2021 Yamaha FX250 outboard

I see that water isn’t coming out of my 2021 fx250 Outboard with approximately 91 hours. I checked the output is the smallest opening in the whole cooling circuit. If it’s pumping water then pull off the flush attachment and you should see water pumping out of there (while the motors running). If you have no water there then your water pump needs to get serviced.
Is there anything else I can do before booking it in to the dealer.

You shouldn’t have a toast impeller on that few of hours. Most likely just a bit of salt buildup or something else clogging the discharge hole. Hook up a hose to the flush port and run the tap wide open for a while. Does water come out the discharge hole? If still nothing get some 200lb mono or weed eater line and stick it up the discharge whole as far as it will go. Can also use some salt away with the flush port if it is salt buildup.

I hooked up the garden hose to the flush attachment and the water comes out of the leg. As what I would do to flush the leg.
Can I blow air threw the top of the lines to see if anything is blocking the line.

I hooked up the garden hose to the flush attachment and the water comes out of the leg. As what I would do to flush the leg.
Can I blow air threw the top of the lines to see if anything is blocking the line.
So there’s not even a dribble out of the discharge hole when you have the hose hooked up? Is the tap wide open for max pressure? I wouldn’t be blowing compressed air up there, like I mentioned I would put stringer line or thick mono up. I’ve done this numerous times when my discharge gets weak.

I use a piece of pliable wire to dislodge any debris or salt out of the end of the pee hose/fitting

Garden hose attachment.
Try it with muffs and see if it pee’s water out the telltale. I thought I was told that you didn’t need to start the motor when using the hose attachment. It just kind of flushes it out without starting, but I’ve been told it’s still better to start it up on muffs

91 hours is new. That shouldn't be happening. I'd call and have it checked under warranty. Personally. Have you been running the motor with just the hose connection that's used for flushing out the motor? That doesn't give you sufficient water source in the motor I have been told to clean out the entire water cooling circuit. In fact running the motor using the hose connection and not muffs can burn out the impeller. The only way to properly flush out a Yam is to put on the muffs and tape off two of the inlet holes. There are a couple of videos on YouTube that explain the process.

Last edited:
I’ll have to try it with muffs. On the phone the dealer side of it’s the impeller it’s not covered under warranty. Will see if I can’t get it working than what the dealer will have to say. Thanks for all help and tips.

I’ll have to try it with muffs. On the phone the dealer side of it’s the impeller it’s not covered under warranty. Will see if I can’t get it working than what the dealer will have to say. Thanks for all help and tips.
Is the motor actually overheating or behaving improperly in some other way? (ECM overheat alarm, rough running due to VST not cooling, etc)

This might be nothing and it runs fine when dunked or ran on muffs. Please run it in adequate water before bringing it to a shop to change out a impeller that is perfectly fine. Take it to a boat launch just to fire it up in water if you want

I don't have a Yamaha but I know my outboard didn't produce much of a telltale stream running on earmuffs. It doesn't spit water when flushing through the hose attachment (Evinrude says not to run the motor in this setup, just hose).

Suggest you put it in a lake somewhere and start it, the water pickups are fully immersed rather than depending on questionable seals on earmuffs. Need not even launch it if it's not a busy time at rhe ramp. Just keep it on the trailer and start her up. Whether it pees or not, let it warm up, observe temp closely. You should "see" thermostats open and temp stabilise.
1. Pee stream good, warms up and stable at operating temp. Go home knowing not to expect it to pee when flushing on hose attachment only.
2. No pee stream, but motor warms up and holds at op temp. Blockage somewhere in telltale hose or fitting.
3. No pee stream, engine heading toward overheat. Observe water pressure - is it within factory spec? If yes, then check function of thermostat/s. If no/low water pressure, you have a water pump problem or a blockage in the delivery passages.

Yes the motor is under warranty, but no sense in having them replace a perfectly good impeller at your cost. Seeing that pee stream is important when the boat is in the water, but the other methods of feeding it water are imperfect.

I tried a set of earmuffs that supply water to both ears, that made my outboard pee like a champ. But for flushing and testing purposes, the single sided ones work fine. Enough water gets to the pump for it to cool the engine.

Not to hijack this thread, but I just watched a Born Again Boating YouTube video strangely called Why I NEVER Flush My Outboard that explains the 3 methods for flushing an outboard in detail. I always thought that you should never run the motor when using only the hose adaptor or the impeller will fry but he debunks that myth. But just to be safe, I will always continue to use the muffs on my Suzuki just in case with some Salt Away added every few flush sessions.

Back