2023 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a newfy on boat last weekend, showed him the maps and what we deal with, they could not believe what we have here for regs, we were releasing fish back left and right , ridiculous really
Looking at those it would seem that there is a portion of 17-6 where Chinook retention is allowed, is that right?

No the killer whale zone is in purple in the photo. Cause you know the whales don’t swim a few hundred meters to catch chinook. Come on it’s so easy to interpret :rolleyes:
Unless of course I’m wrong again.

Attachments

• 96B4F5D4-EB7E-4383-9791-63621ECDD309.jpeg
    96B4F5D4-EB7E-4383-9791-63621ECDD309.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 19
Actually I see now - it doesn’t go that far west and basically covers the shoreline along the West side of Pender

IMG_4709.png

Dropped the boat in at Tulista on Friday afternoon, slip reserved at NSM for the night. Another absolute treat of an evening. Popped over to the spit, and did one long pass with no action. Decided to keep trolling my way over to Coal, enjoying a cold beverage along the way. Coal had several boats enjoying the evening, a nice bite started around 7:00pm. A lot of the boats there were into fish. I managed to lose a decent fish 10’ from the boat, seemed like it was on the higher side of the slot limit. Put the gear back down, few minutes later a nice hit, land a 61.5cm chinook, back it went… sure do wish this slot range was just a bit bigger!

Off to the gas dock right before closing at 8:00, then tucked the boat away for the night.

Early morning (Saturday) glass calm again. Quick stop at Coal, but the fish from the night before had moved on (for us anyways) so headed over to the open area on East side of Moresby. Again, it seemed a school of Chinook rolled into town, and we saw lots of flashers in the air and nets out. We had a nice take down, good little fight, and a 73cm Chinook in the box. Not much else for the rest of the morning. Popped home, processed the fish, vacuum sealed and in the freezer. Back out in the aft to look for a ling, 20 minutes later had a nice 75ish-cm ling in the box. Called that a good day of fishing, floated around the spit for a bit enjoying the weather, then back to Tulista…. Hauled the boat out, quick wash down at home, process the ling, re-provision and then towed the boat to a friends house in metchosin, there by dark, and to be continued on the Sooke report thread 😁

65F54FAD-2A1E-4573-9E33-A9782D7EBB88.jpeg8AD104F7-3DEB-4AA5-B819-634D984EC518.jpeg9D5C4159-941B-4AF0-A321-C7D084FAAC07.jpeg

Dropped the boat in at Tulista on Friday afternoon, slip reserved at NSM for the night. Another absolute treat of an evening. Popped over to the spit, and did one long pass with no action. Decided to keep trolling my way over to Coal, enjoying a cold beverage along the way. Coal had several boats enjoying the evening, a nice bite started around 7:00pm. A lot of the boats there were into fish. I managed to lose a decent fish 10’ from the boat, seemed like it was on the higher side of the slot limit. Put the gear back down, few minutes later a nice hit, land a 61.5cm chinook, back it went… sure do wish this slot range was just a bit bigger!

Off to the gas dock right before closing at 8:00, then tucked the boat away for the night.

Early morning (Saturday) glass calm again. Quick stop at Coal, but the fish from the night before had moved on (for us anyways) so headed over to the open area on East side of Moresby. Again, it seemed a school of Chinook rolled into town, and we saw lots of flashers in the air and nets out. We had a nice take down, good little fight, and a 73cm Chinook in the box. Not much else for the rest of the morning. Popped home, processed the fish, vacuum sealed and in the freezer. Back out in the aft to look for a ling, 20 minutes later had a nice 75ish-cm ling in the box. Called that a good day of fishing, floated around the spit for a bit enjoying the weather, then back to Tulista…. Hauled the boat out, quick wash down at home, process the ling, re-provision and then towed the boat to a friends house in metchosin, there by dark, and to be continued on the Sooke report thread 😁

View attachment 96325View attachment 96326View attachment 96327
Proper day

Feel for ya,stopped at fisheries office in Duncan,they have a representative to talk to the public,who argued against hatcheries.the thread in Nanaimo a kid can’t keep a hatchery?..cause it’s too big …yet genetically inferior…do the whales spit them out ?d.f.o needs to decide,our biggest spring at renfrew last week was a hatchery.as I decide where to fish and how far to go from the cowichan river…really sad.projected return to the cowichan is 10,000 springs (my memory lol could be wrong)according to the d f o officer,on duty that day.

Feel for ya,stopped at fisheries office in Duncan,they have a representative to talk to the public,who argued against hatcheries.the thread in Nanaimo a kid can’t keep a hatchery?..cause it’s too big …yet genetically inferior…do the whales spit them out ?d.f.o needs to decide,our biggest spring at renfrew last week was a hatchery.as I decide where to fish and how far to go from the cowichan river…really sad.projected return to the cowichan is 10,000 springs (my memory lol could be wrong)according to the d f o officer,on duty that day.
They can't give us a kilometer on the West side of Moresby because we might wipe out the Cowichan run... What a load of cr4p. We sit on Pender Bluffs looking at the Interm Whale Sanctuary where we used to fish and watch the literally 1000's of boats passing through it the last 2 months with virtually no enforcement by anyone. Why would they when the SRKW were last seen on July 5 heading West at Victoria and apparently have been on the West Coast ever since, But the bluffs are closed until Oct.31 anyway. Ain't politics wonderful...screw scientific evidence, doesn't buy votes .:mad:

was over at galiano for the weekend and headed to Collinson Pt. yesterday midday for a quick troll. Managed a nice hatchery coho on bait at 90'. Fished inside the pass for first push of the flood and got a 12lb spring, also on bait, at 100'. Both fish on naked herring above a dummy (cone zone) which I hear may be some form of copyright infringement (@Rain City ) ;)

Fished Collinson today. Lots of boats out, most I have seen fishing in that area in a long time. Slow for us until the flood kicked in, then picked up a 71cm spring on white hootchie at 120’. DFO/RCMP looked to be checking boats when we first showed up mid morning.

Fished Collinson today. Lots of boats out, most I have seen fishing in that area in a long time. Slow for us until the flood kicked in, then picked up a 71cm spring on white hootchie at 120’. DFO/RCMP looked to be checking boats when we first showed up mid morning.
We were out there with you, we counted close to 30 boats at the peak. No luck for us, but this business of fishing for salmon without a downrigger sucks. Time for me to change that it’s just too tough with line weights and no true idea what depth my setup is at.

We were out there with you, we counted close to 30 boats at the peak. No luck for us, but this business of fishing for salmon without a downrigger sucks. Time for me to change that it’s just too tough with line weights and no true idea what depth my setup is at.
Have you done much jigging out there? I'm not sure what the structure is like, but if there are some decent spots for bait to get trapped, you might have a lot more success jigging.

Use cut plugged herring with your wait and go dead slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back