2022 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty scratchy morning at porlier for us yesterday. Ended up bonking 1 legal and @hippaisland lost a winter hog (10lbs or so ;) ) just out the back. He’ll probably remind everyone that one of my teaser head leaders snapped on another keeper so I’ll just get ahead of that story now. Anyways, smokies on the new bbq while trolling wasn’t the worst. Needlefish hootchie and Chovy on bottom in 200’ for us.

Attachments

• 811108F6-827F-48E9-9FFC-93454221469B.jpeg
    811108F6-827F-48E9-9FFC-93454221469B.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 136
Saw a white kingfisher with about 10 dudes jigging their little hearts out right inside of Porlier this afternoon. Apparently this is a regular occurrence in there, says my buddy. Anyone ever report them? We were just flying through so didn't have a chance. What would they be fishing for?
Clandestine bottom raping charter operation. They have a few boats and been busted before

Last edited:
Clandestine bottom raping charter operation. They have a few boats and been busted before

• We will depart at 8:30 am , our experienced skipper will sail to the secret fishing spot in Vancouver Island Region 17 and Sub-area 25-2. Most of our customer can get their fish catch within that 8 hours tour.

• Within the fishing areas, we can catch many different type of fish, such as Rockfish, Yelloweye, Lingcod, Halibut, Sole, Salmon etc.

Ive lived in
  • We will depart at 8:30 am , our experienced skipper will sail to the secret fishing spot in Vancouver Island Region 17 and Sub-area 25-2. Most of our customer can get their fish catch within that 8 hours tour.

• Within the fishing areas, we can catch many different type of fish, such as Rockfish, Yelloweye, Lingcod, Halibut, Sole, Salmon etc.
I have been in the Gulf Islands for 44 years now. Seen lots of bozo’s come and go. Too many have exploited for too long.

First world problems, boat has spent long in the driveway. Locks were frozen. By the time I finished work, got everything ready to go and fuelled up the tide had dropped and launching at Tsalista without ruining my truck was impossible. Heading out for first light tomorrow as long as the weird rash on my sons hands aren't covid. FML! Still a pretty good life.

How has crabbing and prawning been? I've got 10 traps loaded but I'm thinking it might be overkill!

First world problems, boat has spent long in the driveway. Locks were frozen. By the time I finished work, got everything ready to go and fuelled up the tide had dropped and launching at Tsalista without ruining my truck was impossible. Heading out for first light tomorrow as long as the weird rash on my sons hands aren't covid. FML! Still a pretty good life.

How has crabbing and prawning been? I've got 10 traps loaded but I'm thinking it might be overkill!

Crabbing for me today sucked, prawning ok , lots of boats out around tent, didnt see anything caught and we only caught 1 small undersized spring beauty day though
20220225_230336.jpg

Last edited:
Bad news here I'm afraid...a whole year making that fancy boat and then all of a sudden, there I am, minding my own business just west of Tent Island, and everything goes sideways.

First a fishing reel starts making this horrible sound like it's being forced to unwind against its will, so I throw the boat in neutral to see what's happening. Sure enough the reel is unwinding...furious about the interruption and worried I might lose the Herring Aid that's tied to my leader where I was dragging it about six feet behind a lemon lime dummy-rigged flasher, I try to reel it back in but it was like something was trying to prevent me from saving the lure! How annoying! I had to reel it in for a bit, then let it go, then reel again...such a frustrating experience. I mean at least with the dummy flasher, I wasn't at risk of losing anything but the spoon but you can imagine with no flasher in the way and just a short mono leader over braid, it was like I could feel every little twitch on the other end, and this thing that was trying to steal my lure clearly wasn't interested in cooperating, it fought and fought.

It took a while but eventually I got it all sorted and managed to get the stupid thing off my line but I couldn't get it free in the water so I had to drag the damn thing in with me and beat it into submission.

Not only did it ruin the calm, serene boating trip I was having but somehow I got this gross red stuff all over the floor.

2022-03-09 15.41.34.jpg

I am posting to warn others of my experience. I brought this one home I guess partly out of vengeance but I also wanted to photograph it just to serve as a warning to everyone that these things are lurking out there. Be careful, this thing was like the size of my damn kid, who's three feet tall. It was a harrowing afternoon and all in all a pretty terrible end to my day. I can't believe I took off early from work for that. I guess you can't win them all.

2022-03-09 18.27.32.png

Bad news here I'm afraid...a whole year making that fancy boat and then all of a sudden, there I am, minding my own business just west of Tent Island, and everything goes sideways.

First a fishing reel starts making this horrible sound like it's being forced to unwind against its will, so I throw the boat in neutral to see what's happening. Sure enough the reel is unwinding...furious about the interruption and worried I might lose the Herring Aid that's tied to my leader where I was dragging it about six feet behind a lemon lime dummy-rigged flasher, I try to reel it back in but it was like something was trying to prevent me from saving the lure! How annoying! I had to reel it in for a bit, then let it go, then reel again...such a frustrating experience. I mean at least with the dummy flasher, I wasn't at risk of losing anything but the spoon but you can imagine with no flasher in the way and just a short mono leader over braid, it was like I could feel every little twitch on the other end, and this thing that was trying to steal my lure clearly wasn't interested in cooperating, it fought and fought.

It took a while but eventually I got it all sorted and managed to get the stupid thing off my line but I couldn't get it free in the water so I had to drag the damn thing in with me and beat it into submission.

Not only did it ruin the calm, serene boating trip I was having but somehow I got this gross red stuff all over the floor.

View attachment 76229

I am posting to warn others of my experience. I brought this one home I guess partly out of vengeance but I also wanted to photograph it just to serve as a warning to everyone that these things are lurking out there. Be careful, this thing was like the size of my damn kid, who's three feet tall. It was a harrowing afternoon and all in all a pretty terrible end to my day. I can't believe I took off early from work for that. I guess you can't win them all.

View attachment 76230
Fantasic Fish and great story!
Congrats

Trying to find out if Sannich Inlet is pulsating prawns this year or is it open all the time , thanks
Most of it is Closed now. Will likely open on April 1 for regular fishing. Pulse fishing usually starts in September.

View attachment 76229

View attachment 76230
I knew that boat was going to be fishy!

Hey gulf islanders, just wanted to post this up here to make sure you are aware of the Galiano derby on May 28th out of Montague Harbour. Still awaiting details once DFO announces regs but last time it was held (2019) it was a catch & release event so might be the same for 2022 depending on the regs.

Attachments

• 2022 Galiano Derby Save Date.jpg
    2022 Galiano Derby Save Date.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 67
Hey gulf islanders, just wanted to post this up here to make sure you are aware of the Galiano derby on May 28th out of Montague Harbour. Still awaiting details once DFO announces regs but last time it was held (2019) it was a catch & release event so might be the same for 2022 depending on the regs.
Looking forward to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back