2022 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we've had company here for 4 days and spring fishing was a bit of a struggle for slot limit springs. The first 3 days had produced only 2 keepers for the 4 guys but 2 of the guys had to let go springs over 100cm which was a fun battle to watch, 1 taped out to be 36.5 pounds and was his biggest salmon ever . The last day was excellent fishing and they picked 4 more slot limit springs , 3 in the high 70s and 1 right at 70 ,also 1 more 100cm fish that taped out to 28 pounds. Looks like a few more here today as while I type this I get photos from a buddy and his wife out there with 2 in the box. Hope it holds out for a few days.
We're coming back next week, hoping for success on the halibut tides, and access to springs -- and to coho on the mainland side. Do you mind saying what areas you were fishing?

Well we've had company here for 4 days and spring fishing was a bit of a struggle for slot limit springs. The first 3 days had produced only 2 keepers for the 4 guys but 2 of the guys had to let go springs over 100cm which was a fun battle to watch, 1 taped out to be 36.5 pounds and was his biggest salmon ever . The last day was excellent fishing and they picked 4 more slot limit springs , 3 in the high 70s and 1 right at 70 ,also 1 more 100cm fish that taped out to 28 pounds. Looks like a few more here today as while I type this I get photos from a buddy and his wife out there with 2 in the box. Hope it holds out for a few days.
Any sockeye coming thru that area?

We're coming back next week, hoping for success on the halibut tides, and access to springs -- and to coho on the mainland side. Do you mind saying what areas you were fishing?
Springs at Donegal, coho in fife, trolled up a couple small Hali along the way

2 nights ago we caught the flood tide at Craycroft in the evening. Two taped out at 31 and 32 lbs and lost 2 more as big. Nothing there since just cohoe. We’re you fishing back of Malcolm Island? I was there yesterday just pinks and cohoe not keepable.

Yesterday we had 9 springs between the 2 boats, 2 were way over 3 were just under legal 3 between 75-80 and 1 at 70 at the head
2 nights ago we caught the flood tide at Craycroft in the evening. Two taped out at 31 and 32 lbs and lost 2 more as big. Nothing there since just cohoe. We’re you fishing back of Malcolm Island? I was there yesterday just pinks and cohoe not keepable.

Sounds like your scratching the bottom. Hali’s showing up. Nice

Has anybody heard any reports about possible recreational sockeye openings? I know the Adams are around on the west coast and I have heard they are around Port Hardy. Hope to be able to catch some later this month at Sointula and just hope that DFO doesn't mismanagement this run like the Skeena one this year.

Has anybody heard any reports about possible recreational sockeye openings? I know the Adams are around on the west coast and I have heard they are around Port Hardy. Hope to be able to catch some later this month at Sointula and just hope that DFO doesn't mismanagement this run like the Skeena one this year.
DFO says nothing.Zero. Nada. They don't even update on Big Bar slidesite anymore. Lot different down South updates with numbers are frequent.

Judging by the test sets I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an opening here. That being said, there was a **** pile of sockeye off Donegal this morning ,finner groups every where

I was out at Esperanza and there were lots of sockeye jumping on the outside. Sliders all over the place out off shore. We even caught one on a Herring Aide Skinny G

Loads of sockeye off Donegal today, even manage one to the boat on bait. Hated to turn it loose

Springs are up and down day to day, some good coho around the other side . Sockeye test set are very very good the last 4 days, I'm doubtful for an opening but you never know

I was just looking over the regs and noticed Area 12 Chinook closes August 16th ( today ) is that correct? Or will there be changes made?

I was just looking over the regs and noticed Area 12 Chinook closes August 16th ( today ) is that correct? Or will there be changes made?
Where do you see that? I am looking at Fisheries Notice 693, which includes

Queen Charlotte Strait and Johnstone Strait (Area 12, excluding Subarea 12-14):

- 00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours August 16: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

- 00:01 hours August 17 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit.

- 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit.

Anyone fish plugs around McNeill?

Or is that just a west coast and down island thing?
Some plugs have been used but the bait seems to be primarily small herring ergo skinny g’s etc. The odd belly has bigger herring so sure give the plugs a go.

well first day of the big springs and my buddy got one about 100cm . 1 other small spring and fog so thick you could cut it with a knife

well first day of the big springs and my buddy got one about 100cm . 1 other small spring and fog so thick you could cut it with a knife
Any Coho around up there? Coming up on Friday and hope to have other things than 1 spring.

And the sockeye thing is fawked. Good tests and lots being caught by the privileged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back