2023 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was up there from June 1-8 and put 9 hali in the box, lost maybe 4-5 that just didn’t hook up after a 30 second fight. Just one boat but enough ppl to get our limit. Fished roughly 4 hours a day, got skunked the first 3 days and then went 3,2,1,2,1. The tides were huge and the bites didn’t last more than 45 mins. Had to capitalize when it turned on.

View attachment 94259View attachment 94260
Wow! been trying to glean whatever information I can about what areas to fish, only started targeting halibut the last couple years, my biggest problem is putting in the time. earlier is probably better than mid August?

We've caught halibut from July to September [the only months we've been there] - but we don't claim to have it dialled in. Last week's hot spot is not next week's or next month's -- but it may be hot next year. And in 30+ years we've caught them all over - from top to bottom of Malcolm, at Eden Island, near Gore Rock, in the mouth of Wells...I can't figure it out, but I sure plan to keep trying - starting next week.

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction, I've been to McNeil once last year and couldnt find dungee's, only red rock crabs. I dropped traps along the marina side of ledge point and along the shoreline by Hyde creek. Wondering if I need to go further out or if the bays along the south side of Malcolm have any?
Is there decent prawning in the area? Heading out camping this weekend in Alder bay and want to keep the kids entertained.

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction, I've been to McNeil once last year and couldnt find dungee's, only red rock crabs. I dropped traps along the marina side of ledge point and along the shoreline by Hyde creek. Wondering if I need to go further out or if the bays along the south side of Malcolm have any?
Is there decent prawning in the area? Heading out camping this weekend in Alder bay and want to keep the kids entertained.
Haven't had much luck with traps in McNeill but you can pick crabs up at low tide in McNeill Bay just inside of Ledge Point. Just wade the shallows with a net and bucket, I've even seen people use hockey sticks 😆 The mouth of the Nimpkish would likely have crabs too.

Haven't had much luck with traps in McNeill but you can pick crabs up at low tide in McNeill Bay just inside of Ledge Point. Just wade the shallows with a net and bucket, I've even seen people use hockey sticks 😆 The mouth of the Nimpkish would likely have crabs too.
yes but check the daily limits. believe it’s 2 per day

Crabs have become a scarce commodity around Telegraph and McNeill. Seems to be some blame cast on the sea otters that have moved in, but it's also probably cyclical as well. But nearly every bay and flat that has a stream or river coming in should produce Dungeness.

I'm gonna drop my first sets of crab traps of the summer season this Friday so will see how to goes. I live up here and usually crab all year long, but it's been so poor lately, I've been demoralized.

But yes, people still walk the beaches at Nimpkish and McNeill bay and do well on hand picking crabs at low tide. It can be busy on <3ft tides.

Heading up camp at Bere Point next week hoping to fish for springs - any local favourites for terminal gear mid July?

Crabs have become a scarce commodity around Telegraph and McNeill. Seems to be some blame cast on the sea otters that have moved in, but it's also probably cyclical as well. But nearly every bay and flat that has a stream or river coming in should produce Dungeness.

I'm gonna drop my first sets of crab traps of the summer season this Friday so will see how to goes. I live up here and usually crab all year long, but it's been so poor lately, I've been demoralized.

But yes, people still walk the beaches at Nimpkish and McNeill bay and do well on hand picking crabs at low tide. It can be busy on <3ft tides.
thanks for the info, I'll try a few places and see what happens

Heading up camp at Bere Point next week hoping to fish for springs - any local favourites for terminal gear mid July?
Green flasher with the glo tape, or any flasher than has a gold side plus nearly anything... lol. I know lots of guys will never fish anything but an anchovy on a 6ft leader, and for good reason - it works!

I find I get enough action on a 5" blue/nickle spoon, and when that fails me, either an irish cream spoon or a glow hoochie with a green stripe. The basic white hoochie works for nearly everything in most conditions if you don't want to over think it, but I tend to start with a "big" presentation on one side in either green or blue and then a smaller presentation on the other side, same colours.

The usual concepts apply - match the bait size, have at least one line within a few feet of the bottom.

You should have a lot of fun off Bere and the whole back side.

Green flasher with the glo tape, or any flasher than has a gold side plus nearly anything... lol. I know lots of guys will never fish anything but an anchovy on a 6ft leader, and for good reason - it works!

I find I get enough action on a 5" blue/nickle spoon, and when that fails me, either an irish cream spoon or a glow hoochie with a green stripe. The basic white hoochie works for nearly everything in most conditions if you don't want to over think it, but I tend to start with a "big" presentation on one side in either green or blue and then a smaller presentation on the other side, same colours.

The usual concepts apply - match the bait size, have at least one line within a few feet of the bottom.

You should have a lot of fun off Bere and the whole back side.
I hear you can pick up some smaller halibut along the backside, is it a by-catch from trolling or is there areas that are worth putting on a spreader bar?

I hear you can pick up some smaller halibut along the backside, is it a by-catch from trolling or is there areas that are worth putting on a spreader bar?
Ya the backside can produce hali on the troll. Some people drift with the spreaderbar or anchor on the back side as well.

I've tried Numas bank a few times - no personal success but more than a few boats cycle through there every weekend and often pick up halis. Parson bay (just outside the closed area) can produce, but there's a lot of tide to consider there, and a lot of humpbacks.

The airport off Hardy is consistently good for hali for sure but a bit of a run if you're based from Telegraph.

Ya the backside can produce hali on the troll. Some people drift with the spreaderbar or anchor on the back side as well.

I've tried Numas bank a few times - no personal success but more than a few boats cycle through there every weekend and often pick up halis. Parson bay (just outside the closed area) can produce, but there's a lot of tide to consider there, and a lot of humpbacks.

The airport off Hardy is consistently good for hali for sure but a bit of a run if you're based from Telegraph.
There's also George Bank, closer than Numas - which a lot of guys try on the slower tides - usually anchored.

I've had success trolling halibut on both sides of Malcolm - near Cormorant and Leonard Rk, near Donegal Hd, towards Lizard Pt, and between Black Bluffs, Bere Pt and Malcolm Pt.; Kelp Patch at the top of Malcolm. There's spots at the mouth of Fife and mouth of Wells [120' moraine at the mouth]. None are "hot" for me - except for brief moments - which is I guess why we do it.

There is no finer halibut to catch than the salmon trolling by-catch. Tasty fish n chips without giving up civilized salmon fishing time to mess about with anchors and stinky bait. Last Aug we fluked a chicken off Donegal on a Gator spoon at 40 ft and I felt like we'd won the lottery.

I'd love to figure out a working system to target halibut trolling--no anchors or stinky bait--but it's never worked for me when doing it intentionally.

Back in the commercial days we ran a hotspot flasher with a white hootchie on our lead line. This was in sand/gravel areas where we could bounce bottom. We would pick up 100 to 140 halibut a day back in the 70’s.

I’ll be in TC in a week for our annual family trip. Any reports after the first day? Looking at the restrictions it looks like 80cm limit applies. I didn’t find it 100% clear…maybe there’s still an update to come.

I’ll be in TC in a week for our annual family trip. Any reports after the first day? Looking at the restrictions it looks like 80cm limit applies. I didn’t find it 100% clear…maybe there’s still an update to come.
I noticed this morning it’s been updated, as expected, 62-80cm slot. Still interested in some reports!

My family and i are coming up july 28-30. And staying at Alder bay. What is the shore fishing like there that time of year. Should i bring my fishing kayak to go just out front of the campground?

We fish Telegraph Cove a couple weeks a year. Shore fishing can be done in a couple spots but they are all less than ideal and usually fighting kelp.

I'd bring the kayak, can get into some bottom fish pretty easy. BUT... currents can be very strong, watch the current tables and go out as close to slack current as you can or I imagine padding that kayak could be very tiresome. I've never fished a kayak myself though.

I'd also avoid the afternoon winds that come up most days.

My family and i are coming up july 28-30. And staying at Alder bay. What is the shore fishing like there that time of year. Should i bring my fishing kayak to go just out front of the campground?
Yes do it I saw paddle boards and kayaks there every day this week good tides in afternoon when your there Chinook open in that area till Aug 01.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back