2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

anyone local in Lower mainland or lower sunshine coast into doing day charter for $500....just myself....a senior citizen....from May on i will be available....would like to do a couple of them this summer....Sorry not a lot of money.....i am not opposed to going out with some one else in the boat....just want to get some fresh air and drag some spoons> Let me know....

anyone local in Lower mainland or lower sunshine coast into doing day charter for $500....just myself....a senior citizen....from May on i will be available....would like to do a couple of them this summer....Sorry not a lot of money.....i am not opposed to going out with some one else in the boat....just want to get some fresh air and drag some spoons> Let me know....
You do know no retention of springs then right?

Staying Local: If last year's regulations are repeated this year, from June 1 you will be able to keep hatchery coho in a some local areas, south Bowen was incredible last summer. Plus run to Gower Pt for chinook in a sliver of an open area early summer. Chinook slot size are next locally, and finally no slot size near fall. Pink and chum are usually 12 months.

Crossed the straight again today and didn’t see much at all other than tons of bait. Schools of herring all around us surfacing but no hits. But came back to a trap with 12 keepers out of 18. Kept our 8 and released the rest.

Attachments

• IMG_6394.jpeg
    IMG_6394.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 137
I was out at the bell for first light, picked up a 4lb cod right away. But that was it. Tough day. Lots of hits, few misses, couple that were close, and a lot that weren't. Plugs, hoochies, spoons, bottom, top, scent, no scent. Everything seemed to be working, but not. Just one of those days. I was more bothered by my bbq valve snapping off and not being able to cook up the lamb lollipops. I'll add it to the list of things to repair. Beautiful day out there.

Spent a few hours around the bell early afternoon today. Released a couple unders right away and didn't have any more action.

Saw search and rescue in the north arm on the way out as well as on the way in to Milltown. There were a bunch of clueless cops all over the dock. Seems someone went in the water and was safely rescued from what I overheard between the cops and search and rescue. Didn't get any other details.

Call Dean, excellent guide

Attachments

• IMG_0299.png
    IMG_0299.png
    417 KB · Views: 32
Beauty day, dropped traps and fished Cowan to Tunstall in the AM. Ghost town. Saw one under get netted and released. Got a couple pollock, which are so lame because you can’t tell at all when they’re on, so who knows how long they dragged for.

Headed back to the Bell, some shakers, got a flounder and a sablefish, which I kept for a taste test for dinner. Right as we were packing up I got a beauty that was 5mm under the limit. Herring aid skinny g, green flasher, 130’ on riggers in 180’ of water.

Crabbing was excellent, full limits. Prawning was so-so. First set with the new traps and one landed upside down. Ended up with a couple dozen, learned some things.

Attachments

• IMG_8355.jpeg
    IMG_8355.jpeg
    353.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8357.jpeg
    IMG_8357.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
sent you a message

Spent a few hours around the bell early afternoon today. Released a couple unders right away and didn't have any more action.

Saw search and rescue in the north arm on the way out as well as on the way in to Milltown. There were a bunch of clueless cops all over the dock. Seems someone went in the water and was safely rescued from what I overheard between the cops and search and rescue. Didn't get any other details.
I can ask my a friend what happened, he's on the Coast Guard hovercraft and usually has some good stories

Went out on a friends boat from Ladner to the Bell from 1:30-4:30. Fantastic day on the water, felt like June out there. Hooked and released one under right away just off North Arm in about 180 feet with 180 on the rigger. Black glow flasher and green/white spoon. Then nothing for hours up and west of the Bell. On the way back near North Arm and about to pull the gear, saw a fish at 153 on the sounder, and caught it! nice 70 cm winter Chinook, on the same gear as the first. Bit surprised when we filleted the fish it was a white not a red. Heard the commotion on 16 about something at Milltown, glad it turned out to be nothing. Saw a 25 ft or so white fibreglass boat fully grounded on the bar on the wrong side of Sandheads coming in. Looks like they were aiming of a gap in the rocks. Good thing they hit the mud not the rocks... Tide seemed lower than the table said it would be. Took some work getting into the slip in Ladner. The harbour and a lot of the surrounding docks need a good dredging.

Attachments

• IMG_4790.jpeg
    IMG_4790.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 58
I went out yesterday. I'm trying to find productive spots to fish that aren't often fished. So my last couple time out I've gone up towards Defense. There's a spot on the side of the highway where it narrows between the highway and Anvil island with a large creepy shack. It has three creeks feeding the area. I got consistent action from 10-2 but kept getting unders. Only one fish was close. So I moved to Defense for a couple hours, Nothing..Went back to the shack spot and more unders. Birds and bait everywhere though. I then collected my two most prawn stuffed traps of my life. So a long day with no fish, but prawns were great.

Hit Hole in the Wall today from 11-1. Out of the wind and into the sun. Checked the fishing journal and it seemed about time.

Bite was like a light switch. Nothing doing, double header, nothing doing.

IMG_7987.jpeg

72 cm and 74 cm twins. Both hatchery. Both reds.

IMG_7989.jpeg

Tried to find some more and just got shakers.

Attachments

• IMG_7988.jpeg
    IMG_7988.jpeg
    440.2 KB · Views: 23
249 prawns and 5 keeper crab. 1 just short spring at HITW, then the orcas showed up. Pretty lumpy out there

Mike
Very lumpy. I was heading to Cowan around 10:30 and turned back and went to Point Atkinson to let that squall coming out of Howe (howl) Sound calm down. Then later I went back to Seymour Bay and Cowan area and it was still very lumpy.

Back