2022 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The coho are around, today was our first day fishing (after 4 days boat camping in the Broughtons) and it was very quiet over at Malcolm for us, Donegal to Lizzard..no bait, only one bite at first. Then came down into Blackfish Sound as we had seen lots of bait there earlier in the day (and orca and bumpbacks), but mo love there. That was short-lived, as we saw several boats down at Craycroft so went down that way and that's where the coho were for us... several big ones, but all wild. Also one sockeye and two pink to the boat.

Lots of coho here but only open for hatchery unless you go up toward Echo bay ,fife sound ,James point

I just got back from 15 days in TC with at least some some fishing on almost every day. We released a number of coho in that time (maybe 30ish), mostly from Donegal and Cracroft areas, and didn't encounter a single fin clip. Quite different from the ratios we see in Juan de Fuca where roughly 1 in 3 is clipped. Overall I would rate the spring fishing as 'fair' in the first half of August--had at least an opportunity on a mature spring just about every time we went out but usually had to work at it and not many days where we were into multiple opportunities. I was excited to nab a chicken halibut on the salmon gear off Donegal--which meant I could check 'fish fry' off the list and happily leave the spreader bars in the drawer this trip.

BUT you
I just got back from 15 days in TC with at least some some fishing on almost every day. We released a number of coho in that time (maybe 30ish), mostly from Donegal and Cracroft areas, and didn't encounter a single fin clip. Quite different from the ratios we see in Juan de Fuca where roughly 1 in 3 is clipped. Overall I would rate the spring fishing as 'fair' in the first half of August--had at least an opportunity on a mature spring just about every time we went out but usually had to work at it and not many days where we were into multiple opportunities. I was excited to nab a chicken halibut on the salmon gear off Donegal--which meant I could check 'fish fry' off the list and happily leave the spreader bars in the drawer this trip.
You Didn't report the best part of the trip " neighbour"

BUT you

You Didn't report the best part of the trip " neighbour"
Good point Ed--yes the best part of the trip indeed was getting a spot in the TC neighbourhood. Actually a lot of thanks to you--you posted a pic here earlier in the season of your setup with the pavilion style roof over the trailer site and I thought it was really cool. That was the seed of the idea, and we were thrilled to bump into an opportunity to get a similar site. Looking forward to expanding the annual TC trip into more frequent visits on long weekends etc and experiencing the full range of seasons May-Oct. Honoured to be joining in the nifty little community going on there. We'll be up in Sept (probably the last weekend) to take possession and do some winterizing.

Got out fishing this morning again in the thick fog. Started today in Blackfish passage, couldn't even get second rod down when we had our first large coho on, this one was high teens for sure. Several more of those, then we moved back down to Craycroft again but it was quieter today, with only a few wild coho again. The Johnstone straight was calm, so we thought we'd fish along the western edge back towards Telegraph, and glad we did. Found a school of Spring, with one 76cm in the boat, another flipped off 5 feet from the boat, and released one that was barely legal in hopes of another, but that was it. Headed back in to clean our fish and start the drive back south. A good first trip to the Broughtons and TC for us, so much to explore, and the fish was a bonus. Thanks Capt Ed for the info, helped with our planning.

Got out fishing this morning again in the thick fog. Started today in Blackfish passage, couldn't even get second rod down when we had our first large coho on, this one was high teens for sure. Several more of those, then we moved back down to Craycroft again but it was quieter today, with only a few wild coho again. The Johnstone straight was calm, so we thought we'd fish along the western edge back towards Telegraph, and glad we did. Found a school of Spring, with one 76cm in the boat, another flipped off 5 feet from the boat, and released one that was barely legal in hopes of another, but that was it. Headed back in to clean our fish and start the drive back south. A good first trip to the Broughtons and TC for us, so much to explore, and the fish was a bonus. Thanks Capt Ed for the info, helped with our planning.
I'm 30+ years in the Broughtons, with the same first mate. Hence the name of the boat and my daughter. Always something that makes a trip worthwhile - whether its the fishing, the whales, the grizzlies at Cleo Passage, and now sea otters.

We arrived yesterday and had an 8 lb wild coho and a couple of solid bites in an hour off Mitchell Bay. Hoping the fog lifts enough to take advantage of the halibut tides this weekend. And maybe somebody over 80 cm, now that its legal.

Well our annual trip over to the Broughtons to a coho spot we know didn't disappoint yesterday. 20 coho hooked up 15 to the boat ,3 -11 #ers in the box and a bonus 83cm Spring. All in 2 1/2 hrs. Oh and we didn't start till noon

Well our annual trip over to the Broughtons to a coho spot we know didn't disappoint yesterday. 20 coho hooked up 15 to the boat ,3 -11 #ers in the box and a bonus 83cm Spring. All in 2 1/2 hrs. Oh and we didn't start till noon
We had good coho fishing yesterday at the mouth of Fife -- not as good as Capt Ed -- only 3 to the boat and another half dozen hooked up. In about an hour and a half.

Hello,
Im planning my first trip out of McNeil this weekend and had a few quetions hopefully you folk can help me out with
any water hazards i should know about I heard that the South end of Malcolm can get pretty rough, I have a small 17.5' KC thermoglass.
I hear the crabbing is good, any general areas to give me a heads start? looking for dungies.
Thanks!

Hello,
Im planning my first trip out of McNeil this weekend and had a few quetions hopefully you folk can help me out with
any water hazards i should know about I heard that the South end of Malcolm can get pretty rough, I have a small 17.5' KC thermoglass.
I hear the crabbing is good, any general areas to give me a heads start? looking for dungies.
Thanks!
watch ledge point reef. there is a spot to sneak thru. watch your chart plotter. salmon fishing can be amazing around double bay, bold head, lizard donegal. back side of malcom for smaller halibut. Johnstone Straight is a miserable piece of water on a flood tide. Almost bought the farm where Blackney Passage and Johnstone Straight converge, taking my entire young family with me.

Just respect the tides and currents. But it’s also some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever see and tons of whales so enjoy

watch ledge point reef. there is a spot to sneak thru. watch your chart plotter. salmon fishing can be amazing around double bay, bold head, lizard donegal. back side of malcom for smaller halibut. Johnstone Straight is a miserable piece of water on a flood tide. Almost bought the farm where Blackney Passage and Johnstone Straight converge, taking my entire young family with me.

Just respect the tides and currents. But it’s also some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever see and tons of whales so enjoy
All good points and true. South end of Malcolm, the thing to watch for is big currents and standing waves at times -- but if you're on the outside of Donegal and it blows up NW, you can usually nip around the bottom end and fish from Donegal to Mitchell Bay. In a 17' boat, I'd actually be more concerned about getting caught by NW over at Bere Pt and having to come back around the top end of Malcolm -- it can go from calm to 3-4-5' breaking crap in half an hour. So if you go that far from McNeill, keep a good eye on the weather and be ready to bolt for the inside of Malcolm.

The Blackfish Sound side of the Plumpers and Hanson is fairly protected and fishy - and its a short run to Telegraph Cove and the Killer Whale Cafe - just watch the area between Hanson and Telegraph for some nasty standing wave patches on the wrong tide/wind combinations - changing where you cross makes a huge difference, as my wife and I proved a few times in an open 16' boat!

Its a great area, and we've loved it for 30 years.

Translation. Don’t try to sneak through the islands during an afternoon tide change

yep, all of the above - closest day I have had to going swimming was getting stuck in the inlet behind Swanson as the NW blew up (15-25 knots forecast turned out to be 30-35 and the "3 hour tour" was almost an abandon ship on Plumper Islands trying to get back to Mitchell (that was in a 17') After taking on too much water over the bow and riding the top of the wave/doubling back behind stubbs looking for better water, we were kissing the wharf once we got there. Nail biter for sure. Respect the afternoon, especially if sunny as it can blow up super quick (but more times then not, its also glass when we go!)

Hello,
Thanks!
Best spot for dungies in the area you plan to visit is right in the back of McNeill Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back