25FOOT BOAT WITH ENGINE PROBLEMS LAST NIGHT

ReelAffair

I put this one in the Saltwater fishing area hoping the operater of this vessel might read it.

About 8 ish last night on chanel 68 I hear a call to ANY boats around Secretary......I heard it a few times and decided to respond, no one else had resonded.

Talked to the guy and both main engine and kicker wont run....

It was blowing almost 30 at the Race

It turns out he took some waves over the back and suspect he picked up water thru the vents

I tell him if he is in need I can come out and help...I am in the bay at Beechy, no one else respond, I tell him to try chanel 72.
I then pick up gear and head out to Beechy and call him on 72, talk to his buddy and ask if they are running.....NO it isn't, he tells me his buddy is talking to Coast Guard....I tell him I am making my way over and to let me know whats happening...I told him my call name and that I am staying on 72......As I get past the Trap Shack I call out again whats going on.....HE THEN TELLS ME COAST GUARD IS ON THE WAY.......

COMMON SENSE WOULD HAVE BEEN TO CALL BACK OUT ON THE RADIO AND LET ME KNOW YOU HAD HELP......I AM NOT OUT FOR A PAT ON THE BACK....I WOULD HELP ANYONE IN NEED...BUT HAVE SOME FU$%%# COMMON COUTESEY AND LET PEOPLE KNOW YOU HAVE HELP ON THE WAY

good on you jack for trying your usual best to help everyone i guess the guy was too excited to think straight still should have called no excuess how was the fishing thanks newfie boy

I can understand you being PISSED!!! I would be to. We don't want to loose guys like you because of ignorant people like that dip sh@#.

same here, as hali, not many respomd to calls, and appreciate those that do. I recently heard a mayday and guy said smoke in engine room, CG said they be right there, he said no I want the fire dept. they said we coming, several nanaimo boats were there quick, he kept saying why won't the fire dept answer.

On our tug, we were saying, what fire dept would that be ya moron...coast guard does all that..

Striperjack,,good on you for responding. Maybe this guy was so stressed out or in a panic mode, and forgot to call you? Btw , do you belong to the CPS ? .....BB

quote:Originally posted by Barnacle Bill

Striperjack,,good on you for responding. Maybe this guy was so stressed out or in a panic mode, and forgot to call you? Btw , do you belong to the CPS ? .....BB

CPS?....POWER SQUADRON?

if so I do not.

Maybe he was in panic mode...I will give benefit of the doubt...crap can hit the fan pretty quick

I am still a bit choked but what do you do.......

And for my efforts last night I didnt even get a fish:(

Had one heck of a freight train on at the Head..hit hard and instant scream..but didn't last long....oh well

quote:Originally posted by striperjack

quote:Originally posted by Barnacle Bill

CPS?....POWER SQUADRON?

if so I do not.

Maybe he was in panic mode...I will give benefit of the doubt...crap can hit the fan pretty quick

I am still a bit choked but what do you do.......

And for my efforts last night I didnt even get a fish:(

Had one heck of a freight train on at the Head..hit hard and instant scream..but didn't last long....oh well

Karma my friend...bet you'll have an unbelieveable day out there one of these days very soon.

Just glad to hear there are good guys out there that will come to the aid of a fellow angler.:D

Hey Guys , he should have been using channel 16 or 83a and keeping the Coast Guard up to date. As everyone knows these situations can go sideways pretty quick. Good on ya Striper Jack for lending a hand. Help from Coast Guard(auxiliary) or Commercial Assistance (me) is always going to be 30 minutes away. Fellow fishermen will always be your lifeline in a emergency situation.
Just a heads up that a new Coast Guard policy will come into effect in the fall, basically they cannot tow any boat unless human life is in danger.http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/e0010194this includes Coast Guard Auxiliary.
While I would love for everyone to sign up for a membership with C-Tow ,that is probably not going to happen!
(shameless self promotion) , If you fish or travel by water anywhere from Renfrew to Pender and get in a jam or come across someone who needs a hand and you don't want to spend your only fishing day of the month towing him in give me a call.

beemer
250-896-3783
www.C-TowVictoria.ca

Hey Beemer! I was gonna mention your service and provide your # but you beat me to it.... Good on ya Jack! Surprised that your boat would come that far west though! ;)

the 'no tow' policy has been in place with the USCG for some time. i think, but don't know for sure, that the USCG Aux can still tow. but the catch is they don't run very many patrols 'cause there is no money for fuel reimbursement from the USCG, catch 22. and of course the USCG responds, over and over again, with '...is this an emergency?...' i would really like to know that that means as i am sure the person calling the CG thinks it is.

that prompted me to sign up with a nation wide towing service but i have to agree, if there are sporties out there they are still the best bet even if they are only standing by while you are waiting for a tow.

the comments about staying on channel 16 are valid as the working channels are the clear choice to understanding what the CG is telling folks to do. down this way they usually have you switch to 22a to clear 16 but if you are trying to lend a hand, best to stay on the channels the CG works.

Emergency is a broad term that I think you would have a hard time finding a defintion for. A simple breakdown in good weather where a vessel is not in danger of sinking, drifting out to sea, washing upon rocks, etc. is not an emergency. A breakdown caused by water washing into the vessel due to 30 knot winds, that now may be washed upon the rocks is an emergency. An emergency exists because if something was not done shortly, life or the vessel was in danger. In this case, Buddy should have called CG as losing all power is a distress (Pan Pan) situation. The knowledge that the vessel was taking on water, or in danger of drifting upon rocks, would have made this an emergency (Mayday) situation. Chances are that the CGRO made the call himself based on Buddy's situation, hence the response from the Coast Guard Vessel.

I found this tidbit on the Coast Guard site.

Do I have to pay for Coast Guard or Coast Guard Auxiliary services?
The CCG and CCGA provide search and rescue services to mariners in distress free of charge. This said, in non-emergency situations, CCG and CCGA vessels will not compete with private companies. Therefore, if a boat breaks down and requires towing services but is in no immediate danger, the mariner should endeavour to make their own arrangements for assistance while keeping the CCG informed for safety reasons. The CCG and CCGA will not provide these services if a suitable commercial towing company is available to provide the assistance.

I know from experience in aviation that pilot's rarely declare an emergency. In most cases, a little problem, is a lot bigger than anyone wants to admit to. An emergency is usually acted upon based on the actions on the other side of the radio. Nobody wants to be the fool who did not act, so even minor events, get major response. The professionals do not mind responding, that's what they get paid for and it legitimizes their services. The politicians are another story, but I can guarantee you that if a service is never used, some bureaucrat will decide that you no longer need it.

The whole system is there to prevent loss of life first and property secondary. We all pay for it, so you would be a total fool if you did not utilize it when a 30 knot wind, causes your vessel to take on water. On the other hand if you run out of gas in the harbour on a glassy day, do not begrudge having to pay for a commercial tow.

Good on striperjack for wanting to help. Make sure Coast Guard knows what you are doing as crap that you never could have imagined can happen, and someone will be looking out for your butt if it does.

SeaWolf - the original

Back