Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in the prop wash or at the tail end beads and a spinner blade ahead of fly and bead chain swivel 4-5 ft up
Bucktail rides just below the surface
Exciting as hell when coho are smashing them
The other trick I find with Bucktails is to set your drag loose. I find if its set tight the fish will hit and are often gone before you can grab the rod. I like to use a reel that makes noise and try to set it up high and out of the way with the line way back. You'll often hear the reel screaming and see the fish jumping before everyone clues into what's happening -- totally fun.

The other trick I find with Bucktails is to set your drag loose. I find if its set tight the fish will hit and are often gone before you can grab the rod. I like to use a reel that makes noise and try to set it up high and out of the way with the line way back. You'll often hear the reel screaming and see the fish jumping before everyone clues into what's happening -- totally fun.
I generally hang onto the rod no bigger adrenaline rush than seeing a bow wave coming to hit the fly
The tug is the drug!

Fish are around nothing too crazy. Sounds like Flo and Wya are still doing good but with the majority of the fleet headed there every morning we are staying away. Momma isn’t into pounding out there either so we have been sticking just out front by Amphitrite and Little beach. Some in the rocks and today just off a ways. The fish are there but have to sort through some smaller ones and coho. We’ve boxed 5 so far all between 12-21 lbs and still have 5 days fishing left so alls good. Let a couple in the 10 lb range swim. Haven't gotten to serious about Hali and coho yet but we will over the next couple days. First time in my life I’ve seen hardware out fish bait so much as I’ve parked the bait and just rotating through my spoons. Easy peasy fishing all around.

Last edited:
Fish are around nothing too crazy. Sounds like Flo and Wya are still doing good but with the majority of the fleet headed there every morning we are staying away. Momma isn’t into pounding out there either so we have been sticking just out front by Amphitrite and Little beach. Some in the rocks and today just off a ways. The fish are there but have to sort through some smaller ones and coho. We’ve boxed 5 so far all between 12-21 lbs and still have 5 days fishing left so alls good. Let a couple in the 10 lb range swim. Haven't gotten to serious about Hali and coho yet but we will over the next couple days. First time in my life I’ve seen hardware out fish bait so much as I’ve parked the bait and just rotating through my spoons. Easy peasy fishing all around.
9 more days bud... can't wait to get back.

Slogged our way out past south bank this morning and went on the hook for some Hali. Was on the hook for just over an hour just getting the scent out, hooked onto a huge skate lol talk about power. Was just getting close to tide change in about an hour but it was just getting to rough, I was getting concerned for the ride in and the anchor pull so we pulled the pin and came in to Beg and slopped around for a bit. Landed 1 nice wild coho and released an 8 lb spring. Came in early,, go be a tourist for an afternoon.

PS..
Need a little Hali help for closer in if anybody is so inclined, if not I understand boys, thx.

Generally speaking, you can fart around south bank and outer lighthouse and maybe do well for Hali. Or you can get out to Big Bank and up your odds for Hali and grab your salmon. Tomorrow is the low swell day looks like.
I always regret not going out there once a year if weather allows.

Generally speaking, you can fart around south bank and outer lighthouse and maybe do well for Hali. Or you can get out to Big Bank and up your odds for Hali and grab your salmon. Tomorrow is the low swell day looks like.
I always regret not going out there once a year if weather allows.
The Lighthouse bank can be real good for decent sized ones too

Slogged our way out past south bank this morning and went on the hook for some Hali. Was on the hook for just over an hour just getting the scent out, hooked onto a huge skate lol talk about power. Was just getting close to tide change in about an hour but it was just getting to rough, I was getting concerned for the ride in and the anchor pull so we pulled the pin and came in to Beg and slopped around for a bit. Landed 1 nice wild coho and released an 8 lb spring. Came in early,, go be a tourist for an afternoon.

PS..
Need a little Hali help for closer in if anybody is so inclined, if not I understand boys, thx.
We’ve caught them at turtlehead and it’s not far

anyone care to chime in if finding a commercial tuna boat in the area is normal in early August or did we get lucky? I got a few last year and were amazing... can't go home without a few to help with the sushi nights at home.

anyone care to chime in if finding a commercial tuna boat in the area is normal in early August or did we get lucky? I got a few last year and were amazing... can't go home without a few to help with the sushi nights at home.
That was a fluke

Just waiting at the ferry in Nanaimo.
Was an awesome trip this year again, will have a little more detail in a couple days. We never did get any halibut but that’s ok, we did stumble on a pretty decent Ling hole and over a couple days we boxed 6 nice Ling so that makes up for some white meat. Highlight of the trip, I saved 1 last spot for the last Spring, we released probably 10 fish in the 8 - 10 lb range but held out. This morning last morning and a short one. First pass off the rocks at little beach rod goes off and it was a runner. Boxed a decent 19 lb spring to top off the trip.

Once again an awesome trip to Ukee, love the place and learning it more and more each year. We did travel out for Salmon one day but really didn’t have to. We filled our limit on Springs between 12 - 21 lbs with all but 1 at little beach and all our coho at Beg.

The Coho are deeper than usual, 70 - 75’, the springs are like springs they are where they are, 50 - 75’ off the rocks and 90 - 130’ on the banks.

Good luck boys. Like I say will fill in some details in a day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back