2023 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great read so much info, I’ll get out one of these years.
Good luck to all and safe seas! 🎣

I know there were quite a few boats out from Ukee/Bam/Tofino yesterday. Any reports? Still trying to make it happen for tomorrow.

We are getting excited!!! Looking at a Saturday run from Ukee ourselves. Any another boats are welcome to join. Enjoy the hunt for those out today and Friday.

We are getting excited!!! Looking at a Saturday run from Ukee ourselves. Any another boats are welcome to join. Enjoy the hunt for those out today and Friday.
The fleet from the Bamfield Tuna Derby (including myself) will be heading offshore on Saturday so you shouldn't have any problem finding other boats (and hopefully tuna).

Went out yesterday afternoon 3pm picked up 2 fish off ukee..today another 2. Great water, great temperatures and clarity but some slow fishing. Slept like babies last night the water was so calm. Good size fish but if this was my job we would be chapter 11.

3 fish yesterday louden to Barkley out to the 60 mile 6000' edge. No jumpers, birds, or mammals out there for us.Pretty slow. Hope it turns on for the bam show.

3 fish yesterday louden to Barkley out to the 60 mile 6000' edge. No jumpers, birds, or mammals out there for us.Pretty slow. Hope it turns on for the bam show.
Sounds like our trip. Good fun but more tuna would be good.

Got my first shot at tuna yesterday out of Ukee. Fortunately the weather and water was outstanding. Unfortunately the fishing was slow. We saw some jumpers on the way out and made a stop. Right away got one on the hand line. Then circled back and got one in the rod. Had 2 in the boat in the first half hour of fishing. Then nothing until a single just after noon I grabbed the hand line and right away the tuna popped off. I was crushed for a second and then another jumped on while I was holding it. For a total of 3.
Great experience. Got a taste of it and now i want more!

I know there were quite a few boats out from Ukee/Bam/Tofino yesterday. Any reports? Still trying to make it happen for tomorrow.
Wait for it…. Report will be coming shortly. Facebook ones are pretty consistent 50 miles
Got my first shot at tuna yesterday out of Ukee. Fortunately the weather and water was outstanding. Unfortunately the fishing was slow. We saw some jumpers on the way out and made a stop. Right away got one on the hand line. Then circled back and got one in the rod. Had 2 in the boat in the first half hour of fishing. Then nothing until a single just after noon I grabbed the hand line and right away the tuna popped off. I was crushed for a second and then another jumped on while I was holding it. For a total of 3.
Great experience. Got a taste of it and now i want more!
Nice work! The first one is such a thrill!

One for the books today. Ran 60 miles out of Barkley Sound today and picked up 27. Like a millpond out there all day.

First one on within 10 minutes of getting the lines in just before 9 am and it was over 25 lbs. Lots of jumpers, birds and bait around kept things steady and we had 20 by 11:30 am. Then things went quiet; still lots of bait, but no fish or bird activity for a couple hours. Picked up the last one just after three and it was also over 25 lbs. Bunch more over 20, but the two biggest bookended the day.

About a half dozen salmon sharks on the surface and lots of baby molas. Saw a fin whale which was a first.

Hello everyone!
Introducing myself - A fishing nut: drive boats, kill fish, then cook 'em up for the crew and family
The boat names are : Argo (73' Long Range Yacht Fisher) and Argo II (29' Northriver Seahawk Walkaround)
Based in Bamfield : Been there for the past 30 years (Tyee Lodge - Crown Charters - Argo's Landing, since 2019)
Currently at odd with the DFO for 2 summons to answer in 2024 Jan. & Mar. - possibly facing "Lifetime Fishing Ban", but we shall see....

An intel for all tuna fishing guys....
Sep. 4 : Went out on 10:00 toward to 10 nm SWS of "460 FA" spot (Barkley Canyon), based on Windy.com SST showing 62F. Arrived at 19:00, deployed sea-anchor for the night. Sea condition was 10 knt SW wind and 6' modest swells.
Sep. 5 : At 06:30 pulled in sea-anchor and started troll (6 knt/hr) with 5 rods (2 rabbits on outer lines, all with Zuker in blue/black, light blue, Mexican flags). Picked up 3 tuna in an hour, then followed bird actions / jumping fish in the direction of SWS (toward to US/Canada border) found 62.5F SST and 6 more fish until highnoon. Moved on 315 deg. toward to Loudoun Canyon for 10 nm, finding colder water at 60.5F so swinging back on opposite tack. At about 15:00 found willing schools of tuna, picked up 18 pieces until 19:30 - this was when I hit 61.5F+ SST. Total count was 27 (50+ hook ups) for 13 hours of fishing, the biggest one was 32 pounds. Drove back toward to Bamfield, stopped 10 nm shy of Rat's Nose then put out the sea-achor for the night.
Sep. 6 : After good night of sleep and nice breakfast, hauled in the sea-anchor and started troll for salmon until I reached Rat's Nose - added 14 coho and 7 chinook. Pulled in the gear at 14:00, heading back to Bamfield. Tied up Argo at Argo's Landing on 18:00.

I just checked Windy.com SST - Looks like the temperature contour is still intact (Note: Loudoun Canyon area, about 60 nm out showed 63F, so this 63F water is from US/Canada border to Loudoun Canyon area, evenly distributed). Go find your fish!
PLACE TO CHECK : 10 nm SW-SWS-S of "460 FA" spot (65 nm from Cape Beale). Good luck!

I will be out again on Sep. 12 ~ 17. If you see me on the water, call me on 69. Tight lines!

Last edited:
Hello everyone!
Introducing myself - A fishing nut: drive boats, kill fish, then cook 'em up for the crew and family
The boat names are : Argo (73' Long Range Yacht Fisher) and Argo II (29' Northriver Seahawk Walkaround)
Based in Bamfield : Been there for the past 30 years (Tyee Lodge - Crown Charters - Argo's Landing, since 2019)
Currently at odd with the DFO for 2 summons to answer in 2024 Jan. & Mar. - possibly facing "Lifetime Fishing Ban", but we shall see....

An intel for all tuna fishing guys....
Sep. 4 : Went out on 10:00 toward to 10 nm SWS of "460 FA" spot (Barkley Canyon), based on Windy.com SST showing 62F. Arrived at 19:00, deployed sea-anchor for the night. Sea condition was 10 knt SW wind and 6' modest swells.
Sep. 5 : At 06:30 pulled in sea-anchor and started troll (6 knt/hr) with 5 rods (2 rabbits on outer lines, all with Zuker in blue/black, light blue, Mexican flags). Picked up 3 tuna in an hour, then followed bird actions / jumping fish in the direction of SWS (toward to US/Canada border) found 62.5F SST and 6 more fish until highnoon. Moved on 315 deg. toward to Loudoun Canyon for 10 nm, finding colder water at 60.5F so swinging back on opposite tack. At about 15:00 found willing schools of tuna, picked up 18 pieces until 19:30 - this was when I hit 61.5F+ SST. Total count was 27 (50+ hook ups) for 13 hours of fishing, the biggest one was 32 pounds. Drove back toward to Bamfield, stopped 10 nm shy of Rat's Nose then put out the sea-achor for the night.
Sep. 6 : After good night of sleep and nice breakfast, hauled in the sea-anchor and started troll for salmon until I reached Rat's Nose - added 14 coho and 7 chinook. Pulled in the gear at 14:00, heading back to Bamfield. Tied up Argo at Argo's Landing on 18:00.

I just checked Windy.com SST - Looks like the temperature contour is still intact (Note: Loudoun Canyon area, about 60 nm out showed 63F, so this 63F water is from US/Canada border to Loudoun Canyon area, evenly distributed). Go find your fish!
PLACE TO CHECK : 10 nm SW-SWS-S of "460 FA" spot (65 nm from Cape Beale). Good luck!

I will be out again on Sep. 12 ~ 17. If you see me on the water, call me on 69. Tight lines!
Best tuna report ever! Were you in the seahawk for this trip? What sea anchor do you use? I’ve thought about heading out in the evening while the crew sleeps but not drifting like we used to do commercial fishing.

Great tuna trip to Winter Harbour with Oli's a few days ago. Left the dock at 530 and ran out 35 miles to where the action was the previous couple of days. Lots of birds diving for bait and tuna jumping all over. Started out pretty slow with two tuna caught in the first 2 hours. Had one break the line on the planer board. After a few hours we got into a bigger school and it was on! First tuna trip for me and it was awesome getting into a big school and getting 10 fish in a quick 15 to 20 minutes! Lots of kelp and debris which seemed to attract the schools but made for lots of gear checks. We ended up with 12 tuna. The biggest was 26 pounds with the fish averaging 20 pounds. It was pretty neat being that far offshore for the first time and seeing albatross and lots of other marine life.

Oli's runs a top notch charter and I would recommend them if your looking for a great tuna experience.

Attachments

• IMG_1694.jpg
    IMG_1694.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 124
  • Resized_20230907_172349.jpeg
    Resized_20230907_172349.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 124
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back