2021 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0726-Recreational - Sockeye - Area 23 - Closing to Sockeye Retention

Effective 00:01 hours July 28, 2021, Sockeye retention is zero (0) in Area 23. The Somass Sockeye run size has been downgraded to 500,000, migration conditions have been deteriorating and escapement is lagging. No further Sockeye retention fisheries are anticipated. Chinook and Coho retention remains open (see FN0678 and FN0510).

Variation Order # 2021-RFQ-0394.

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Effective 00:01 hours July 28, 2021, Sockeye retention is zero (0) in Area 23. The Somass Sockeye run size has been downgraded to 500,000, migration conditions have been deteriorating and escapement is lagging. No further Sockeye retention fisheries are anticipated. Chinook and Coho retention remains open (see FN0678 and FN0510).

about time...

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Never understood why they don’t keep the retention for commies and sport at the low end till they get a good % of the escapement before they open it right up

Well there's a ton of fish in the canal still, didn't have any trouble hooking my limit today, landing them took a bit though. They just need some favourable migration conditions, hope for some rain!

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Again WTF is anyone allowed to fish or harvest until the escapement is obtained, are they full of BS and think we are the ignorant or are they that F'N STUPID ! Don't answer that, go back to school boys and girls and this time pay attention in class !!
Boy this Burns me to hear "escapement is lagging" (Bet it has FA to do with fish, its just the rain, maybe consider closing everything close to the river mouth and river until it rains , but not the whole inlet run , don't see how fishing from lets say 10 mile to pill is going to effect the escapement now)

Last edited:
Well there's a ton of fish in the canal still, didn't have any trouble hooking my limit today, landing them took a bit though. They just need some favourable migration conditions, hope for some rain!

test seine had great catches on the inside yesterday.

Last edited:
Never understood why they don’t keep the retention for commies and sport at the low end till they get a good % of the escapement before they open it right up
Whenever did common sense become part of their decision making?

Thanks for posting this catch data. Interesting. Again the FN and commercial sectors have exceeded TAC before DFO knows if escapement needs will be met.

I had some pretty bad hot takes last year with the chinook return to the inlet, crucifying the commercials and roundtable for allowing such a massacre of springs before anything hit the spawning grounds/hatchery, but in the end they got their brood stock number and everyone got a good portion of the pie.

Hoping this year is the same but for sockeye, however I am unsure why caution is tossed aside and allow the seiners to open, and FN economic fisheries (I GET CEREMONIAL AND FOOD FISHERIES) before substantial numbers start to cross the fish ladders especially with big heat waves so early this year, they should have known the river temps would rise quickly and halt migration, instead the early run was met with nets strung out across the entire river.

19,289 fish being over harvested is a pretty big number all things considered.

Now holding enviroment is deteriorating and the fish holding in the inlet might not even make it to the river, nevermind successfully spawning.

We went out a couple of times this year and took home 16 sockeye over the course of the opening and I have more than enough fish canned to last me a very long time. They were much bigger this year than last year.

Except the recretional sector was the only one that didn't go over their allocated numbers
Ya ok, but you where still killing fish that from your own word are in danger ???you and all others add no problem or concern when it was your turn to crack one upside the head???can’t blame others when you take part of the problem IMO , anyway I am out on this one

Ya ok, but you where still killing fish that from your own word are in danger ???you and all others add no problem or concern when it was your turn to crack one upside the head???can’t blame others when you take part of the problem IMO , anyway I am out on this one

Dragging two hootchies behind a boat is apples to oranges to a wall of net in terms of killing efficiency and that should be taken into consideration by the roundtable when decisions on openings and number of pieces allowed per opening.

They have access to far greater escapement, water temperatures, and information than the general public and didn't act on it accordingly.

Yes anyone who gave a sockeye a wood shampoo can be blamed, but I not sure I am entirely the cause of the alberni inlet collapse removing 16 pieces for the entire year, when anytime I drive through port alberni there is a cooler full of dead fish for sale on the side of the road at the orange Bridge.

Dragging two hootchies behind a boat is apples to oranges to a wall of net in terms of killing efficiency and that should be taken into consideration by the roundtable when decisions on openings and number of pieces allowed per opening.

They have access to far greater escapement, water temperatures, and information than the general public and didn't act on it accordingly.

Yes anyone who gave a sockeye a wood shampoo can be blamed, but I not sure I am entirely the cause of the alberni inlet collapse removing 16 pieces for the entire year, when anytime I drive through port alberni there is a cooler full of dead fish for sale on the side of the road at the orange Bridge.
Hey all I am saying is this ship has been sinking for a long time and all sectors are guilty of putting holes in the hull, some bigger then others but at the end, the boat will be in the bottom with all sectors involve in this carnage, blaming others when you take part in it is 2 face

Back