25” to 30” Honda swap

brutus

Just a maybe at this point, but, I can get a 225 , 25” for cheap, mine is a thirty with a good lower unit, using my lower unit and extension how hard is it to swap ??? Ps I am not a mechanic lol, but can turn a wrench , and fix most of equipment, small engines and basic mechanical stuff on trucks and cars, motorcycles, google is my best friend sometimes but usually alway manage to get it done without f……. It up

I'm no mechanic either but from what I've learned
the key is being able to remove frozen bolts and drive shafts in order to drop the lower units.
If both motors have been maintained and serviced it shouldn't be too big a problem.

I'm no mechanic either but from what I've learned
the key is being able to remove frozen bolts and drive shafts in order to drop the lower units.
If both motors have been maintained and serviced it shouldn't be too big a problem.
Oh mine is not a problem, I take the lower of at the end of the season every year, the one for sale not sure, it’s just the swap part that I am worried about, I’ve never really looked at it without all the plastic off, just a maybe still, not sure I want to put 35-40 k on a new motor yet, my bank acc says no, my wife says yes lol

Oh mine is not a problem, I take the lower of at the end of the season every year, the one for sale not sure, it’s just the swap part that I am worried about, I’ve never really looked at it without all the plastic off, just a maybe still, not sure I want to put 35-40 k on a new motor yet, my bank acc says no, my wife says yes lol
Changing legs is an easy swap. If you have had the leg off for a water pump change you are halfway there.

Only difference between 25” and 30” on that motor should be the water tube, shift shaft, drive shaft, and the extra extension between the mid housing and the gear case. You will have to take the mid housing off to swap to the longer water tube. Make sure you put the water tube in correctly. There’s a little hole in it that squirts water on the driveshaft and lubricates the bushing in the mid section. Replace that bushing while you are in there. A common problem is the bushing wears out at wrecks the drive shaft and or the housing. Not a difficult job. Best to get a copy of the factory service manual. It will go through disassembly and reassembly step by step.

Only difference between 25” and 30” on that motor should be the water tube, shift shaft, drive shaft, and the extra extension between the mid housing and the gear case. You will have to take the mid housing off to swap to the longer water tube. Make sure you put the water tube in correctly. There’s a little hole in it that squirts water on the driveshaft and lubricates the bushing in the mid section. Replace that bushing while you are in there. A common problem is the bushing wears out at wrecks the drive shaft and or the housing. Not a difficult job. Best to get a copy of the factory service manual. It will go through disassembly and reassembly step by step.
I’ve already change the bushing in the mid , section couple years ago, looks like I might just do the swap, it would save me 30k at least, but getting rid of my Honda is been on my mind since I bought the boat, so still haven’t made my mind up

Thanks for this, starting to think I can be a mechanic for a day or two lol

Back