7 pin trailer plug question

Clint r

For all you wiring guys: replacing the 7 pin plug in my 97 dodge diesel and everything I can find for diagrams looks like his:

IMG_1202.PNG

Under the truck the wires I have are not the colours listed above. In mine my backups are purple and my ground is black? No white wire anywheres and my driving lights are black and orange. Anyone have experience with this? My new plug is a "curt" brand and I'm mostly wondering if the above diagrams wire locations are correct? I have the wires in the truck figured out but the new plug came with no diagram and the colours marked on the wire terminals are different than the trucks. Any help greatly appreciated.

Found this Clint. It might be able to help you as it has the wiring from both the truck and trailer on it. Are you wiring the rig from scratch or just trying to repair some faulty wiring.

Oly

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    472.2 KB · Views: 29
Repairing a hack job. Thanks for the pic. I think I've got it now. At least got power where it's supposed to be when it's supposed to be there. Now the only question is the voltage to the blue wire for power from brake controller seems low? Not sure what it should be but if my controllers set at lowest I get .24 volts at plug and if I crank it to max I get a blast at 9v quickly (instantly)dropping to 1.75ish. Does that sound right?

Try using a circuit tester instead of the volt meter at the plug end. The brake controller may only put out a small amount of current if it thinks that the trailer isn't connected and there are no brakes to be activated. The circuit tester will apply a little load to the circuit and then more power will be sent by the brake controller. Put your gain all the way up to max and see if the tester light is bright, like it would be with a full 12 volts. If the light is dim, then you may have some more wiring issues.

See if this helps.

Oly

Yes, it seems every vehicle is different. Here is a picture of what I had to do and the related wire colours. It was on a Tundra.

Attachments

• trailer wiring 2.jpg
    trailer wiring 2.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 14
Ok . Thank you for the fast replies. . I'm leaving early tommorow and needed to have this fixed. I don't have a circuit tester so wired up a light to a probe and made a test light. After much crawling around and in an out from under the truck everything seems to be working as it should. Can make the bulb on the tester dimmmer or brighter by adjusting the slider on brake controller. Signals and driving lights when I test them and backups too. Power wire to trailer battery not as bright as I think it should be but no draw on trucks amp gauge so maybe it's how supposed to be? Maybe higher when trucks running? Don't know, it only has juice when key is in on position so I'm confident it's working as it's supposed to.

Glad to help. Hope your trip is a good one. Are you going fishing or something boring like work?

Oly

This is a fishing/business/pleasure trip. A friend of mine bought the 26' hourston that was for sale recently. Gonna combine a little fishing with a little SS work for his new pride and joy. Launching in Port Alberni and staying in Ukee 4 nights. Going to explore the Barkley sound area. Never been there other than by car. I'm so excited I'm almost vibrating,

Good luck out there. It's awesome scenery and fishing. I hope you get into some nice springs and a few Hallies and lings as well. I'm sure his boat will look awesome when you are done. I've seen some of your work and it always looks great. When I do a rebuild this winter, I may contact you and get some work done for myself.

Oly

Repairing a hack job. Thanks for the pic. I think I've got it now. At least got power where it's supposed to be when it's supposed to be there. Now the only question is the voltage to the blue wire for power from brake controller seems low? Not sure what it should be but if my controllers set at lowest I get .24 volts at plug and if I crank it to max I get a blast at 9v quickly (instantly)dropping to 1.75ish. Does that sound right?
You should be close to 12v. Have you measured it with the engine running? Battery may be a little weak plus some voltage drop in the blue wire. It all compounds quickly in a DC circuit.

Back