Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading up Thursday to Sunday and have been trying to get ahold of bear cove marina to find moorage but the phone doesn’t seem to work. Emailed too but no answer. Anyone taken their chances on finding a spot in the harbour that’s first come first serve?

Wind looks so-so right now, what’s too much up to suitl ? I know it’s subjective, I’m running a 24 ft ocean pro

Heading up Thursday to Sunday and have been trying to get ahold of bear cove marina to find moorage but the phone doesn’t seem to work. Emailed too but no answer. Anyone taken their chances on finding a spot in the harbour that’s first come first serve?

Wind looks so-so right now, what’s too much up to suitl ? I know it’s subjective, I’m running a 24 ft ocean pro
The wind question depends on the tide swing. I've been told that at Nahwitti Bar, any substantial ebb tide (>12ft swing) against sustained NW wind >15 knots would be... educational.... The rest of Goletas would ok but lumpy once you get past the bar.

But perhaps exiting on the north side of Hope island, and sneaking in through Browning or Christie might be a smoother ride home on a big ebb with the usual afternoon wind. Or at least you could fish on that side during the slack working homeward and then watch conditions change as the ebb and the wind builds and make your call on when to pull the pin.

I've only done a handfull of trips that way, and every time, the lumpiest part of the run back in typical summer conditions with an afternoon NW wind tends to be right in Hardy bay.

I haven't looked at the tide chart or the swell forecast at all, but the wind models look typical and very fishable, especially in the morning.

Good luck!

The wind question depends on the tide swing. I've been told that at Nahwitti Bar, any substantial ebb tide (>12ft swing) against sustained NW wind >15 knots would be... educational.... The rest of Goletas would ok but lumpy once you get past the bar.

But perhaps exiting on the north side of Hope island, and sneaking in through Browning or Christie might be a smoother ride home on a big ebb with the usual afternoon wind. Or at least you could fish on that side during the slack working homeward and then watch conditions change as the ebb and the wind builds and make your call on when to pull the pin.

I've only done a handfull of trips that way, and every time, the lumpiest part of the run back in typical summer conditions with an afternoon NW wind tends to be right in Hardy bay.

I haven't looked at the tide chart or the swell forecast at all, but the wind models look typical and very fishable, especially in the morning.

Good luck!
Thanks for the detailed reply that’s very helpful baseline to start, I haven’t fished hardy since I was a teen with my dad and treating like a newbie trying to give it some respect. Hoping get some halibut and ling otherwise a few springs

You need to contact Quarterdeck Marina to ensure Moorage...
Sutil can be lumpy with NW winds and an Ebb Tide across the bar. 24 Ft should be fine if you have some experience. You can carve along the shoreline to bypass the worst of it. If you can time it with flood tide... no issues at all.

You need to contact Quarterdeck Marina to ensure Moorage...
Sutil can be lumpy with NW winds and an Ebb Tide across the bar. 24 Ft should be fine if you have some experience. You can carve along the shoreline to bypass the worst of it. If you can time it with flood tide... no issues at all.
Thanks for advice. And I will give them a call today

Heading up to PH next week for our 10th annual trip. Towing the boat up the island. Staying for a week or so - can't wait and hope to see you guys out there. Have heard that fishing is pretty good

Looking for some clarity on the regs at Cape Sutil.
I am see regs for 111 cut right thru the tack at the rock. 1 a day under 80 to the west of the line. 2 any size to the east. 2 any size in 12-14. Not enough of 12-14 there to even get a line in the water. The expert up there would be @BearCove. Any comments would be appreciated.

You are correct on these Reg changes. We were told 111 was going to open back up to two a day with no slot Aug 1st.

That being said, I have not checked to see if that’s been changed.

This would open Sutil back up for larger fish, no slot

Cheers

You are correct on these Reg changes. We were told 111 was going to open back up to two a day with no slot Aug 1st.

Cheers

What they should is leave open the 1 mile strip seaward of 12-14 similar to 127.

Cheers

Looks like this was updated to the case - 2 fish and no slot outside

Cheers
Thanks. I see it's back open for 2 any size.
Also I have noticed that Smith Sound is closed till the end of August. I believe that is new as well.
Any thoughts on that?

Smiths is closed for retention of chinook, as well as Seymour inlet

All other areas are back to normal, besides area 12, no bigger than 80cm and only one a day possession of 2

Smiths is closed for retention of chinook, as well as Seymour inlet

All other areas are back to normal, besides area 12, no bigger than 80cm and only one a day possession of 2
Hopefully 111 will stay open for 2 any size thru next season.
Is the Smith inlet closure new this year?

Smiths closure is new this year. Area 111 will be decided upon next year I’m assuming. It was only a two week closure this summer

Finished up with our possession on big springs. Couple halibut in the slot and the normal
Ling and rockfish haul

Great trip. Already looking forward to next year for our 11th trip.

Sutil and the wall in the evening paid off for us

Finished up with our possession on big springs. Couple halibut in the slot and the normal
Ling and rockfish haul

Great trip. Already looking forward to next year for our 11th trip.

Sutil and the wall in the evening paid off for us
Nice!

Sounds good. What’s the big spring size now? Anchovy? I’m going to try Sutil in a few days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back