2021 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Never had the chance to try for sockeye
Will it still be going next weekend?
Thinking of launching my kayak from China creek

Fished Wednesday to Friday out of China creek. Wednesday able to get 2 in the boat, fished until noon then blown off as usual. Thursday had a lot more action, 10/18, 50’ was the ticket with a slower troll & longer leaders.
Friday was lights out for us, deeper and short leaders. It was one of the best days we’ve ever had. Fish were everywhere and biting. Off the water by 9 to pack up. Cleaning tables were full of fish stories and tubs of sockeye.
what a great few days.

Fished China Creek today, took a hour and fifteen minutes to get the job done today. 8 in the bucket and back at the dock by 6:45. Good size to the Sockeye this year.

Three person limit by 9:30 and lost at least 10. Best set up was double black hooks at 65 feet, but all 4 rigs were firing. Pink and black, blue and pink both good too.
Must be that Boat and the Big Guy smiling down on ya....great your keeping up the reputation.
Tight lines !

Went out earlyish Thursday for the morning bite. Went 6 for 8 in the first hour, then slowed and lost the next three. Our success ratio taking a hammering.

I keep commenting on size of fish because it is a curiosity of mine. These are much bigger than the last two years, more like I remember from 25 years ago. The Fraser has many different runs come through going to different spawning grounds, are there multiple runs here? They all go to the same spawning ground don’t they? Are different runs the reason for size variability?
The return to Alberni Inlet are a combination of 4 and 5 year old fish. 4 year = 4-5 #, 5 year = 6-7 #

Black hooks has worked yesterday and this morning, 3 in a row on that one rod, both days. 45-55’. Pink and black, pink and blue. If leaving from China creek, drop your lines as soon as you leave the marina.
Thanks very much for the intel DMCK. We just got back yesterday, we used both of your suggestions plus a few other ones as well. We did all of our fishing around China Creek as suggested, the fishing was un-real! we have never had a trip for sockeye anything close to what it was this year. Thanks again and good fishing to ya!

Thanks, i think even a one armed drunk monkey could catch one right now.
Haha - I’m one of them then!

we have been at China Creek for camping since Saturday afternoon. Picked up a couple on the evening bite. Most mornings it has been a bit tougher for us but have been letting the kids do most of the reeling and such so have lost a few extras this trip.
Saturday we went 4/10 all at 60 feet and today was 2/7 all at 65. Lots of soft hits and losing more than our fair share.
Only small windows without wind every day and most boats we chatted with have had a fair number of fish on board but it’s certainly not limits for everyone.
Lots of netting overnight happening off Underwood and China as well.

oh well! Better than a day at work and everyone having a good time.

Haha - I’m one of them then!

we have been at China Creek for camping since Saturday afternoon. Picked up a couple on the evening bite. Most mornings it has been a bit tougher for us but have been letting the kids do most of the reeling and such so have lost a few extras this trip.
Saturday we went 4/10 all at 60 feet and today was 2/7 all at 65. Lots of soft hits and losing more than our fair share.
Only small windows without wind every day and most boats we chatted with have had a fair number of fish on board but it’s certainly not limits for everyone.
Lots of netting overnight happening off Underwood and China as well.

oh well! Better than a day at work and everyone having a good time.
Best bit is day break for about an hour and half.
Set at 50, 40, 30, 20ft
Make sure u got a few dummy flashers off the cannin balls
Use pink squirts with black line threw
Black Single hooks ( 5 or even 6's if ya got them)
29 inch leader from flasher to hook
Slow 1.9 (at 2.3 your too fast)
WATCH THE RODS VERY CLOSELY , we have bells on each of the rods and have fished the channel for over 40 years ...you are probably missing most of the bites.
Just my 2 cents
Tight lines
S-V II
Good on you to let the little people bring em in, it's better INHO than catching a boat full yourself , stay safe and tight lines

Best bit is day break for about an hour and half.
Set at 50, 40, 30, 20ft
Make sure u got a few dummy flashers off the cannin balls
Use pink squirts with black line threw
Black Single hooks ( 5 or even 6's if ya got them)
29 inch leader from flasher to hook
Slow 1.9 (at 2.3 your too fast)
WATCH THE RODS VERY CLOSELY , we have bells on each of the rods and have fished the channel for over 40 years ...you are probably missing most of the bites.
Just my 2 cents
Tight lines
S-V II
Good on you to let the little people bring em in, it's better INHO than catching a boat full yourself , stay safe and tight lines
Great info. Thanks for sharing. We made many beginner's mistakes and probably miss lots of bits! I will use your tips on my next trip.
What is the lenght between the clip release and the flasher?

Great info. Thanks for sharing. We made many beginner's mistakes and probably miss lots of bits! I will use your tips on my next trip.
What is the lenght between the clip release and the flasher?
I usually give it 10ft and my counter starts from the placement of the first clip not the ball, that's to confusing and only use that when I'm bottom bouncing the ball and worried about snagging but near China Creek during sox season no worries
Thought lines

Interesting leader lenth, I've been using 17" to 23" leader. What lenth of leader are
others using?
I agree with your measurements fully but this year has been a bit different for some reason.
Someone had to mention it over and over and over to me , then we tried and it was limited out every morning with in 2 hours, could be just fluk like but like Shep Ship said a one armed drunk monkey should catch fish ....That's me LMFAO (except I gave up drinking ).
Tight lines and stay safe
PS If any length is working dont change it but if it's not well think about it at the least lol

If any length is working dont change it but if it's not well think about it at the least
I will give the longer leader a try, It seems things change over the years, I remember only
using pink squids and now I would starve to death using them. Lol

I will give the longer leader a try, It seems things change over the years, I remember only
using pink squids and now I would starve to death using them. Lol
Tomorrow morning i'm going 29 inches on one side and what I've been doing on the other. I've had anywhere from 19 to 24 inches.

Back