2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Nice job on the keeper! Seems like you have to sift through quite a bit of shorts before finding one that'll tape out.

Not sure if this would interest you, as the flashlight or fixed light method might be working just fine, but figured I'd share anyway. I met a guy in Washington who has created, Glow Tube, a 12v powered, enclosed PVC tube that houses ultra bright UV light strips wrapped and coated to help be water resistant. These are big enough to hold flashers (standard shape), Spoons, lingcod/Halibut jigs and anything else you can think of. It works exceptionally well and you can mount right to your railing with a Scotty mount! Here's a few pictures including a lingcod jig charging. I think he has two models, not coated and coated. Believe pricing is between $100-$150. I am coming up to Vancouver for 3 days from Seattle on Friday February 16th. If you want one, let me know and I can bring them up for you.

-Matt
I saw that thing, and that’s actually what gave me the idea! LOL

I did the harbour today for about four hours with a member from here. The winter chinook that we were waiting for that are keeper size seem to be here now, and scrappy. There were no smalls today. Big swells and some white caps at the bell though, best action was between the mile markers in 135-155’. Spoons had a few tugs but white glow hoochies and No Bananas flasher was once again the recipe. Chilly but sunny for the most part.

Last edited:
I did the harbour today for about four hours with a member from here. The winter chinook that we were waiting for that are keeper size seem to be here now, and scrappy. There were no smalls today. Big swells and some white caps at the bell though, best action was between the mile markers in 135-155’. Spoons had a few tugs but white glow hoochies and No Bananas was once again the recipe. Chilly but sunny for the most part.
so how many keepers you get and what size were they?

We fished the harbour this afternoon. Fished the mile markers with a bunch of different gear right on the bottom. Lots of bait but no luck, maybe the tide was running to hard. It was rough with some big swells further out but more fishable further in.

We fished the harbour this afternoon. Fished the mile markers with a bunch of different gear right on the bottom. Lots of bait but no luck, maybe the tide was running to hard. It was rough with some big swells further out but more fishable further in.
What boat were you in? I was in the Bridgeview.

Does it hold a charge? Or do you need it plugged in when in use? Is there a warranty? Seems like those led straps wouldn't love saltwater corrosion.
You do need to have it plugged in. It is 12v power. I will be cutting the wall plug off and splicing in a Scotty/Marinco Plug. His new model will be heavier coated within the tube for better salt protection. If you have a covered portion of the boat, maybe cabin area or near the helm, you could plug in there and have them charging until you are ready to deploy and then when you pull gear or want to switch out colors/patterns, you can have your backup in the tube...That is my plan for now..

I was able to get a transient slip worked out with Bayshore Marina in downtown VAN, really nice guy working the office there! What will run times look like from that marina to places like: Bell Buoy, Bowen Island, Gibsons, Defence Islands, Waterfall, Tunstall, etc etc? (I understand it can be subject to weather and how fast we decide to/are able to run). Ideally, we will be dropping Spot and Crab Pots in the early AM and then trolling around the rest of the day looking for those unicorn keeper Kings. P.S. It seems almost impossible to find a spot to park my boat trailer up there! I called almost all of the harbors around the downtown corridor and they said because they are within the metro district, there isn't much for parking lots... It looks like there are some pay to park lots on google maps, but I don't know if they allow overnight parking. Does anyone have recommendations on where I can put my Shorelander?

I was able to get a transient slip worked out with Bayshore Marina in downtown VAN, really nice guy working the office there! What will run times look like from that marina to places like: Bell Buoy, Bowen Island, Gibsons, Defence Islands, Waterfall, Tunstall, etc etc? (I understand it can be subject to weather and how fast we decide to/are able to run). Ideally, we will be dropping Spot and Crab Pots in the early AM and then trolling around the rest of the day looking for those unicorn keeper Kings. P.S. It seems almost impossible to find a spot to park my boat trailer up there! I called almost all of the harbors around the downtown corridor and they said because they are within the metro district, there isn't much for parking lots... It looks like there are some pay to park lots on google maps, but I don't know if they allow overnight parking. Does anyone have recommendations on where I can put my Shorelander?
-Park at Vanier Park
-Bell and crabbing along the mile markers is 15 minutes
-Tunstall is 40 minutes
-Defense and Grace a short distance from there. If it's a bit too windy you can take the East side of Bowen up and around to Grace and you'll be protected. Save for a strong outflow from Howe Sound.
-Prawning, good luck.

bring a wheel or tongue lock for your trailer, just saying.

Does it hold a charge? Or do you need it plugged in when in use? Is there a warranty? Seems like those led straps wouldn't love saltwater corrosion.
I have a small one on my boat, the connections are fine so far, but it won't fit a flasher, just spoons and hoochies.

Web capture_5-2-2024_21447_westcoastfishingtackle.ca.jpeg

Oh boy, just like downtown Seattle and some of the rough outskirt cities then huh? Lovely..... Well, I have a swing tongue with a locking pin that I was planning on removing and then a couple locks I was going to put on one or both of the trailer wheels.

I don't know if Burrard Civic would let you store your trailer there short term; they have a big fenced yard right by the Vanier Park boat launch

I don't know if Burrard Civic would let you store your trailer there short term; they have a big fenced yard right by the Vanier Park boat launch
No, not going to let you store in the compound.

And in regards to trailers going missing at Vanier Park, I haven’t heard of this yet. It’s always good to be forward thinking, but they do patrol the lot. In other words, make sure you pay for your parking for the day.

I called Burrard and the guy said they were full/not taking spots..I am going to call again when I get closer. We have an app here in Washington called, Neighbor...Which Canada might have as well...but you can find parking and storage spots from homeowners that have extra space.

Fished the Red bell in Vancouver Harbor yesterday. 10 caught, 5 good hits missed or lost on the way in to the boat. 1 keeper on white hoochie. Stayed at 165 depth and marked lots of bait just past the bell. I even caught a large herring on my white hoochie! Caught a flounder and got a sunburn on my face. Great day for winter spring fishing. Price raise to $30.00 at Vanier Park boat launch.

Fished the Red bell in Vancouver Harbor yesterday. 10 caught, 5 good hits missed or lost on the way in to the boat. 1 keeper on white hoochie. Stayed at 165 depth and marked lots of bait just past the bell. I even caught a large herring on my white hoochie! Caught a flounder and got a sunburn on my face. Great day for winter spring fishing. Price raise to $30.00 at Vanier Park boat launch.
Finally a fishing report, thanks for confirming that those are horse herring down there

Back