50/50 Brass/Chrome spoons.....

Seafever

Observation:- many espouse the fishing ability of the brass/chrome spoon.

However.....every post I ever read on a salmon that was caught on so many posts I can't count them all...the fish in the pic was never caught on a 50/50 brass/chrome spoon.....

Unless there's some posts/pics I have not seen yet....

Is this another one of those "back in the day" lures?

I agree.
Too many times we try to reinvent the wheel.. But I guess tackle manufacturers have to sell new gear.
I hoard the old time spoons.
Gibbs dazzler
Katchmor
P2b
Clendon Stewart 5.5... Omg...

Are some of my top producers. WCVI

If you want to use large spoons without flashers then it's a go to lure along with the Pilchards and cop cars in the 6/7 inch sizes. Very few guys use them but in my opinion they work very well in the right circumstance on the WCVI. Flashers have taken over, why-because they are easier to fish and everybody seems to use them. Not so easy to do something different than the crowd-put down a big spoon or even tougher a plug or a 7 herring with no flasher. There is upkeep involved with the big spoons and they are expensive. Definitely not one of those "back in the Day" lures.

So would a 50/50 in the 3" size give a spoon like an Irish Creme some stiff competition on the Gulf side?

So would a 50/50 in the 3" size give a spoon like an Irish Creme some stiff competition on the Gulf side?

i would think so... i use a dimple 50/50 all the time on the wcvi... got a few from my dad , he used to run them all around HOWE sound

Sorry Downchild....but I am getting confused.....what size would "always" be?........

or do you mean you always use 50/50 finish.............

You would not be running those Apexes behind a flasher ...right?

What lb test do you run yours at, Dog Breath?

What size hook?

That one in the pic ...is it the 3 inch or the 4.5 inch?

image.jpg a friend of mine gave me a box of these I thought he said these were 50/50 but its not chrome so not sure?

I have the Clendon Stewart 5.5 both in 50/50 and Army Truck, but for some reason I am hardly able to catch anything on them - the large Tomic spoons produce 10 times better for me.

I dug out some of my old 50/50 brass and chrome spoons last week. I polished them on the wire wheel and then sprayed them with a clear coat. Going to give them a try on Monday. Nice and shiny.

Sounds good-try putting a holographic eye on them. I have had the best success if fished deep as the bottom lure in a 2 rod stack. The top rod was a regular flasher anchovy set-up the spoon was no flasher-less likely to tangle when fished deep. I am working to refine this system as it is a consistent producer and so much fun to catch a fish without a flasher. Good luck-don't leave us hangin. LOL

I take it Magic Rock is west coast of the island?

In the past I've dragged some of those 50/50 brass/chrome Wonderspoons in the size that you could use for a surfboard around the Alberni Inlet and off Qualicum.....but was unable to procure a Chinook.....

I see Titan makes a smaller 4inch 50/50............haven't heard much about them tho'. The Titan, however,is 50/50 Nickel/Gold.

Nickel/Gold as good as Chrome/Brass?

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of summers ago, 5.5" Clendon Stewart 50/50's were lethal on the West Coast of Haida Gwaii.They could do no wrong through the month of August. That coincided with lots of midsized herring being in the area. Last summer, we ran them with only the most marginal of success, until it turned out that the springs wanted 3.5" Coyote spoons. If it's slow, I always give the 50/50 a try for old times' sake. No doubt they'll be salmon candy again sometime.

Back