• Thread starter Deleted member 8461
  • Start date
If you are looking for a solid colour, powdercating would be your best option. You would likely need to sandblast first. You could etch-prime and paint but that will cost more and probably not as good a bond. That being said, its pretty hard to beat the look of mirror polished 316 (presumably) stainless. Coatings will fail eventually...

I think size matters when it comes to powder coating. Need a pretty big oven to fit a one piece bow rail into.

I'm with wishiniwasfishin1. You can't beat the look of polished SS.

I know you don't want stainless...but you could also look at pickling the stainless to knock it back to a more matte, mill or '2b' look (a LOT less shiny and more subdued). Also, not sure about the island but there are a bunch of guys in Vancouver who can powdercoat 30' x 8' x 10'.

That patina is fragile and would likely require a clear coat after. At the very least I would not trust it in a saltwater application.

My boss bought an electro polisher for small stainless parts. Something went wrong when he was learning how to use it and the pieces came out black. They did look awesome. Was a ***** to remove it to a shiny finish but I don't know how well it would stand up to the abuse a fishin boat gets.

Back