Status
Not open for further replies.
That would have been a fun time solo in NW 17kn winds 😬
I had no problem with wind etc, 25' Searay Express Cruiser. Not a cabin cruiser just a cuddy. It is the putting the boat back on the trailer at low tides that is a gong show.
I have a 5.7 litre and one of the flapper valves in the exhaust drove me wild clapping away.
Anyway got out early, dropped one prawn and crab trap. They worked.
I saw no one fishing at all but I confined my area for the first time between Tent Island and Ladysmith.

Where were the winds at 17 knts, almost dead calm from 7AM to 3PM?

I had no problem with wind etc, 25' Searay Express Cruiser. Not a cabin cruiser just a cuddy. It is the putting the boat back on the trailer at low tides that is a gong show.
I have a 5.7 litre and one of the flapper valves in the exhaust drove me wild clapping away.
I saw no one fishing at all but I confined my area for the first time between Tent Island and Ladysmith.

Most of the Nanaimo fleet fishes off the Fingers oe Entrance island, not Ladysmith

Some fish is correct but near Entrance or Finger Islands, there are plenty of fish.
I went to Entrance Thursday evening and after 45 minutes of switching lures, I offered an anchovie and got rewarded right away with a 77cm 13 lbs spring. 85 ft over 200. It had 12 cm fish in its stomach.
I tried targeting coho after that but only caught wild fish.

there was no one fishing Ladysmith area is because it is closed until October 15 th

Is that a case of everyone following the crowds? I imagine there must be some fish down Ladysmith way.
Most people who fish Tent / Porlier from the Island post in the Gulf Islands Reports. People who fish Porlier and Thrasher from the Vancouver side post in the Vancouver thread.

Jigging was slow last night for my boat. Got into a fish on each drift for the first few passes then nothing.

Went home with a hatch coho to throw on the BBQ tonight and a limit of good times.

Seemed pretty slow last night at Fingers compared to recent days; didn't see anyone else net a fish despite a lot of boats in the usual spot. We managed to scratch up our 2 Chinook, both about 65 cm and saw one person at the ramp with a similar sized fish.
There was a decent bite on the high slack this morning at the Fingers.. Landed 3 keeper sized on a plug at 180 ft and a few cohos on the spoon @120 ft

There was a decent bite on the high slack this morning at the Fingers.. Landed 3 keeper sized on a plug at 180 ft and a few cohos on the spoon @120 ft
Missed the tide and the bite today. Oh well, that’s fishing. The wind coming up way stronger than forecast didn’t help

Sorry guy's, just looked at the reg'a again and it is closed, not sure how you post a picture to show you.
I talked to a fisheries officer AND a creel surveyor neither had an answer. Both looked for 10 minutes but couldn't come up with an answer. First no, then yes once they looked it up, then look at the regs. Yes did seem to be what they both settled on but with the "look at the regs". Both agreed it is very confusing and difficult to read as some of the old notices are still in effect.
The prawning one is weird, the old notice for pulse fishing says closed after January 1rst. But evidently prawning is open now but no notice saying that.
AAGGGHHH!

I am going to try phoning next.

Most fish being caught are apparently out further towards area 29

Afternoon tide change didn't produce much of a bite today at Fingers... at least for the 25 boats we could see around us. Went out to Entrance and worked our way through a dozen or so smalls to get our 2 keeper springs. The last one was on a plug after I got less enthused about all the reeling and re-setting gear.

Pretty slow for us last night off Clarke/fingers area. Lost a decent fish beside the boat then a few shakers. Almost no bait at all. I'm going camping - hope it's better when I get back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back