Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out this morning to hunt some marked fish. Started at Fairfax with not a sniff. Powered over to red can on the low slack, had something hit but nothing when I got my hands on the rod. Then mid channel in front of Powder, 120 feet I picked up this beauty on the standard greens and chartreuse hardware. The relief when it was alongside and adipose-free!View attachment 92244
Just wanted to point out that not sure what side of fairfax you were fishing but the backside(east side of the point) is non retention just the portion that’s in 18-6 is open to one hatchery fish.

Fishery Notice​

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:
FN0426-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Chinook - Portions of Areas 17 to 19 - Management Measures - Effective May 3, 2023

As part of the longer-term work under the Pacific Salmon Strategy Initiative (PSSI) to explore mass marking (MM) and mark-selective fisheries (MSFs) as part of an integrated management approach, the Department is announcing new pilot recreational MSFs for 2023. These openings are located away from primary migratory routes or during times when there is a low prevalence of Fraser River Chinook stocks of concern and increased abundance of other stocks including hatchery-marked Chinook. In addition to creel surveys (dockside interviews and overflight effort counts) and the iREC reporting program that will be conducted, these pilot MSF openings will be subject to enhanced monitoring including biological sampling and independent verification of at-sea releases. These MSFs will also be subject to evaluation of available post-season information and potential adjustments may be made prior to reopening in Spring 2024.

The new pilot MSF are as follows:

Victoria:

Effective 00:01 hours May 3, 2023, until 23:59 hours May 31,2023, the daily limit for Chinook is one (1) Chinook per day, hatchery marked only, in the following waters:

Subareas 19-1, 19-3, 19-4, 19-5 and 19-6.

Reminder: Unmarked Chinook may not be retained. The Chinook minimum size in Subareas 19-1, 19-3, and 19-4 is 45 cm, and the minimum size in Subareas 19-5 and 19-6 is 62 cm.

Gulf Islands and Saanich Inlet:

Effective 00:01 hours May 3, 2023, until 23:59 hours May 31, the daily limit for Chinook is one (1) Chinook per day, hatchery marked only, in the following waters:

Subareas 17-6, 17-9, 18-6, 18-7, 18-10, 19-7, 19-8.

Went out this afternoon for the last of the ebb and first hour of the flood. Into 4 fish..lost 2 and kept a 10 and an 8. Only boat fishing Coal today which was surprising considering the regs and how nice the water was. Fish had both Sandlance and large herring in them.

Skunked on ling cod today, so bad I lost a $20 brand new slow pitch lure from Trotac, second one the first I lost at Renfrew and a lead head with my favourite tail and busted my rod tip trying to manage the wind and stuck jig.

Caught a few bugs so I’m happy! That’s fishing.

Might try salmon for an hour tomorrow for Mother’s Day. Anyone got a hot tip on depth, location.

No ,we were on the south beach area in my sons boat.Lots of people we knew from living in Deep Cove for 35 years.Lots of beauty boats out there.Sorry,not a fishing report.

Some nice hatchery fish around Sidney. Son in law won the Sidney Anglers in house club Derby yesterday with a 15lb. My buddy picked up a couple of 8 lbers.
Usual gong show at the ramp coming in.
Dead batteries and slow electric winches, plus no parking so 20 minutes to park and get back to the boat.

Was out for 4 days in a row beginning last Saturday and the weekend was very good. Saturday we played 15 springs keeping our 2, 12 and 8 pounds. On Sunday we played 8 and kept our 3, 11, 8 and 7 pounds. Monday and Tuesday were both busts only releasing one under on Monday. Faster currents and very little or no slack in between changes on both Monday and Tuesday was probably why it was so slow. Heard the evening bite was good those days. Anyone have any good spots for crab traps in the area. I've been moving my two traps around trying different spots but not even finding females or undersize. With the bigger currents right now I'm looking for more sheltered spots where the floats won't get dragged under.

Was out for 4 days in a row beginning last Saturday and the weekend was very good. Saturday we played 15 springs keeping our 2, 12 and 8 pounds. On Sunday we played 8 and kept our 3, 11, 8 and 7 pounds. Monday and Tuesday were both busts only releasing one under on Monday. Faster currents and very little or no slack in between changes on both Monday and Tuesday was probably why it was so slow. Heard the evening bite was good those days. Anyone have any good spots for crab traps in the area. I've been moving my two traps around trying different spots but not even finding females or undersize. With the bigger currents right now I'm looking for more sheltered spots where the floats won't get dragged under.
Where were you fishing?

Launched at Sidney around 0500 and got the second to last parking spot. Trolled around Shag Rock for a while but no action.

Tried the spot just south of there beyond those little islands. The tide sure can blast through there! Challenging to keep things straight, untangled and off the reefs! Lost a ball. Turned out to be pretty good fishing though, five fish to the boat and two lost. 3 clipped, two double headers. All 6-9 lbs. Herring Aide Skinny G. The one bonked was full of sandlance, though hooked well off the bottom.

Got back in before the low tide gong show at the ramp.:)

Last edited:
Out on both yesterday and today. Yesterday we kept 12 1/2 and 11 pound clipped and released a wild over 12. Fished 11am to 1:30 with guests who wanted to finish early. Out for 8 hours today with a 6am start to get parking and get fish more of the morning ebb. We kept a 8 clipped and released a wild maybe 9 pounds. Lost 3-4 more with one bust off. Released 4-5 unders and saw many salmon through the morning jumping out of the water multiple times. Never seen so many springs jumping in a day. The ones jumping were mostly the under....4-6 pound size. Skinny G's on all fish on the bottom.

Crabbing around Sidney is pretty hit and miss. The commercial guys pound the area 365 days a year so no real secret spots and few dunghees make it to grow much beyond legal. If you are fishing near Coal, the closest sheltered spot may be right in Tsehum Harbour. You will see crab buoys across from Van Isle Marina just outside of the navigational marker. If you are fishing Sidney spit area, there are some sheltered spots close into the west side of Sidney Island and near Powder Wharf too if you are trying to avoid the currents.

Out on both yesterday and today. Yesterday we kept 12 1/2 and 11 pound clipped and released a wild over 12. Fished 11am to 1:30 with guests who wanted to finish early. Out for 8 hours today with a 6am start to get parking and get fish more of the morning ebb. We kept a 8 clipped and released a wild maybe 9 pounds. Lost 3-4 more with one bust off. Released 4-5 unders and saw many salmon through the morning jumping out of the water multiple times. Never seen so many springs jumping in a day. The ones jumping were mostly the under....4-6 pound size. Skinny G's on all fis
Crabbing around Sidney is pretty hit and miss. The commercial guys pound the area 365 days a year so no real secret spots and few dunghees make it to grow much beyond legal. If you are fishing near Coal, the closest sheltered spot may be right in Tsehum Harbour. You will see crab buoys across from Van Isle Marina just outside of the navigational marker. If you are fishing Sidney spit area, there are some sheltered spots close into the west side of Sidney Island and near Powder Wharf too if you are trying to avoid the currents.
Out on both yesterday and today. Yesterday we kept 12 1/2 and 11 pound clipped and released a wild over 12. Fished 11am to 1:30 with guests who wanted to finish early. Out for 8 hours today with a 6am start to get parking and get fish more of the morning ebb. We kept a 8 clipped and released a wild maybe 9 pounds. Lost 3-4 more with one bust off. Released 4-5 unders and saw many salmon through the morning jumping out of the water multiple times. Never seen so many springs jumping in a day. The ones jumping were mostly the under....4-6 pound size. Skinny G's on all fish on the bottom.
where were your fishing? Reports not that useful if you do t say a general area even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back