Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out last night from 6-830. Fished Clarke and Piper's area. Ended up with three, about 8, 10, and 16 lbs. All between 60 and 90 feet.

Props to outbeen's report above. Motivated me to get out before the wind arrived, and we got all three on plugs. A 6" 602 and a 5" 304.

This picture is terrible and I need to make a better fish storage system. Off-season project.
IMG_20220906_195753_01.jpg

Went out last night from 6-830. Fished Clarke and Piper's area. Ended up with three, about 8, 10, and 16 lbs. All between 60 and 90 feet.

Props to outbeen's report above. Motivated me to get out before the wind arrived, and we got all three on plugs. A 6" 602 and a 5" 304.

This picture is terrible and I need to make a better fish storage system. Off-season project.
View attachment 84749
Yes!!! Plugs are the best!

View attachment 84749

These reliable fish bags work great.

A bunch of boats fishing in tight between Piper's and Clark Rock? Any kills out there? Water was complete glass

I went out today from just after 1 until 3. Was dead for us. We got there just after the low slack and there was some bait stacked up, but nothing happened for us. Ran a plug and a whole herring for the most part. Tried a bunch of depths but mostly 70-90. I blame my four year old for the less than ideal driving but deep inside I know I own the skunk.

Didn't see others do much but also wasn't looking much.

I went out today from just after 1 until 3. Was dead for us. We got there just after the low slack and there was some bait stacked up, but nothing happened for us. Ran a plug and a whole herring for the most part. Tried a bunch of depths but mostly 70-90. I blame my four year old for the less than ideal driving but deep inside I know I own the skunk.

Didn't see others do much but also wasn't looking much.
I was out there as well from 1-4. We tried every depth and combo off pipers. No luck. Orcas came through around 4. Hauled out the boat for the year.

Great season and good luck to all!!

fished clark to neck point for about 5-6 hours today. A lot of little guys including one very small hatchery coho. Lost two that felt like good fish but never got to lay eyes on them. marked lots of bait and fish but very slow for us today. I have the rest of the week off, where would be a good alternative to get into some fish? Or is everything slow now? Out front of Qualicum river maybe?

fished clark to neck point for about 5-6 hours today. A lot of little guys including one very small hatchery coho. Lost two that felt like good fish but never got to lay eyes on them. marked lots of bait and fish but very slow for us today. I have the rest of the week off, where would be a good alternative to get into some fish? Or is everything slow now? Out front of Qualicum river maybe?
Go fish in front of the big Q or little Q. People pretend it is quite there to keep the numbers down. Fish shallow 30-50 feet

We fished in front of pipers lagoon tonight. Very slow for us. Hooked into a beauty right before dark and lost it right at the boat after a couple of good runs and a few jumps!
Great way to end the night.

Caught a 64cm on a spoon at first light (about 6:45am) this morning.
60ft down over 120 of water between the navigation light and Clarke light. 4 other shakers before 7:30am and nothing after that. There is still lots of bait balls showing up. We tried jigging but no luck.

Actually, I did not catch a single salmon so far in Nanaimo while jigging this year.
Did anyone have more success?

So I got out this evening from 6ish - 7:30 with my son and his buddy. Fished Clark Rock to Pipers. Good action tonight. Lots of bait. Started with a 62cm that fought great and released. Next boated a 15lb chrome spring. Great fight. Gong show on the boat netting it but it worked out in the end. Finally lost a pin popper that fought like the keeper.
Spoons were the ticket. Big eye wonderbread and a smaller beaten up green spoon. 100’ and 120’ on the riggers.

Seems like that’s a wrap for the season as life gets busy now with sports starting up.

Attachments

• 3012F0AC-3427-434E-A8FC-A8D9D01F7133.jpeg
    3012F0AC-3427-434E-A8FC-A8D9D01F7133.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 113
  • 667CA157-C9E6-4D62-8BBB-C4687AC3A874.jpeg
    667CA157-C9E6-4D62-8BBB-C4687AC3A874.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 20B676CB-45F4-40DF-B655-DE3198D3E4C8.jpeg
    20B676CB-45F4-40DF-B655-DE3198D3E4C8.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 113
So I got out this evening from 6ish - 7:30 with my son and his buddy. Fished Clark Rock to Pipers. Good action tonight. Lots of bait. Started with a 62cm that fought great and released. Next boated a 15lb chrome spring. Great fight. Gong show on the boat netting it but it worked out in the end. Finally lost a pin popper that fought like the keeper.
Spoons were the ticket. Big eye wonderbread and a smaller beaten up green spoon. 100’ and 120’ on the riggers.

Seems like that’s a wrap for the season as life gets busy now with sports starting up.
Nice fish!!

Snuck out for a few hours this afternoon for the last kick at the can. Released about 8 shakers that at times, were hard to tell if they were even on the line. Frequent gear checks needed. Had a missed pin-popper and finally bagged a nice hatchery coho about 6-7lbs for the bbq. Saw a couple other decent sized fish being played as well.

Was out saturday and had a similar time. Non-stop small fish. I could barely get one rigger down without the other going off. A couple of just undersized lings as well trolling. Had the clip pop twice but they never made it to the boat. Best fish of the afternoon was a decent wild coho.

Question for the regulars: when I get into so many undersized fish, what should that be telling me? Too deep? Not deep enough? move up in lure size? Trolling speed? Or, is it just the time of year, as some people at the launch seem to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back