26 Hourston Sedan Repower

Big Papa

26 Hourston.jpg

Good Day Gents,

New to the discussions, just bought a 26 sedan that has been gone through on the hull(stringers and transom). BUT, need to repower. Original stern drive was suspect, so I removed it(8.1 496 BBC). Talked to Blue Wolf Charters and he advertised the 383 stroker with a duoprop(Great guy BTW!). I like the idea. Now, should I be concerning myself with the 8.2L big block from Merc, or the VP V8 380? I'm more concerned about torque rather than top end speed, I'd like to cruise at 30mph though. I am concerned about the weight of the BBC with the addition of a kicker as well when finished. Boat will weigh 6400-6800lbs at any given time when we take it out. Money is a concern, but I'm willing to spend a little more up front to get the right power going forward. We live in Sechelt, and will use the boat mainly in Georgia Strait from Powell River South to the Gulf Islands. Also, any advice on kickers fro trolling?

Thanks again for your time guys, really enjoy learning from this site.

Paul

What a sweet looking boat. Personally I'd put the biggest fuel injected Merc big block I could afford and a bravo3 leg.

I believe I seen your boat in person at Stream Line. Thats one heck of a nice boat!

yup big block and commercial grade bravo 3 leg,, my buddy has got one in his 25' grady, very torquey, bump into gear and boat hops to it!

Sweet rig. Contact inlet marine, I am currently going through a repower on my 2359 trophy and the pricing seems the best at inlet, I would check out the 15hp pro kicker.

Have spoken with Chris at inlet marine. Yes, good quotes. The pro kicker seems like a good way to go as well. Remote steering would be handy

I'm surprised the VP V8 380 hasn't come up with the votes for big blocks. I guess the jury is still out?? I like the power to weight ratio on it

Check out intellisteer wireless steering, I am running the type r cable one, easy to hook up and pretty strong motor, reacts a little slow though. I am thinking to switch to the hydraulic version they have which is what I would recommend. I love a tr1 gold but it's so expensive and I am scared it wouldn't work

View attachment 16378

Good Day Gents,

New to the discussions, just bought a 26 sedan that has been gone through on the hull(stringers and transom). BUT, need to repower. Original stern drive was suspect, so I removed it(8.1 496 BBC). Talked to Blue Wolf Charters and he advertised the 383 stroker with a duoprop(Great guy BTW!). I like the idea. Now, should I be concerning myself with the 8.2L big block from Merc, or the VP V8 380? I'm more concerned about torque rather than top end speed, I'd like to cruise at 30mph though. I am concerned about the weight of the BBC with the addition of a kicker as well when finished. Boat will weigh 6400-6800lbs at any given time when we take it out. Money is a concern, but I'm willing to spend a little more up front to get the right power going forward. We live in Sechelt, and will use the boat mainly in Georgia Strait from Powell River South to the Gulf Islands. Also, any advice on kickers fro trolling?

Thanks again for your time guys, really enjoy learning from this site. One of the nicer ones I have seen..Looks awesome...

Paul

In all honestytake Roy's advice he knows these boats very well, and that's a very heavy boat...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go Volvo Penta, but that's just my personal preference. Go duo-prop (counter rotating) if you can afford it. 26' boat needs some serious power to push that weight. I put a vote for the big block 8.1 litre, mind you Volvo has introduced a new 6.0 litre that is cranking out 430 hp (not sure about torque comparisons) Of course there is always the diesel option! But that's a whole other story! I would suggest at least a 15 hp kicker.
It's fun spending other peoples money!!!

Mercury has the best corrosion warranty in the business right now. Get that 520 matched to a seacored leg and let her rip man!!!

The Swedes can stay at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back