6 vs 8 horse kicker

Gerry

I have a 17' boat. I have an 8 horse Honda 4 stroke, but don't really like it. I have an opportunity to buy a 6 horse Yamaha 4 stroke. Is the 6 horse a good choice in terms of power?

we have a 16.5 ft campion centre console... we had a 2 stroke 6hp on there prior to it being stolen, and its power was totally fine!

we now have a 8hp 4 stroke only because insurance covered it... but to answer your question, I think a 6hp 4 stroke would be just fine unless the 17ft boat is a tank.

I had a 6 hp Yamaha 4stk on my last 17.5' boat and it was great. I actually liked it better than the T8 I've got now. It started better and ran smoother.

I run a honda 5hp 4stroke on my 15ft double eagle that is quite heavy for a 15ft boat, and I have no issues even with a strong current and wind.

I have an 8hp 4 stroke on my 26ft (8500lb) beast and it works just great. 6hp on a 17' that's probably 4-5000 lbs lighter will be just fine.

TenMile
<'((((><

i had a 6 with 8 hp prop and a lil bend in the linkage, pushed awesome on my ol trophy

share the harvest
2625 kingfisher

Back