30 or 50w reels

Fixit

I’ve got a trip down to San Diego booked for tuna. looking for a two speed lever drag reel

Anyone have something for sale? Or would consider renting to me?

I’m aware of the rentals, was hoping to buy something used or if someone on the island has one they would lend out….

I've got a Penn International 12 VSX (not VISX) loaded with 100lb white Maxcuatro that I marked every 50 feet I was thinking about selling. I've even used it down there. Shoot me a message and we can figure something out. I also have other reels and general info.

I’ve got a trip down to San Diego booked for tuna. looking for a two speed lever drag reel

Anyone have something for sale? Or would consider renting to me?
Where are you located? What do rentals cost? I have shimano 30A TLD 2 speed. What braid do you want to run? I was up for selling but was checking out the Derbies down south, so rental might be more realistic for me right now.

Little smaller than you are asking for and a bit beat up, but unless you're getting into really big fish (>200lb) a 16 Makaira should be good. The Makaira is one of the best reels made these days.

im in comox, but heading through to van in a month.
I have some 12 size reels currently
rentals are a150 bucks for three days for an 100-130lb class setup

Yeah, I’m in Victoria and visiting courtenay week and next. I run lighter braid on it for Hali, so doesn’t make sense to rent it since you’d have to spool it with your braid etc. Let me think on it! I hate selling gear but would rather it be screaming.

Are you using it for dropping jigs and sinker rig fishing? Do you need a rod for it too?

That Mak 16 that Flashman posted is a really decent deal if it's in good working order.

Where are you located? What do rentals cost? I have shimano 30A TLD 2 speed. What braid do you want to run? I was up for selling but was checking out the Derbies down south, so rental might be more realistic for me right now.
Which derbies?

Was looking at a weekend long yellow tail one I think.
Oh ya that one. That TLD isn't really a good use for YT but it'll still work. With El Nino coming it could be a really good YT year in the summer and fall.

I've been steadily adding to my SD arsenal and removing a few. I currently have a Lexa 400, Avet MXJ 2 spd, Fathom 30 SD Power Gen 2, Fathom 30 2 SPD Gen 1, Fathom 40 2 SPD Gen 1, Fathom 40 2 SPD Gen 2, Saltiga 50 2 SPD, International VSX 12 2 SPD, Makaira 16 2 SPD.

I got rid of a Avet JX 2 SPD, Torium 16 and Torium 20 as well. I might add something like Fathom 15 XN 2 SPD

pretty sure you need somthing like a visx 16 or 20 for fishing those bft. A 50W is a huge reel no fun on ths rail. Stay away from the tld series as they cant handle the drag you are going to fish without killing the frame.

pretty sure you need somthing like a visx 16 or 20 for fishing those bft. A 50W is a huge reel no fun on ths rail. Stay away from the tld series as they cant handle the drag you are going to fish without killing the frame.
I landed a 127 on my fathom 30 star drag with 40lb leader while flylining a bait on on a little gammi circle hook

The larger reels are used more for their line capacity dropping knife jigs and fat falls at night. Something that can hold 500 yards of 80 or 100lb and produce 20lbs of drag at strike is sufficient 99% of the time.

The rod is the next big thing for the reel. I don't fly with long rods anymore. Most guys will be using a good quality "rail" type rod of 7 feet or more for a 100 lb reel like that. Expect to pay $400 or so US for one. I borrow rods from my US buddies as I can't justify the expense and the hassal of flying with a big rod tube anymore. Don't forget the rod and reel combos for you 40 and 60 lb set ups.................

The rod is the next big thing for the reel. I don't fly with long rods anymore. Most guys will be using a good quality "rail" type rod of 7 feet or more for a 100 lb reel like that. Expect to pay $400 or so US for one. I borrow rods from my US buddies as I can't justify the expense and the hassal of flying with a big rod tube anymore. Don't forget the rod and reel combos for you 40 and 60 lb set ups.................
Agreed on the 40 and 60lb setups....definitely use them more than the heavy outfit.

The Okuma PCH's XXXH and XXH get the job done for a decent price (I've got one of each) and I've heard good things about the Graphtech rail rods and they're similar in price.

I picked up a really nice Calstar railrod that I haven't had the pleasure of hanging anything on yet....September can't come soon enough.

I'm on the SOA in October. 8 day trip. No cedros this year
Is that Alan's trip he organizes every year?
I'm doing a 2.5 then a 3.5 day trip on the Ranger 85....looking at an 8 day next year to mix it up and go after bigger YT. those BFT you can love to hate them.

Yes I've done the AT cedros 3 times. Great place and love it but really expensive with exchange rate. Looking forward to the 8 day.

Back