Status
Not open for further replies.
Brett I seldom give the spot where I’m fishing even in the Sooke Reports where I fish much more. Mostly out of respect for the few regulars who fish there often and who I might call to get a report. If telling me results in a flood of boats showing up a day or two later…I’ll be cut off and i wouldn’t blame them. If big crowds are already on a spot and the word is out….then I’ll mention the spot.

Brett I seldom give the spot where I’m fishing even in the Sooke Reports where I fish much more. Mostly out of respect for the few regulars who fish there often and who I might call to get a report. If telling me results in a flood of boats showing up a day or two later…I’ll be cut off and i wouldn’t blame them. If big crowds are already on a spot and the word is out….then I’ll mention the spot.
Ok fair enough. But this is why I don’t report of you’re going to make the report why just not say the spot seems rather Bragy as there’s not much useful info if no spot given.

Ok fair enough. But this is why I don’t report of you’re going to make the report why just not say the spot seems rather Bragy as there’s not much useful info if no spot given.
Me thinks that what is important is there are fish to be caught in the Sidney area right now.
Power Wharf, Coal Island - Sidney Spit area has always been worth a try this time of the year
Go find them. No need for an exact location and on what tide!
I will wait for the sooke to renfrew fish to show up for my annual 10 chinook limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gone fishing has it exactly. There are fish out there so its worth the effort to splash the boat and find them especially for the next few days while you can bring one home. If they are in the one spot where I've tried they may also be in other spots too....I don't know...I could be in the worst spot for all I know.

Gave powder warf a go today, lost a mid teen hatchery around 2:30. The thing was going absolutely insane. Popped the clip and rod was buried in the water screaming line out. Grabbed the rod and thought it was gone but suddenly it came flying out of the water and continued jumping probably 4-5 times. Finally got it to the boat and it spit the hook while trying to see if it was a hatchery. Even after it was off the line the thing jumped probably 10 times clear out of the water doing circles around the boat. It even hit the boat on one of the jumps! If I didn’t see it up close I would have sworn it was over 25 lbs by the way it was fighting. After that it went dead with just 1 small wild I released. Kids were hungry for dinner so I called it at 5:30. Just as I reached for the rod a fish hit, started reeling and the other side started started peeling line. Managed to solo land a double header and called it a day! Both hatchery and smaller was around 8 lbs bigger was around 14 lbs. There were a few other boats fishing there but didn’t see anything else landed. Was a slow day except for the end.

The water condition is not bad and the tides could be better for this area however ther are fish out there. There is still opportunity to pack the freezer.

Gave powder warf a go today, lost a mid teen hatchery around 2:30. The thing was going absolutely insane. Popped the clip and rod was buried in the water screaming line out. Grabbed the rod and thought it was gone but suddenly it came flying out of the water and continued jumping probably 4-5 times. Finally got it to the boat and it spit the hook while trying to see if it was a hatchery. Even after it was off the line the thing jumped probably 10 times clear out of the water doing circles around the boat. It even hit the boat on one of the jumps! If I didn’t see it up close I would have sworn it was over 25 lbs by the way it was fighting. After that it went dead with just 1 small wild I released. Kids were hungry for dinner so I called it at 5:30. Just as I reached for the rod a fish hit, started reeling and the other side started started peeling line. Managed to solo land a double header and called it a day! Both hatchery and smaller was around 8 lbs bigger was around 14 lbs. There were a few other boats fishing there but didn’t see anything else landed. Was a slow day except for the end.
Awesome! That is as good as it gets. How old are the kids? I’m hoping my son who just turned 6 and I can figure out some coho netting this fall

I for one do not believe recreation salmon fishing has a significant impact on salmon numbers and I enjoy seeing other people catching fish. I have no problem sharing info for tidal salmon.
As for Sidney area, my biggest concern is finding the lone boat ramp too busy and having to park my vehicle a 10 min. walk away, though this to limits the amount of boats heading out. I have never seen it bumper boats out there.
It would be considerate of those using the Tulista boat ramp for multi day parking to park across the street at the secondary parking lot.

Awesome afternoon today from noon to 4pm. Had our 3 fish limit on the first pass 12, 10, 1/2 and 10 1/2 pound hatchery..then hooked into 12 more by 4pm....including a double towards the end of the trip with the largest going 24 1/2 pounds which I weighed in the net....lifting it out of the water just enough to get a weight with the net..then subtracted the weight of the net. We kept 3, released 5 wild, 4 hatch and lost 3. We were the only boat fishing until the last 15 minutes when 2 other boats showed up. Beautiful hot afternoon and flat calm. Again we saw numerous Chinook jumping out of the water like Coho do. Herring and needlefish in the stomachs. Skinny G's were the ticket right on the bottom. 2nd picture is the 24 1/2...glad it was wild as it became a non issue about keeping the wrong fish.

Attachments

• sidneytoday.jpg
    sidneytoday.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 204
  • sidneytoday1.jpg
    sidneytoday1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Fished Coal this morning from 6 am- 11:30. Currents weren't too bad. Very little bait showing but could consistently see fish near the bottom. Fishing small AP and Skinny G spoons. No bites and didn't see any nets out.

The spit is holding lots of fish. Hit 7 in a couple hours this morning. Biggest was a hatchery around 20lbs that I lost at the boat. Ended up with 3 nice hatchery and released 3 nice wilds. Seemed once you found a school it was on, I just kept circling back through and picked one up every pass. Was away from the pack of boats and didn’t see any other nets out. 1DF37A30-B490-4AF2-B5B7-5CF293D98870.jpegEBCFE169-985C-43A2-B40B-EFA182ED2797.jpeg2FC33484-8D20-4F64-9A2B-37FA4FFBA21C.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back