2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Some of the newer folks just getting into winter fishing might find some helpful tips in this article.

Thanks for sharing that article, Aquaholic! I'm keeping my eye on the weather, as that will probably be my main decision factor for the Go / No-Go call on next month's possible trip...I know my son would enjoy just being in a new area, dropping some Prawn and Crab pots to sort through, even seeing a whale...From what I've read/heard on the forum and other sites, the bite can turn on with the drop of a hat...

Thanks for sharing that article, Aquaholic! I'm keeping my eye on the weather, as that will probably be my main decision factor for the Go / No-Go call on next month's possible trip...I know my son would enjoy just being in a new area, dropping some Prawn and Crab pots to sort through, even seeing a whale...From what I've read/heard on the forum and other sites, the bite can turn on with the drop of a hat...
Just book it. You won't know the real forecast until three days in advance. Lots of places to fish that offer some protection.

Hey guys... and gals! 😉
Been off the water for the last 3 years after switching It up during Covid having swapped the boat for an RV but plan to get back on the water this summer.
The brother is planning his epic vacation too come fish the West Coast this summer and looking for the best weeks for him to come out.
Can anyone give me some ideas on when the most likely dates are for important openings or increases in retention for around the months of August and September given what's happened in the past few years.
The other big decision is whether to go aluminum or fiberglass on our next boat but that's a whole other discussion. 😉

Labour Day long weekend is a safe bet CohoOn
Book the 4 days off now and make it a 9-day break to entertain the family and run over there on a flat day. Usually open at Sandheads with 1 slot-sized spring, 1 hatch coho, 4 pink semi-restricted type of retention per person - at that time ( South Arm Fraser ) , with lots of fish around and hard to get skunked. Troll an Irish cream spoon or an anchovy / small herring rigged at 70 feet, behind a chartreuse /chrome flasher just northwest of the pack and will do fine. Bear in mind we are at the mercy of DFO and no man will know the hour or day kind of stuff for retention. But a fun day is guaranteed regardless. Tight lines in 2024 all, see all you fine fellow fisherfolk out there!

Last edited:
Fished 9-3 yesterday around the Bell, sporty at times, but productive. Skinny G-kitchen sink at 85 on the rigger, with herring aid glow flasher was consistently busy. 3" herring aid with black glow flasher got good action too. Trolling 40-50ft behind the clip. Found big bait between 90-115fow, and seemed most hits came during or right after a change in speed, direction, or depth. Two reds one orange, all female, one marked. Only saw a couple of other boats, had the place to ourselves, good times.

Attachments

• 6083941098483594857.jpg
    6083941098483594857.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 136
  • -5030217902519015150.jpg
    -5030217902519015150.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 134
  • -8302374067994708642 (1).jpg
    -8302374067994708642 (1).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 134
Fished 9-3 yesterday around the Bell, sporty at times, but productive. Skinny G-kitchen sink at 85 on the rigger, with herring aid glow flasher was consistently busy. 3" herring aid with black glow flasher got good action too. Trolling 40-50ft behind the clip. Found big bait between 90-115fow, and seemed most hits came during or right after a change in speed, direction, or depth. Two reds one orange, all female, one marked. Only saw a couple of other boats, had the place to ourselves, good times.
Nice to see they’ve grown at the Bell
That’s an underrated tip… changing speed, depth, turns etc. I often get hits like that and forget to mention it.

Trolled just out of the north arm 11-1pm today. Bonked a 65cm hatchery, released four unders and missed both fish on a double header and several others. All the action was on hoochies and chartreuse flashers, near bottom in 130-160'. Conditions were good, just a bit of chop and no rain. Before heading out I noticed one snubber was cut through two thirds of the way somehow. Luckily I had a spare to swap it with. I tried pulling on it to see how much effort it would take to break but it held together even with a substantial amount of force.

Attachments

• IMG_0874.jpeg
    IMG_0874.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0861.jpeg
    IMG_0861.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0868.jpeg
    IMG_0868.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 155
Labour Day long weekend is a safe bet CohoOn
Book the 4 days off now and make it a 9-day break to entertain the family and run over there on a flat day. Usually open at Sandheads with 1 slot-sized spring, 1 hatch coho, 4 pink semi-restricted type of retention per person - at that time ( South Arm Fraser ) , with lots of fish around and hard to get skunked. Troll an Irish cream spoon or an anchovy / small herring rigged at 70 feet, behind a chartreuse /chrome flasher just northwest of the pack and will do fine. Bear in mind we are at the mercy of DFO and no man will know the hour or day kind of stuff for retention. But a fun day is guaranteed regardless. Tight lines in 2024 all, see all you fine fellow fisherfolk out there!
Thanks very much for the Intel! Now on to the big decision between aluminum and fiberglass for our next boat.

thats awesome nice size feeders

Trolled just out of the north arm 11-1pm today. Bonked a 65cm hatchery, released four unders and missed both fish on a double header and several others. All the action was on hoochies and chartreuse flashers, near bottom in 130-160'. Conditions were good, just a bit of chop and no rain. Before heading out I noticed one snubber was cut through two thirds of the way somehow. Luckily I had a spare to swap it with. I tried pulling on it to see how much effort it would take to break but it held together even with a substantial amount of force.
wow u did get lucky

Went for an overnighter in Gibsons to visit my old man over there. Fished Friday couple hours each at Waterfall, Grace, and outside near camp byng and nothing, just a few unders. Skunked. Then my old man shows me the 3 bananas he brought 🤦‍♂️

Tried again this morning at Grace no luck. Went to Tunstall for a last try and finally bagged a 63cm after a few more unders. Tried all kinds of gear but the white glow hoochie saved the day.

Set up a bright a** light to charge up the glow on the flashers, works great. Except for the fish I didn’t catch… IMG_4607.jpeg
IMG_4609.jpeg

Went for an overnighter in Gibsons to visit my old man over there. Fished Friday couple hours each at Waterfall, Grace, and outside near camp byng and nothing, just a few unders. Skunked. Then my old man shows me the 3 bananas he brought 🤦‍♂️

Tried again this morning at Grace no luck. Went to Tunstall for a last try and finally bagged a 63cm after a few more unders. Tried all kinds of gear but the white glow hoochie saved the day.

Set up a bright a** light to charge up the glow on the flashers, works great. Except for the fish I didn’t catch… View attachment 102560
View attachment 102559

Nice job on the keeper! Seems like you have to sift through quite a bit of shorts before finding one that'll tape out.

Not sure if this would interest you, as the flashlight or fixed light method might be working just fine, but figured I'd share anyway. I met a guy in Washington who has created, Glow Tube, a 12v powered, enclosed PVC tube that houses ultra bright UV light strips wrapped and coated to help be water resistant. These are big enough to hold flashers (standard shape), Spoons, lingcod/Halibut jigs and anything else you can think of. It works exceptionally well and you can mount right to your railing with a Scotty mount! Here's a few pictures including a lingcod jig charging. I think he has two models, not coated and coated. Believe pricing is between $100-$150. I am coming up to Vancouver for 3 days from Seattle on Friday February 16th. If you want one, let me know and I can bring them up for you.

-Matt

Attachments

• 20240203_201423.jpg
    20240203_201423.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 20240203_201703.jpg
    20240203_201703.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20240203_201734.jpg
    20240203_201734.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 20240203_202054.jpg
    20240203_202054.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 84
Nice job on the keeper! Seems like you have to sift through quite a bit of shorts before finding one that'll tape out.

Not sure if this would interest you, as the flashlight or fixed light method might be working just fine, but figured I'd share anyway. I met a guy in Washington who has created, Glow Tube, a 12v powered, enclosed PVC tube that houses ultra bright UV light strips wrapped and coated to help be water resistant. These are big enough to hold flashers (standard shape), Spoons, lingcod/Halibut jigs and anything else you can think of. It works exceptionally well and you can mount right to your railing with a Scotty mount! Here's a few pictures including a lingcod jig charging. I think he has two models, not coated and coated. Believe pricing is between $100-$150. I am coming up to Vancouver for 3 days from Seattle on Friday February 16th. If you want one, let me know and I can bring them up for you.

-Matt

-Matt
Does it hold a charge? Or do you need it plugged in when in use? Is there a warranty? Seems like those led straps wouldn't love saltwater corrosion.

Reactions: dhk
Back