2022 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally found some time to get the boat in the water on Sunday. Heading up to Nootka next week and wanted to make sure everything was working. Great morning on the water fishing Sidney Channel (Powder wharf), got this guy on a cop car spoon with a green flasher, 86' on the downrigger.

Attachments

• IMG_2707.JPG
    IMG_2707.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2708.JPG
    IMG_2708.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 178
Trolling Hazard - Powder Wharf

Where I have marked the map there is a bad snag mid-water column. I'm not sure if it's a drowned float or something else.
Yesterday, Father's day, we had finished as Powder Wharf and were headed across the channel we snagged and immediately busted off on something in 110' of water with the ball at about 65'
Whatever it was cut my cable with a bang as I reached to retrieve it. Major bummer as I was field-testing a homemade dredge at the time and lost all of it.
We had just finished a pass on the beach and hooked two Chinooks.
The current was pumping at the time so it might be a drowned trap line, but in my experience float lines usually don't cut cable instantly.
Ghost Trap James Island.png

Pretty quiet in here lately, probably cause of the non retention.

Went out for a few hours this morning, landed two really solid mid twenties springs out by mandarte. Nice to get the reels screaming again.

Unfortunately lost my ap herring spoon when I was monkeying around trying to unhook one of them. Oh well...

Haro Strait - Does anyone fish it?
I would like to find more fishing opportunities closer to the Tulista launch. Haro seems to be the most direct connection between Georgia and Juan De Fuca Straits. In theory, it should enjoy similar amounts of "big water" fishing too, no? I'm referring to Coho moving through it specifically; sort of like in the shipping lanes off victoria and Sooke.
It should have halibut moving through it as well, no?

Has anyone tried? What about in Boundary Pass off Pender?
I've looked at the Gulf Island report threads but it doesn't see a lot of traffic.

Halibut in Haro used to be good.
Numbers seem to have declined over the last 5 years.
I'm sure there are some around.
You are quite right Scott but it has certainly picked up again this year, like so many spots. We got two halibut on each of two trips, one in April and the other in early May on herring.
South Haro at 200 to 250'
I expect the dogs would bad now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well with all the wind in Victoria and Sooke. I battled the calm waters of Sidney. Flat calm water, no wind and fish were jumping in the boat. Fish have definitely turned the corner. Friday 11 for 13 springs biggest 22lbs, most were cookie cutter 12 -15, had an 18 and just under 20lbs. Rods were popping. Most were wild, 2 Hatchery. Today I was 8 for 9, biggest 20 lbs. 6 of the 8 were Hatchery including biggest one. Smashing Skinny g's no bait needed. All shallow key numbers were 41, 37, 33, 51 on rigger in less than 75 ft on sounder. Tons and tons of bait around. Early early morning 4:15 am-9:00 am each day. Starting to like Sidney again! Lol.

Well with all the wind in Victoria and Sooke. I battled the calm waters of Sidney. Flat calm water, no wind and fish were jumping in the boat. Fish have definitely turned the corner. Friday 11 for 13 springs biggest 22lbs, most were cookie cutter 12 -15, had an 18 and just under 20lbs. Rods were popping. Most were wild, 2 Hatchery. Today I was 8 for 9, biggest 20 lbs. 6 of the 8 were Hatchery including biggest one. Smashing Skinny g's no bait needed. All shallow key numbers were 41, 37, 33, 51 on rigger in less than 75 ft on sounder. Tons and tons of bait around. Early early morning 4:15 am-9:00 am each day. Starting to like Sidney again! Lol.
I'm new to fishing Sidney. i don't want to poach your spot but what general area are you in?

I had a different story. Also had an early start in Sidney... 05:00-7:30. Went to coal and got one tiny hit. 3 pound whopper.
FFS
Then I came home and started feeling sick. Barfed all day and haven’t left bed all day. 2 saltines for dinner. FFS

Took a buddy out early Saturday morning as the family aren't morning boaters. We managed to get him his first ling (10Lbs.) and one low teen spring which we had to let go. All our fishing was done around Fairfax Pt. and we got the spring on a No banana's spoon, lime green flasher with 120'on the rigger.

Attachments

• IMG_2962[1].JPG
    IMG_2962[1].JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_E2963[1].JPG
    IMG_E2963[1].JPG
    377.1 KB · Views: 153
Took a buddy out early Saturday morning as the family aren't morning boaters. We managed to get him his first ling (10Lbs.) and one low teen spring which we had to let go. All our fishing was done around Fairfax Pt. and we got the spring on a No banana's spoon, lime green flasher with 120'on the rigger.
That looks like a Lucky spoon and not a No Bananas!

There was a huge amount of tiny bait around this weekend. We had a couple of nice Chinook trolling through bait schools in the deep water of Haro strait while prospecting for Coho. Outfitter color Wee G, red flasher 50' on the rigger.

Went out to Morseby on Monday morning. couple of small Ling, and a nice Chinook. I would guess around 10-12lbs. skinny G and green flasher.

Is anyone catching coho in Sidney? There are lots in Sooke but so many windy days! The wind seems better in Sidney lately but I’m not sure where to go for coho? Haro Strait?

Got back on the horse after some self inflicted issues in sooke last weekend.
Just a couple of hours at coal. 2 hits, 2 landed.
7 and 15ish
The bigger one came as I was raising my gear 10’ to change it up. Cop car combo skinny g and west coast tackle green with a stripe on salty dawg 71’ and 99’ Not another boat out there, unbelievable weather!
164E513A-5A3A-4A9D-83A1-650F30B034F8.jpeg

Got back on the horse after some self inflicted issues in sooke last weekend.
Just a couple of hours at coal. 2 hits, 2 landed.
7 and 15ish
The bigger one came as I was raising my gear 10’ to change it up. Cop car combo skinny g and west coast tackle green with a stripe on salty dawg 71’ and 99’ Not another boat out there, unbelievable weather!
View attachment 82729
Looks super nice out suprised your wearing your stanfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back