Tried for salmon today off grande and it only produced 1 at 150 on the rigger in 200 feet of water. Was going against the tide and the fish was caught at about 2 pm. After that decided to go for some ling in my secret spot, and it was hot as ever, 10 fish in about 20 minutes and 3 around 20 pounds.

Fished off the fingers this afternoon during the break in the wind for a few hours. . Somewhat slow. The action came in bursts. One keeper spring. Couple coho in tight, unfortunately both wild. few undersized and couple hits. Lots of baits balls. Green/black/white 4”spoon had most of the action. One coho was deep (160’). The other and the spring was shallow (80’).
Beautiful weather.

Tried for salmon today off grande and it only produced 1 at 150 on the rigger in 200 feet of water. Was going against the tide and the fish was caught at about 2 pm. After that decided to go for some ling in my secret spot, and it was hot as ever, 10 fish in about 20 minutes and 3 around 20 pounds.
Well done on having a ling spot that still works. Most guys I talk to have had roughly the same experience as me: used to be be pretty automatic until the spring restrictions, and totally fallen apart over the last year or 2.

Where excatly is Grande? The Grande Island from Fingers?

Well done on having a ling spot that still works. Most guys I talk to have had roughly the same experience as me: used to be be pretty automatic until the spring restrictions, and totally fallen apart over the last year or 2.
Yeah, I feel pretty lucky that it still works.

It’s an old property just outside Silva, it’s got a couple big buildings on it with red roofs, they sit on bluff, great spot.
That's my go to when I'm in the area. I usually report it on the Gulf Islands reports thread. I'll be out again next weekend.

Yeah, I feel pretty lucky that it still works.
So my buddy and I got our 2 springs pretty quick tonight, so decided to try ling. Since our usual spots and techniques weren't working we kept our plugs on and tried trolling slowly over the 60= 80 foot reefs that extend a few miles SE from Entrance. 10 min in: Bang. Ling? Nope, mid slot spring. 10 min later: another mid slot spring. Did manage a couple undersized ling after that, then double-header. A mid slot spring and an absolute hog that was way over the slot. Crazy to say but I'm having a heck of a time catching ling and the salmon won't stay away even when I'm trying not to catch them.

So my buddy and I got our 2 springs pretty quick tonight, so decided to try ling. Since our usual spots and techniques weren't working we kept our plugs on and tried trolling slowly over the 60= 80 foot reefs that extend a few miles SE from Entrance. 10 min in: Bang. Ling? Nope, mid slot spring. 10 min later: another mid slot spring. Did manage a couple undersized ling after that, then double-header. A mid slot spring and an absolute hog that was way over the slot. Crazy to say but I'm having a heck of a time catching ling and the salmon won't stay away even when I'm trying not to catch them.
Savour it while you can

Savour it while you can
You're right of course. The last couple of years Labor Day rolls around, it rains for a few hours, and then I might as well be fishing with a spark plug out there for all the success I have. It'd still be nice to bring a fish home that my kids actually want to eat without me smoking it though.

New to fishing in Nanaimo looking to get the kids into some fish any tips or pointers on depths and area around Nanaimo right now? Does everyone always fish deep year round here?

Finally getting the rods wet after being out with the family for 10 days now. I'm heading towards French Creek as we speak Where is there action?

Well bait sucks out this way. Dog town.
Too much action with hatch hos amd dogs thus far

Drag plugs at French on the bottom, don't waste time with bait too many dogs for sure. I learned that lesson last year doubleheader doggy. I bet superior spoons would also slay.

Back