5th Annual Elk Lake Take a Kid Fishing Derby.

porcupine

April 14, 2012. The 5th Annual Elk Lake Take a Kid Fishing Derby. Tickets are Adults – $25, Children under 16 – $10. All ticket holders are entered into the draw for a new boat and motor package. First place prizes of $1,000 for the largest tout and the largest bass. This derby has live release weigh boats and weigh-station located strategically on the lake. For more info contact us at 350-475-4969.

That's the plan, never fished Elk before but I am reading all the related posts I can find. Probably a lot like Langford or Prospect for what works.

Son is really looking forward to going, as am I.

Couple of questions for those of you who fish Elk - is there a wire running between the pontoons? Anything else I need to stay away from on the lake? Sections that are suddenly shallow? I looked at a depth chart from Anglers Atlas and most areas look fine. Found out the hard way that Langford has a shallow section just around the point last summer!

I would like to catch a few fish but having fun is most important and I know the lake will get buzy. Some peoople are respectful of others lines and some not so much. I also don't want to end up having issues cause I don't know the lake.

Maybe I should just find a yellow Kayak and follow that around about 300 ft back of coarse. I think I have read most of your posts by now Rendraw and thank you have helping us out a bit. Between that and our own experience elsewhere My Boy is sure he has the secret weapon that will dominate the tourney! I know he had me laughing and then shutting up the first time he used and then started catching. I guess dad doesn't know squat.

We will be the green canoe with the Red Wing hats if you happen to see us.

I have enjoyed reading the info forwarded by many members here and look forward to adding my own reandom thoughts for what they are worth.

Thanks James & Bruce

haha oh well that's what I get for telling everyone my secrets. Good luck tomorrow! I'll actually be fishing with a buddy in a beat up 13' welded aluminum painted black. See you out there!

oh yeah and there isn't really anything to worry about snag wise, sometimes you will catch shore fishermens gear if you are too close to the bottom trolling by where they fish. best to stay away from shore when trolling by shore fishing spots.

Last edited by a moderator:
TROUT
1) Jason St. Jean – 4.1 lb rainbow trout
2) Dave Reside – 3.9 lb rainbow trout
3) Chase Robertson – 3.3 lb rainbow trout
4) Randy Hicks – 2.11 lb rainbow trout
5) Ryan Arsenych – 2.6 lb rainbow trout
6) Glen Cholika – 2.6 lb rainbow trout
BASS
1) Shilo Matte – 8.3 lb largemouth bass
2) Shawn Smith – 6.0 lb largemouth bass
3) Ki T Kim – 5.11 lb largemouth bass