2023 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best tuna report ever! Were you in the seahawk for this trip? What sea anchor do you use? I’ve thought about heading out in the evening while the crew sleeps but not drifting like we used to do commercial fishing.
Thanks for your complement on the report....
I went out with my big boat (Argo), not the Northriver Seahawk - I tried last year with Seahawk once, and did not like it much due to the very spartan/non-existent living/sleeping arrangements. The Seahawk is a day-boat. Period. It fishes/rides good, but not for those long-haul trips.

The sea anchor I used was the Para-Tech, 32' diameter model - enough to anchor/heave-to 80-tonne Argo. Generally the system limits an overnight drift to less than 3 nm and the crew-comfort is paramount. I highly recommend the sea anchor system, if you intend on overnight stay out there. A CAUTION - I've alreay fauled the anchor rode twice with the running gears. DO SOME SERIOUS PRACTICES before you use it. Good luck!

Thanks for your complement on the report....
I went out with my big boat (Argo), not the Northriver Seahawk - I tried last year with Seahawk once, and did not like it much due to the very spartan/non-existent living/sleeping arrangements. The Seahawk is a day-boat. Period. It fishes/rides good, but not for those long-haul trips.

The sea anchor I used was the Para-Tech, 32' diameter model - enough to anchor/heave-to 80-tonne Argo. Generally the system limits an overnight drift to less than 3 nm and the crew-comfort is paramount. I highly recommend the sea anchor system, if you intend on overnight stay out there. A CAUTION - I've alreay fauled the anchor rode twice with the running gears. DO SOME SERIOUS PRACTICES before you use it. Good luck!
Thank you for the excellent report and the info on the sea anchor system. I’m thinking about overnighting on our boat next year hunting albacore.

First tuna trip for me just wrapped up. Fished Louden Friday afternoon then drifted the night and went at it hard on Saturday.

No fish for us Friday so Saturday we moved further out into the 3000’s. After a slow start got my cherry popped by a peanut at 6:00. Nothing else until 7:30 then it lite up for us. Final tally was 53. Fish were pretty much on everything we were dragging but the diving boats and long Dabos were our best catchers. Lots of small schools of jumpers and best water for us was over 66 degrees. Water was flat and it was a perfect day for a rookie. No real big fish for us but they all looked great bleeding in the tote.

Great experience and 2 terrific teachers for me.

Attachments

• IMG_1270.jpeg
    IMG_1270.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 154
Hello everyone!
Introducing myself - A fishing nut: drive boats, kill fish, then cook 'em up for the crew and family
The boat names are : Argo (73' Long Range Yacht Fisher) and Argo II (29' Northriver Seahawk Walkaround)
Based in Bamfield : Been there for the past 30 years (Tyee Lodge - Crown Charters - Argo's Landing, since 2019)
Currently at odd with the DFO for 2 summons to answer in 2024 Jan. & Mar. - possibly facing "Lifetime Fishing Ban", but we shall see....

An intel for all tuna fishing guys....
Sep. 4 : Went out on 10:00 toward to 10 nm SWS of "460 FA" spot (Barkley Canyon), based on Windy.com SST showing 62F. Arrived at 19:00, deployed sea-anchor for the night. Sea condition was 10 knt SW wind and 6' modest swells.
Sep. 5 : At 06:30 pulled in sea-anchor and started troll (6 knt/hr) with 5 rods (2 rabbits on outer lines, all with Zuker in blue/black, light blue, Mexican flags). Picked up 3 tuna in an hour, then followed bird actions / jumping fish in the direction of SWS (toward to US/Canada border) found 62.5F SST and 6 more fish until highnoon. Moved on 315 deg. toward to Loudoun Canyon for 10 nm, finding colder water at 60.5F so swinging back on opposite tack. At about 15:00 found willing schools of tuna, picked up 18 pieces until 19:30 - this was when I hit 61.5F+ SST. Total count was 27 (50+ hook ups) for 13 hours of fishing, the biggest one was 32 pounds. Drove back toward to Bamfield, stopped 10 nm shy of Rat's Nose then put out the sea-achor for the night.
Sep. 6 : After good night of sleep and nice breakfast, hauled in the sea-anchor and started troll for salmon until I reached Rat's Nose - added 14 coho and 7 chinook. Pulled in the gear at 14:00, heading back to Bamfield. Tied up Argo at Argo's Landing on 18:00.

I just checked Windy.com SST - Looks like the temperature contour is still intact (Note: Loudoun Canyon area, about 60 nm out showed 63F, so this 63F water is from US/Canada border to Loudoun Canyon area, evenly distributed). Go find your fish!
PLACE TO CHECK : 10 nm SW-SWS-S of "460 FA" spot (65 nm from Cape Beale). Good luck!

I will be out again on Sep. 12 ~ 17. If you see me on the water, call me on 69. Tight lines!
You had me at possible lifetime fishing ban

Hello everyone!
Introducing myself - A fishing nut: drive boats, kill fish, then cook 'em up for the crew and family
The boat names are : Argo (73' Long Range Yacht Fisher) and Argo II (29' Northriver Seahawk Walkaround)
Based in Bamfield : Been there for the past 30 years (Tyee Lodge - Crown Charters - Argo's Landing, since 2019)
Currently at odd with the DFO for 2 summons to answer in 2024 Jan. & Mar. - possibly facing "Lifetime Fishing Ban", but we shall see....

An intel for all tuna fishing guys....
Sep. 4 : Went out on 10:00 toward to 10 nm SWS of "460 FA" spot (Barkley Canyon), based on Windy.com SST showing 62F. Arrived at 19:00, deployed sea-anchor for the night. Sea condition was 10 knt SW wind and 6' modest swells.
Sep. 5 : At 06:30 pulled in sea-anchor and started troll (6 knt/hr) with 5 rods (2 rabbits on outer lines, all with Zuker in blue/black, light blue, Mexican flags). Picked up 3 tuna in an hour, then followed bird actions / jumping fish in the direction of SWS (toward to US/Canada border) found 62.5F SST and 6 more fish until highnoon. Moved on 315 deg. toward to Loudoun Canyon for 10 nm, finding colder water at 60.5F so swinging back on opposite tack. At about 15:00 found willing schools of tuna, picked up 18 pieces until 19:30 - this was when I hit 61.5F+ SST. Total count was 27 (50+ hook ups) for 13 hours of fishing, the biggest one was 32 pounds. Drove back toward to Bamfield, stopped 10 nm shy of Rat's Nose then put out the sea-achor for the night.
Sep. 6 : After good night of sleep and nice breakfast, hauled in the sea-anchor and started troll for salmon until I reached Rat's Nose - added 14 coho and 7 chinook. Pulled in the gear at 14:00, heading back to Bamfield. Tied up Argo at Argo's Landing on 18:00.

I just checked Windy.com SST - Looks like the temperature contour is still intact (Note: Loudoun Canyon area, about 60 nm out showed 63F, so this 63F water is from US/Canada border to Loudoun Canyon area, evenly distributed). Go find your fish!
PLACE TO CHECK : 10 nm SW-SWS-S of "460 FA" spot (65 nm from Cape Beale). Good luck!

I will be out again on Sep. 12 ~ 17. If you see me on the water, call me on 69. Tight lines!
Nice to see you motoring in the harbour much slower :)

Final results from the Bamfield Tuna Derby. Congrats to Swell Dancer and crew. 4 hogs for the win.PXL_20230916_234505598.MP.jpg

Epic week. Fishable water on 5 of the 8 days. Lots of fish about 60 miles out in Loudon Canyon. Fish were very large this year. Most fish were 21 -25 pounds and a few over 30 per the board.

My boat (Netminder) got out 4 times for the week. Best day was Friday where we motored out overnight and had 24 on the deck by 12:30 when we pulled the pin. Lots of triples and general bloody mayhem. Many boats were pulling 30 -40 fish in a day.

We were wishing we had 2 speed reels as you often had to use your thumb to slow down your reel with your drag fully cranked. Incredibly strong fish. Several gear failures.

Can't wait until next year.

Final results from the Bamfield Tuna Derby. Congrats to Swell Dancer and crew. 4 hogs for the win.View attachment 97974

Epic week. Fishable water on 5 of the 8 days. Lots of fish about 60 miles out in Loudon Canyon. Fish were very large this year. Most fish were 21 -25 pounds and a few over 30 per the board.

My boat (Netminder) got out 4 times for the week. Best day was Friday where we motored out overnight and had 24 on the deck by 12:30 when we pulled the pin. Lots of triples and general bloody mayhem. Many boats were pulling 30 -40 fish in a day.

We were wishing we had 2 speed reels as you often had to use your thumb to slow down your reel with your drag fully cranked. Incredibly strong fish. Several gear failures.

Thanks for the summary! Sounds like a wicked time. What was the prize money like and was there a side bet?

Final results from the Bamfield Tuna Derby. Congrats to Swell Dancer and crew. 4 hogs for the win.View attachment 97974

I seen you towing your rig just north of Nanaimo. It's pretty big on the trailer

Cagrates

It was great meeting your team up there this year...look forward to talking to you next year :)

Gotta like a local bringing it home
Congratulations Trophy wife!! Looks like you had some high grade long fins for sure.
Not sure how to post without hitting the reply button.
Just wanted to share the last weeks action up in WH.
We had a shot sept 9th as water was dreamy. Off the dock at 5 am, All smiles added a flir to his 285 conquest, and offered to lead the pack. After a two hour run out to the shark fin ( 30 nm ) we saw a spike in water temp from 57 to 60 degrees in 1.5 miles. All smiles stopped and set gear. We carried on another 3 nm till we hit 62, and deployed.
We had our first 3 peices of gear out and heard “Hook Up” ….. All Smiles was on!
We kept setting our gear, 11 lines. Trolled for 15 min, and reels steered screening! Single, double, triple!! The crew woke up quickly 😂!
The bite was fast and furious in the first couple hours, then died off to the search. We all scratched away and got a lot of singles with perfect tails, so non schooling fish.
The day ended up in the high teens, low 20’s between all us boats. I will say the size was decent, largest was 25lb 12oz.
We had 2 blow days after that, then made a run again sept 13th. Off the dock again 5am, All smiles led once again with his FLIR , great tool for dark runs. On the grounds by 6:30 am, we had 4 lines out of 13 down and HOOK UP! Quick out of the gate, however didn’t last long. We had 4 in the slush by 8am and then the lul. Scratched away get the next couple hours to add another 2!
Then I spot a fin of a shark as we are trolling at 6.5 to 7.3 km, and 2 min later the port outrigger line goes off!! My crew on deck starts yelling favor me, we are going to get spooled! I turn the boat, crossing all lines 🤦‍♂️ and started chasing this thing! Crazy to say the least!! We are chasing a shark, while all I hear from our buddy boats is “ hook up” and we are chasing a large shark. We went 1.45 hours and 2.5 nm fighting this thing before finally getting a visual of it. After googling salmon sharks, and Mako sharks, it was definitely a mako! Probably 10 to 12 feet long, and 30 inches wide. We had him 10 feet under the boat, foul hooked in the pectoral fin? He rolled, turned, and left..,, snapped the rod, and broke the line. What an experience to say the least! Once we were a half hour in on the battle, we were committed. However we missed out on the tuna bite as our buddy boats hooked into 15 to 18 tuna each while we chased that beast for 2.5 NM
Was a fantastic tuna season once again out of WH early September, 30 NM off the light! Can’t wait for the 2024 tuna adventures!!!

We hooked a small salmon shark (maybe 40#) up in Haidi Gwaii about 2 weeks ago. Looked like a mako that swam into a wall and hit it hard. Hahahaha. Toothy bugger!

Last edited:
We booked a small salmon shark (maybe 40#) up in Haidi Gwaii about 2 weeks ago. Looked like a mako that swam into a wall and hit it hard. Hahahaha. Toothy bugger!
IMG_20190407_123140_hdr.jpgIMG_20190407_123109_hdr.jpg
130# in the Charlotte's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back