58

I'd release it no problem especially if they are still giving away an Islander as an incentive. Photo Dave still working up that way? Either way I'm sure they had a photo guy that snapped a shot before it was released. Good to hear slabs are rolling through again. It's been some time. Even the current ads for northern resorts have paled with statements of "occasional fish to 40 lbs"

quote:Originally posted by demco99

what gear do they hit these hogs on? what river would they be headed to?? skeena?
In that area? Absolutely anywhere from SEAK to California and anywhere in between, including B.C.! LOL

I'm gonna need a bigger net.

Drag'n'Fly
22' Blue & White Starcraft Islander

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

what gear do they hit these hogs on? what river would they be headed to?? skeena?
In that area? Absolutely anywhere from SEAK to California and anywhere in between, including B.C.! LOL

Really? A fish over 70 caught in Washington, Oregon or California? The stuff legends are made of I tell ya. Even the Fraser....one in very very very many ever make it to 70 lbs from the Fraser or it's tributaries. Northern BC Mainland Coast to AK, maybe, otherwise, it's a unicorn that don't exist elsewhere. Fuhgeddaboudit.

[B)]

Harrison gets alot of 60+ plus. vedder afewas well. Adams,nechako and quesnell are very big stock too. . Saw many of these pigs doing swim counts a few years ago. Some of the redds on the harrison were the size of volkswagon bugs. Check out some of the carcasses on the bridge Bridge and Raft in oct definetly a few over 50+. Amazing some get past the nets lol!

[/quote]

The great hode

95 percent of these fish are caught on a cut plug or whole herring. Fish that size are not going to kill them selves chasing down gear, it does happen but no where near the number compared to cuts fished sloooow. All my big boys were caught on cut plugs. They are most likely headed to the Skeena, Kitimat or Nass rivers.

Photo Dave has not been at the lodge for a long time but they do have a onsite full time photographer for the big releases.

Cant belive Whaley and Butch are still there! They were long time Veterns when I started there in 2000.

Whaley always fishes cut plugs and does extremely well on big fish up there.

The majority of big fish are going to be caught on what ever the majority of fishermen are using in any given area. Cut plugging is more common up north with the lodges...not hard to understand why. I've caught many big fish with riggers and anchovies, so have many others.

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

Really? A fish over 70 caught in Washington, Oregon or California? The stuff legends are made of I tell ya. Even the Fraser....one in very very very many ever make it to 70 lbs from the Fraser or it's tributaries. Northern BC Mainland Coast to AK, maybe, otherwise, it's a unicorn that don't exist elsewhere. Fuhgeddaboudit.

[B)]
Really? [B)][B)][B)][:0][B)][B)]
Do “YOUR” HOMEWORK!!!
You can start here! LOL
http://www.redding.com/news/2008/nov/04/07/ [B)][B)][B)][:0][B)][B)]

Done my homework there Charlie. There are very very few, if any that size that return anywhere south of the 49th Parallel, and very very few that size north of the 49th as well. The Skeena probably has the most of them, and if there were any significant numbers of these fish, we would see them--and they would turn up in Seine Nets, on the spawning grounds, etc. That picture in that link gets a lot of publicity, and it was only a dead carcass that they found and just one that size. As for the guys in the Haida Gwaii, they're finding some GIGANTIC fish this year, as they always do...so good for them!

Anyways, there's fact, and then there are unicorns. So far, evidence is that there are just 3 or 4 unicorns on the entire coast this year...all the way from Alaska to California. They all happen to have been caught in BC.

As for 50+ lb fish in the Harrison etc, I believe it when I see it, and there are no legitimate 50's caught in the lower mainland in the last 3 years---dead ones anyways...so these 50 + lb fish I keep hearing about in the Rivers never wind up dead yet I always hear these stories.....

People need to stop weighing fish with their eyeballs and tape them out or weigh 'em on a scale before they cut them up if they choose to kill them.

Anyways, just my opinions, and they're not necessarily right..but there's always my side, your side (which you're more than entitled to) and the what the truth really is is unknown. Anyways, from talking to the guys at the lodges I used to work at, there a few guides apparently at the lodges which need to learn how to tape a fish and conveniently weight fish with their eyeballs to suit themselves. To each their own.

Needless to say, it is fantastic that large fish such as these are being released. CONGRATS!!!!

There are more than just a few over 50's that enter the Fraser and the Harrison in particular. Have seen them, have caught them. My largest in Sooke 52, largest this year In Renfrew 56, largest Harrison white in Sooke 67.12, largest early Fraser caught in Sooke (June) 66 1/2. Also know of a couple of 65's, 64, 63 and a 61, all fairly recent.

Was there not a 90 somthing pound fish found in the southern part of the columbia river last year? Just somthing that I faintly remember.

-Steve

FM, spend some time on some of these waters before you comment on them. It will save you from looking like an idiot

The great hode

Back