2023 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tent on Thursday. Two springs, both hatchery. One was 64cm and kept, the other was 40cm and released. Porlier on sunday had some fantastic coho fishing. 5am to 7am we caught 9, 2 hatchery and 7 wilds released including 1 that was pushing 10 pounds.
We were out at Porlier as well on Sun, though didn't get to Salmon until after the morning slack when we were ling fishing. Action was very steady once we found the bait, though only 1 small hatch for us; I think it was a Jack as it had very mature milt. Couldn't believe the number of huge boats going back to Van nearly swamping us in the gap.

Tried for some coho around Salamanca yesterday for an hour or so. Down 40-50 on riggers in 300-400 fy of water with white hootchies and had non stop action … for springs! Lost one coho boatside before I could tell if it was hatch or not and released around 10 springs including a few in early teens. Certainly lots of fish around. Will try again for coho later today or tomo if weather cooperates. Anyone else finding an ho’s in the gulf islands?
Where abouts is Salamanca thanks!

Just wondering if anyone spends much time halibut fishing off the gulf islands. I’ve dabbled a bit with a friend of mine in chemainus but we haven’t put any serious time in. A while back we saw a bunch of halibut carcasses at the Ladysmith launch and we started getting a bit more curious. Cheers

Just wondering if anyone spends much time halibut fishing off the gulf islands. I’ve dabbled a bit with a friend of mine in chemainus but we haven’t put any serious time in. A while back we saw a bunch of halibut carcasses at the Ladysmith launch and we started getting a bit more curious. Cheers
I saw that too and was super curious about it - that was no small # of carcasses

I’m dropping my halibut frame from swiftsure yesterday, at cow bay ramp….used to dump them at Crofton ramp.
…probably what happened,halibut seem to make Sydney area occasionally,that said I hope someone proves otherwise,I have seen fish caught where “people say” they’d never be gl

We got about a 12 pounder out at Porllier a couple of years ago, so it does happen.

Got out to Porlier Sunday am. Searching for Coho and found none - but we did get a number of Chinook, most of them just under, including one nice one right in the pass in area 17. Looked like most boats were a fair ways out into the strait looking for Coho, couldn't see if nets were coming out. Lots of shakers out there. Small spoons were working best, but we got some hits on a hoochie. Very small anchovy in the salmon we kept.

I'm looking to take my daughter salmon fishing and was wondering if people have much success in 18-7? (Maple Bay and Burgoyne Bay excluded obviously) 18-7 is open for hatchery Chinook and I've seen boats there fishing for something. I know we'd have more success in 17-3 but that's more of a trek for us.

Got out to Porlier Sunday am. Searching for Coho and found none - but we did get a number of Chinook, most of them just under, including one nice one right in the
We got about a 12 pounder out at Porllier a couple of years ago, so it does happen.
We were jigging a few weeks ago in Porlier, going after lingcod and rockfish when my daughter hit a 12 pound Chinook. We were shocked.

I haven't put much effort in there. Dropped the lines once while passing through with my fam on the boat - didn't find anything. See plenty of jigging in there when I pass through. Assumed they were looking for lings.
Salamanca is NW of Active Pass out of the RCA that spans the mouth of the pass.

Anyone been catching coho at Salamanca or down south towards Tumbo? Going to make the run across from point roberts this weekend probably try inside Galiano for hatchery springs and hit the outside of the islands if it’s slow for the springs. If you see a red north river from the states feel free to wave me down for a beer

Anyone been catching coho at Salamanca or down south towards Tumbo? Going to make the run across from point roberts this weekend probably try inside Galiano for hatchery springs and hit the outside of the islands if it’s slow for the springs. If you see a red north river from the states feel free to wave me down for a beer
The way I’m reading the Regs is that you can keep hatch or wild up to 80 cms in 17-1 and 17-2 open now and then Aug 1 in 18-2 same. One per day. We will be heading that way Aug 1. Good luck. So if you hook into a nice 80 cm unmarked it is yours to keep! There is one of those “yellow no fishing zones” in part of 18-2 so watch for that. I find that wherever there are lunch restaurants (Montegue Marina) the CO’s and the police tend to be in the area! I havn’t heard of coho in the area yet but given the numbers caught elsewhere I’d be surprised if they weren’t there. Good Luck

Thanks for the heads up! That was my assumption too is that the coho have to be thick everywhere- we couldn’t keep them off most of the time down in the puget sound the last few weeks. Unfortunately I just have this weekend to fish this area until the end of august and by that time it’s game on for sandheads. Looking forward to exploring the islands and I’ll definitely post a report from the couple of days we put in.

Yesterday was a look around ,started 9 ish at separation pt.4 passes 1 other boat ,marked buncha bait no bites.then to hatch /arbutus area for a troll down the shore ,63ft spoon,down to 110 anchovy depending on bait,typically.over to wain rock,4 or 5 passes 2 bites small bait balls .
to the bluff for top of flood,lotsa bait marking,4 small springs.as a youngster I fell out of a14 ft with a 25 hp,full throttle,caught the boat climbed in and shut her off,the owner was holding toilet paper on shore I’ll never forget the look I got,oh to be lucky..
missed the high slack….usual.had a go back to life….so the bite could of been then gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back