Status
Not open for further replies.
It was quite the weekend on the water. You couldn't have asked for better weather to have a Derby. First of all I have to thank all of the Volunteers, and sponsors that make this Derby happen. I managed to pull off second place with a 14.2 caught off of Coal. I decided to head out again today for a bit and pulled in a 15.8 within the first 15min.

Attachments

• 15.pdf
    356.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 14.pdf
    327.8 KB · Views: 49
It was quite the weekend on the water. You couldn't have asked for better weather to have a Derby. First of all I have to thank all of the Volunteers, and sponsors that make this Derby happen. I managed to pull off second place with a 14.2 caught off of Coal. I decided to head out again today for a bit and pulled in a 15.8 within the first 15min.
Hi Popeye, What was the winning fish in the Derby and Congrats on 2nd.

I believe sfbc member gham's daughter won it with a 15.8!

My fishing partner had a really good fish on, dumping line like crazy and then suddenly it went slack... the welded ring on a brand new gibbs flasher fresh outta the package broke at the weld and he lost the whole leader. He was convinced it was 20+ but you never know until its in the boat!

I had 3 brand new Gibbs pretied large hali hootchie rigs fail the crimps right out of the bag twice. On fish. Until I grabbed the third one put of the package and pulled on the line and watch it slide right out of the crimp. Bye bye lighthouse :(

Great colors on flashers and the worse hardware. Grab a big shooter guide series and compare the hardware.

I had 3 brand new Gibbs pretied large hali hootchie rigs fail the crimps right out of the bag twice. On fish. Until I grabbed the third one put of the package and pulled on the line and watch it slide right out of the crimp. Bye bye lighthouse :(

Great colors on flashers and the worse hardware. Grab a big shooter guide series and compare the hardware.

The kids they have assembling this stuff have probably never even seen a salmon or halibut

At the weld on the ring that connects the back of the flasher to the swivel. Never had that happen before, just a bit of bad luck at the wrong time. Now I know to check for that I guess!

I’ve seen some pretty suspect welds on the rings on flashers a couple of times. Certainly worth checking.

I’ve seen it more often on the welded rings on Gibbs spoons…lost a fish once to ring failure on a new g force spoon.

I believe sfbc member gham's daughter won it with a 15.8!

My fishing partner had a really good fish on, dumping line like crazy and then suddenly it went slack... the welded ring on a brand new gibbs flasher fresh outta the package broke at the weld and he lost the whole leader. He was convinced it was 20+ but you never know until its in the boat!
That’s right! She’s still grinning ear to ear with the trophy in her bedroom. Here’s the winning combo she picked. But what a slow day fishing…. Our 15.8 was the only keeper of the day for us.

Attachments

• 5BD74270-0303-473F-A9F2-DE3BBBE94E33.jpeg
    5BD74270-0303-473F-A9F2-DE3BBBE94E33.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 169
That’s right! She’s still grinning ear to ear with the trophy in her bedroom. Here’s the winning combo she picked. But what a slow day fishing…. Our 15.8 was the only keeper of the day for us.
Yeah that’s my head this time of year

Wow thats awesome Gham. I wish I could have entered the derby busy that weekend. 1 fish is all it takes. If she has the trophy who has the money Lol?

Plenty of coho out yesterday, many +10. Dodged other boats at Coal for a while then decided to do a long troll tack down wind to the Spit. Didn’t make it as it got very hot on the first half of that leg. No legal hatchery but big brutish wild ones. Been a while since I felt a big coho - you gotta be quick when they run to the surface like that. Brown Big Eye lures on green mylars, 3/4 to the bottom.

I took the kids out after school today trying to catch the slack tide off coal. We caught about 6 shakers today and one maybe 2 pound. Are we too shallow or possibly just not in the right area? If we keep hitting those is it best to move somewhere else. Most were caught at 60' in 130-180' water north of the little group of islands. We kept adjusting the lines between 110' and 50'.

I thought of trying Fairfax point tomorrow. Trying to get one with the kids before we pull the boat to clean it for the winter.

Any tips are appreciated :)

@smokedvw
It wasn’t just you.

Tried past Hamley with @Gham around 4pm-7 for the pm slack. I checked the line after about 30 mins and had a spring so small on it rolled like an anchovy.
Really quiet afternoon, no fishy action of any sort until one hit at the end was an undersized cod near coal.
Great time with a good bud and always love being on the water! Thanks fella

It’s hard to keep kids interested in fishing if they just sit around looking at lifeless rods. So instead of heading out of sooke to try fishing. We decided to head out of Sidney to do some prawning. After dropping prawn trap we decided to just drift around and just happened to go pass HMCS Mackenzie. They were quite fascinated by how it shows up on the sonar.

IMG_3258.jpeg

It’s hard to keep kids interested in fishing if they just sit around looking at lifeless rods. So instead of heading out of sooke to try fishing. We decided to head out of Sidney to do some prawning. After dropping prawn trap we decided to just drift around and just happened to go pass HMCS Mackenzie. They were quite fascinated by how it shows up on the sonar.

I want to do that in Chemainus with the Boeing 737 artificial reef, as it would look interesting seeing a jet on the sonar on the ocean floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back