2021 Tuna Adventures

Traveling to Ukie tomo..
Looks like might be tuna fishable on weds or Thurs..
Pm me if interested to buddy up
we are lea ing Nanaimo tomorrow putting in at port ylberni and going up the inlet and get fuel either Bamfield or Uki. going offshore wed morning probably in the dark and slow to conserve fuel. will be heading out to Barkley Canyon or somewhere around 48 by 126 degrees depending on terrafin. would be happy to buddy up either on the way out or on the numbers. my cell phone is 250 756 6239, Rob wolanski
please give me a call if you wish today as I am just finishing boat prep. I hope the weather is as good as it looks on wind alert. looking at weather system flow there are two systems that look to threaten calm seas coming in late Friday

We are looking to head out for Tuna this week. weather looks good on wind alert starting Tuesday Aug 24. just wondering if anyone else is heading out at this time. Last time I was out was two years ago as I blew one of my motors and then having a baby boy last May put fishing on the back burners.
Usually I am talking to Thomas about tuna Intel and I am so saddened by his passing this last year. I knew Thomas for 25 years and he was a great friend both with fishing and as a fellow dentist. He started his fishing career in Northern Alberta as a lake guide and he flew his float plane into tough to get to lakes. When Thomas did something he did it to the max both in learned skills and effort. I am pissied that with Covid Thomas did not get a farewell as he so deserved. It is heart warming to see you guys dedicate the Tuna thread to him. Rob Wolanski
Sirine, I feel your pain! Thomas was not only a gentleman, but one hell of a great friend and fisherman. He is missed deeply! I have been on several adventures with him, as he was my tuna coach, and got me addicted to this fishery. We have been 150 miles out of Bamfield, 100 miles off west port Washington together, rivers inlet, and WH several times. We now carry his passion with us!
we are registered in “ Bounty into the Blue” in WH sept 2nd through 6th, our team name is SMILIES PURSUIT, he was registered as well, however we have to try and do our best to fill those big shoes! There will be an off shore mamorial held on the tuna grounds with the tuna fleet for Thomas, if you or anyone else would like to join us in a final salute to such a genuine man.
Layne Benner “After Hours”

Sirine, I feel your pain! Thomas was not only a gentleman, but one hell of a great friend and fisherman. He is missed deeply! I have been on several adventures with him, as he was my tuna coach, and got me addicted to this fishery. We have been 150 miles out of Bamfield, 100 miles off west port Washington together, rivers inlet, and WH several times. We now carry his passion with us!
we are registered in “ Bounty into the Blue” in WH sept 2nd through 6th, our team name is SMILIES PURSUIT, he was registered as well, however we have to try and do our best to fill those big shoes! There will be an off shore mamorial held on the tuna grounds with the tuna fleet for Thomas, if you or anyone else would like to join us in a final salute to such a genuine man.
Layne Benner “After Hours”
Hi Layne, I smile remembering the pictures he showed me of you guys carrying bladders nd jerry cans of gas strapped to your boats, I thought you guys were crazy but tuna guys are crazy that will be a wonderful memorial to have for him and he will be smiling. not sure if I can make it though. we are heading our offshore tomorrow in search of the long fins . all the best Rob

Hi Layne, I smile remembering the pictures he showed me of you guys carrying bladders nd jerry cans of gas strapped to your boats, I thought you guys were crazy but tuna guys are crazy that will be a wonderful memorial to have for him and he will be smiling. not sure if I can make it though. we are heading our offshore tomorrow in search of the long fins . all the best Rob
Yes Rob, life time memories that will last for my lifetime for certain!! And yes crazy for sure, however when you have the right people, anything is achievable. Best of luck to you tomorrow out there, be safe, and know Thomas is smiling down on you out there!! I hope one day we can meet on the tuna grounds and share some great stories!! Be safe out there! And right lines!

Well I finally got out for my first tuna adventure yesterday and it was epic. A fellow I know in McNeil invited me as the 3 seat in his Pursuit and I was so grateful. We left from Port Alice in the dark with some coordinates he has gotten from some guide boats and about 8 oclock the fun began. The fellows I was with had only been a couple of times but knew just what to do and we ended up hooking 17 and landing 14 which was higher than I had expected. The weather was perfect, we could run both ways at almost full cruise. Lots of boats out there, I counted a dozen that I could see when there was a bit of a bite. So I'm hooked now and I knew it would happen. I guess my 2459 may go for sale and a something a bit bigger may be in my future. Thanks again to Ray and AL for making this tuna newbies dream come true

Well I finally got out for my first tuna adventure yesterday and it was epic. A fellow I know in McNeil invited me as the 3 seat in his Pursuit and I was so grateful. We left from Port Alice in the dark with some coordinates he has gotten from some guide boats and about 8 oclock the fun began. The fellows I was with had only been a couple of times but knew just what to do and we ended up hooking 17 and landing 14 which was higher than I had expected. The weather was perfect, we could run both ways at almost full cruise. Lots of boats out there, I counted a dozen that I could see when there was a bit of a bite. So I'm hooked now and I knew it would happen. I guess my 2459 may go for sale and a something a bit bigger may be in my future. Thanks again to Ray and AL for making this tuna newbies dream come true
That’s a great day! Happy for you but it really is addicting

Nice how far was the run out?

who is in the original tuna shoot out?
ya bamfield!!
me and robaldo for sure, so far 22 tickets have been bought.

who is in the original tuna shoot out?
ya bamfield!!
me and robaldo for sure, so far 22 tickets have been bought.
I'm doing the Bamfield tuna shootout too! Can't wait. First timer to the shoot out and Tuna fishing. Have been devouring any and all information about tuna fishing techniques on this forum and others. I'm using my Salmon fishing strategy of buying more and more and more gear.
Looking forward to learning the craft and catching the addiction.
Can anyone let me know the availability of bulk ice in Bamfield for the shootout? Was planning to load up at French Creek or in Port Alberni before we run out but would be good to know that we can resupply in Bamfield.

Back