The fish gods were smiling on us today. Fished Moresby from 10 -2. Lots of other boats out. We went 4/4 with 2 keepers over the magic 62cm mark. One hatch and one wild. The usual 140 - 160 feet bottom bouncing. Glow flashers and glow AP sand lance spoons were the ticket.

Beauty day capped off with 7 keeper dungies and about 50 prawns.

Attachments

• IMG_3414.jpg
    IMG_3414.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 99
Went out to give Powder Wharf a try today. Bit came on fast and furious at 11 with around 15 fish on in an hour. All around 60 cm with a couple bigger ones that I lost unfortunately. Died off at 12:30. All fish were around 60’. Was enjoying the sun with the kids and about to call it a day when I heard a Mayday call on 16 of a person in the water off Island View beach. Pulled gear and full throttle over to island view to find a guy out in the channel trying to be helped by a woman in a kayak. By the time I got along side the man was barely able to hold on and I got ahold of him and dragged him into my boat and got him infront of the mr Buddy heater. He was in stage 2 hypothermia and not really saying anything or moving. With the help of coast guard on the radio and a nearby rcmp vessel and search and rescue I was able to pass him off to the rcmp and they had an ambulance waiting at James Island Rd dock. A scary reminder of how cold the water is at this time of year and how fast accidents can happen. The guy had been in the water probably 15 minutes and if he had been in another 5 might not have made it. Also a reminder to keep your VHF on channel 16. There were other boats around but only heard one other person respond to the mayday. RCMP called tonight to thank me for the quick action and updated me on the guys condition and to let me know he was ok. Be safe out there everyone and wear a PFD! Had this guy not been wearing one no way he would have survived.

Attachments

• 83EEDBA9-66C2-4AFE-BCBC-5484DAD6D69F.jpeg
    83EEDBA9-66C2-4AFE-BCBC-5484DAD6D69F.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 254
  • D62AD8E9-1A5E-4CD1-BC92-46D5C0AC82B2.jpeg
    D62AD8E9-1A5E-4CD1-BC92-46D5C0AC82B2.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 244
  • 7BB440CC-D960-4F64-8641-5D886A2E1BCE.jpeg
    7BB440CC-D960-4F64-8641-5D886A2E1BCE.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 251
Went out to give Powder Wharf a try today. Bit came on fast and furious at 11 with around 15 fish on in an hour. All around 60 cm with a couple bigger ones that I lost unfortunately. Died off at 12:30. All fish were around 60’. Was enjoying the sun with the kids and about to call it a day when I heard a Mayday call on 16 of a person in the water off Island View beach. Pulled gear and full throttle over to island view to find a guy out in the channel trying to be helped by a woman in a kayak. By the time I got along side the man was barely able to hold on and I got ahold of him and dragged him into my boat and got him infront of the mr Buddy heater. He was in stage 2 hypothermia and not really saying anything or moving. With the help of coast guard on the radio and a nearby rcmp vessel and search and rescue I was able to pass him off to the rcmp and they had an ambulance waiting at James Island Rd dock. A scary reminder of how cold the water is at this time of year and how fast accidents can happen. The guy had been in the water probably 15 minutes and if he had been in another 5 might not have made it. Also a reminder to keep your VHF on channel 16. There were other boats around but only heard one other person respond to the mayday. RCMP called tonight to thank me for the quick action and updated me on the guys condition and to let me know he was ok. Be safe out there everyone and wear a PFD! Had this guy not been wearing one no way he would have survived.
Well you truly where an angel to that guy...what a day for you!!!, a real feel good story thank goodness you where that close hats off to you sir!

Gave zero rock a go for halibut this morning. Conditions were perfect until the SW winds picked up. Not even a dogfish for my efforts.

Trolled Sidney Channel yesterday and picked up two. One JBL and another over 10lbs. Lost a few others. Not on fire but productive.
The bigger one had a 7 inch needle fish in its stomach along with two pile worms, one which was still alive. First time I've ver seen that in a salmon.

Fished Moresby from 9 - 1 yesterday. Was the only boat out there for the entire shift. They must have known something that I didn't. 3 undersize to the boat. Not as much bait showing on the sounder as in previous trips this winter. Headed in when the hailstorm hit.

Nice work! Such an important story to tell. I was shaking my head when a father and son headed out Sunday from Island view beach in their Stryker inflatable. Weather was Forcast to blow up and they were in a black boat with black pfd’s and black clothing. Buy only Red or Reflective(3M) life jackets preferably Mustang. A person in the water looks like a crab bouy from the air or a distance.

Tried around Moresby for a halibut. Beautiful day out there. Thats it lol.

Tried around Moresby for a halibut. Beautiful day out there. Thats it lol.
same for me....just south. Only 2 other boats in the area and I talked to both. No hali for anybody in Haro that I could tell.

Late report from the weekend.. Fished the Mill bay derby on Saturday and jigged a bit a Powder. Lots of bait around but no love ? Moved to Hamley and trolled out the rest of the day and just hit small fish. Only saw one nice one taken. Winner was 16lb from Wain rock i think ?

Late report from the weekend.. Fished the Mill bay derby on Saturday and jigged a bit a Powder. Lots of bait around but no love ? Moved to Hamley and trolled out the rest of the day and just hit small fish. Only saw one nice one taken. Winner was 16lb from Wain rock i think ?
Also fished the derby, Had similar luck around fairfax and arbutus. I believe the winner and a few of the bigger fish came from tent island near chemainus.

Back