23 Hoursten

quote:Originally posted by Tailspin

Could be full of Dryrot, you never do know! I have hand shoveled the stringers out of a few boats in my time. Maybe Last Chance knows if the stringers were glassed in these years?

My 23 was over 30 years old, stringers were fully glassed up the sides. The tops were shaved off to make it level for the floor, but the only place water got to them was at the back near where the engine beds were. Dried one of them out, re-glassed, and it was fine. The stringers are visable the whole length of the boat, you can sound them with a Ball Peen hammer, any sound changes will alert you to problems. When on a trailer, just locate the outboard and inboard stringers, and tap your way along listening for the sound to changed.

The decks can be a little soft at times as they only put a layer of what looked like 6 oz cloth on them, but decks are easy to deal wtih, just cut out the bad, glass another hunk of 1/2" ply in.

Just lift up the doghouse, and sound your way along, lift the fuel tank hatch, you should have some access there. The cabin step in my 26 was damp due to poorly placed limber holes, but this piece isn't really strutural anyway, and was only damp, not rotten. Just tap your way along untill you get to the V-berth bulkhead, if it doesn't go "Duff" instead of a nice "Click", you are good. The transoms are quite accessable to check out, and not really a big deal to replace if need be. Poke with the blunt end of a file if it's not glassed over, if it is glassed over, tap away with your hammer.

Check around the trim tabs, these boats are heavy in the butt end, so breaking the seal around the trim caulking happened on both of mine. On my 23, I repaired an area, on my 26, it was just a little damp so I hit it hard with the heat lamps for a few weeks, dried it out, re-caulked and called it good.

The only REAL downside of the boat in the ad is the 28 year old sterndrive setup. That big aluminium leg is going to kick someone in the nuts if it hasn't been babied.

Look great with a 300 Zuker hanging off a pod[8D] I like all of the cabin space in the Hoursten's. Might be a bit hard on my Powerstroke pulling to Winter Harbour with a h23 and the 9.5 camper on. For the price i paid for my 02 21.5 Trophy i am still happy for the Sooke Vic stuff and the boyz gettaways to wherever on VI. If renny was my game then a podded out h23 sure keeps the pukers under cover better.

Bananas, how does Mark like your old ride?

quote:Originally posted by Tailspin

Look great with a 300 Zuker hanging off a pod[8D] I like all of the cabin space in the Hoursten's. Might be a bit hard on my Powerstroke pulling to Winter Harbour with a h23 and the 9.5 camper on. For the price i paid for my 02 21.5 Trophy i am still happy for the Sooke Vic stuff and the boyz gettaways to wherever on VI. If renny was my game then a podded out h23 sure keeps the pukers under cover better.

Nahhh, nothing's Hard on a Power Stroke. Except some damn kid lowering one for a SEMA display that I saw online a while ago.

Tailspin Mark loves the Northwest but isn't real happy with the black thing on the back.Can't say i blame him after owning a yam.
That was an awesome fish boat just a bit sore on the back,but a dream to fish from,sometimes wish i never sold it.

Hey TS...I have a 2007 Duramax, and an 8.5 foot camper...how does your truck pull your rig. That is one of the considerations I have. I am contemplating an alluminum boat for that reason. I am a little leary of the extra 1000lbs the Trophy 21.5 footer would add on the whole "towing experience"...

It tows fine with my F350 Superduty with the trusty 7.3. Just Panic stopping that is spooky. The Duramax has a pile more poop than a stock 7.3. My boat on the scales with a half tank of fuel is around 6000# with trailer. Camper is 2200 dry. Lots of weight there 16000# with the whole works going down the road. The Trophy is not a Grady, but a fine boat for my needs. Footfever is contagious though!

Trev,
It seems like yesterday you were putting the final touches on it downtown when me Brian and Roy popped in... Good for Mark, have not seen him since we worked together many moons ago. You guys must have a hoot out there.

Yea it doesn't seem that long ago since i first splashed the tin can.It's a good time but long days in big water means bed time is early,but there's more than few late nights at the old jack shack.

Back