2018 Yelloweye(0) and Rockfish Retention

Out of all the fish out here we can eat it has never been one of my favorite's for table fare. For me I found it stronger tasting than any other bottom fish. Maybe I just like less strong flavored fish. Talking to fishermen that love to eat them and saying they find them milder flavored I didn't find that out of the few I have eaten over the years. Or maybe it was just where they were caught and what they were feeding on. Last time I ate one was up by Pr McNeil and it was the same as the other one prior to that for flavor. And we ate it fresh out of the ocean an hour after catching it and was kept on ice the whole time. So anyway no loss for me. I haven't targeted them for years now. I'm a Ling meat lover myself so I hope those population numbers get stronger. I actually look forward to that opening date every year more than anything else.
We take them to the Chinese restaurant to be deep fried whole served with blac bean sauce all the time. Best ever!

Oh wow that sounds good! Very nice of the restaurant to do that for you.
We always fight over the cheeks :p

Guess we will have to target the black rockfish for them now. The Yelloweyes were incidental catch fishing for lings

We always fight over the cheeks :p

Guess we will have to target the black rockfish for them now. The Yelloweyes were incidental catch fishing for lings
Ya it's gonna be tricky trying to target Lings without getting the Yelloweyes especially where you guys are up there. Fortunately there aren't too many Yelloweye where I fish for the Lings mostly but in some spots they are for sure. I hope everyone is gonna carry descendiary devices with them. I will be for sure.

I am very curious if the zero retention for yellow eyes is going to apply for the inside waters as well when the season opens up for rock fish on May 1st. Whenever I catch a YE, I would also bring em to a Chinese restaurant where one fish of decent size would be cooked into 3 dishes. The head would be made into soup with papaya and tofu; fillet meat stir fried with vegetables and the rest of the fish would be steamed with black bean sauce. Absolutely nothing is wasted. Going forward, I can see all bottom fish been banned and the net effect is a lot of the Asian anglers are going to quit fishing altogether. Is that that a good thing? That is up for a good debate because they too buy licenses like the rest. Also, I really don’t like it when we have to give up fishing for one type of fish, in this case YE In order to protect fishing for halibut/lings. It could set a really bad precedent going forward.

I am very curious if the zero retention for yellow eyes is going to apply for the inside waters as well when the season opens up for rock fish on May 1st. Whenever I catch a YE, I would also bring em to a Chinese restaurant where one fish of decent size would be cooked into 3 dishes. The head would be made into soup with papaya and tofu; fillet meat stir fried with vegetables and the rest of the fish would be steamed with black bean sauce. Absolutely nothing is wasted. Going forward, I can see all bottom fish been banned and the net effect is a lot of the Asian anglers are going to quit fishing altogether. Is that that a good thing? That is up for a good debate because they too buy licenses like the rest. Also, I really don’t like it when we have to give up fishing for one type of fish, in this case YE In order to protect fishing for halibut/lings. It could set a really bad precedent going forward.
Coastwise closure on Yelloweyes and nobody cares if a particular race threatens to quit fishing.
The point is Conservation of the fish, first and foremost

I’m my experience that race does not need it to be open to fish, must be nice to have rockfish open in your area. My area will never be open they get poached faster then the stock could ever rebuild.

I’d imagine it will be that way close to any large population base in the future. As more population moves to Vancouver island I can’t imagine ground fish being able cope with the fishing pressure.

I have no idea if descending devices will change that but anyone that does not use one is just a slimeball looser.

I’m my experience that race does not need it to be open to fish, must be nice to have rockfish open in your area. My area will never be open they get poached faster then the stock could ever rebuild.

I’d imagine it will be that way close to any large population base in the future. As more population moves to Vancouver island I can’t imagine ground fish being able cope with the fishing pressure.

I have no idea if descending devices will change that but anyone that does not use one is just a slimeball looser.
First and foremost I have never ever advocated preferential treatment for any group based on race. We all
have our parts to play in conserving the fishing stocks.

If we believe there is strength in numbers when it comes to changing the way DFO manages resources, shouldn’t we try to get ALL those involved in rec fishing to come together as one voice?

If we say to those people that like to fish for rock fish or any particular type of fish for that matter “we don’t care if you threaten to quit fishing” then it’s pretty hard come together as one solid voice. You are driving people alway from working with you. Wouldn’t it be more productive to explain /educate why there is a need to manage stocks and how they can become involved to influence policies ?

As for zero retention, perhaps we could have gone they way of halibut/lings and have an annual limit instead of a total ban on YE overnight . Or perhaps the stocks have been so badly managed even that is no longer possible.

First and foremost I have never ever advocated preferential treatment for any group based on race. We all
have our parts to play in conserving the fishing stocks.

If we believe there is strength in numbers when it comes to changing the way DFO manages resources, shouldn’t we try to get ALL those involved in rec fishing to come together as one voice?

If we say to those people that like to fish for rock fish or any particular type of fish for that matter “we don’t care if you threaten to quit fishing” then it’s pretty hard come together as one solid voice. You are driving people alway from working with you. Wouldn’t it be more productive to explain /educate why there is a need to manage stocks and how they can become involved to influence policies ?

As for zero retention, perhaps we could have gone they way of halibut/lings and have an annual limit instead of a total ban on YE overnight . Or perhaps the stocks have been so badly managed even that is no longer possible.
Going forward, I can see all bottom fish been banned and the net effect is a lot of the Asian anglers are going to quit fishing altogether.

Going forward, I can see all bottom fish been banned and the net effect is a lot of the Asian anglers are going to quit fishing altogether.
Doesn't matter anyways.
"Closed" "illegal" and "zero retention" are all in English. As I've been told before by these assholes they "no speaky no ingrish":mad:

I have seen most Rock Fish area where I fish in Southern Vancouver Island fished out and when they start to come back fished out again.
Some may remember my posts on this subject over the years.
Yellow Eye live to be over 100 years old and it is criminal to over fish them, which will no doubt continue until they are fished out.
yellow eye.jpg

So what is the commercial cap on yellow eye this year? How many tons are they allowed to kill? If yellow eye are in such a state of conservation that the SFAB recommended a zero retention for rec fishers, why are they allowed to kill any at all? Don't get me wrong. I support conservation efforts to protect fish in low abundance. . If the little orange bastards are in that much trouble then why is anyone allowed to harvest them? I heard talk that DFO was looking at directing our all ready useless halibut fishing away from yellow eye exploitation by area no zones. So is that why we voluntarily made the move to leave more in the water for the other sector? Are they being redirected away from yellow eye. Or is it business as usual and if they cap too soon they can take our non retention numbers and adjust the cap? Or have they already been reallocated to the other other fleet?

Again. I am not angry about not being able to target and retain yellow eye. If they need help then so be it,Lets stop killing them for a while. Question is, why only us?

Last edited:
Just so I'm understand the regs correctly, Lingcod count as part of the three rockfish limit? Or is it two Lingcod plus three rockfish?

So what is the commercial cap on yellow eye this year? How many tons are they allowed to kill? If yellow eye are in such a state of conservation that the SFAB recommended a zero retention for rec fishers, why are they allowed to kill any at all? Don't get me wrong. I support conservation efforts to protect fish in low abundance. . If the little orange bastards are in that much trouble then why is anyone allowed to harvest them? I heard talk that DFO was looking at directing our all ready useless halibut fishing away from yellow eye exploitation by area no zones. So is that why we voluntarily made the move to leave more in the water for the other sector? Are they being redirected away from yellow eye. Or is it business as usual and if they cap too soon they can take our non retention numbers and adjust the cap? Or have they already been reallocated to the other other fleet?

Again. I am not angry about not being able to target and retain yellow eye. If they need help then so be it,Lets stop killing them for a while. Question is, why only us?

To be clear, there was no SFAB recommendation for 0 yellow eye, we were told that was going to happen. That left us backed into a corner "accepting" where the Department was going. And yes, the hammer (implied threat) was area closures that impacted the rec halibut fishery. You choose your poison. I don't think anyone is particularly fooled that the YE problem is not caused by the rec fishery - rather it is related to a series of commercial fisheries that have been allowed to over-fish YE as incidental catch for a long time. The recreational and commercial hali fisheries would not be happening without some "by-catch" or release mortality in case of the rec fishery. That is why the SFAB passed a motion to make descending devices mandatory carry and use. We believe that if the rec community adopts descending devices that our impact on YE will be almost nothing.

To be clear, there was no SFAB recommendation for 0 yellow eye, we were told that was going to happen. That left us backed into a corner .

Good to know. My saying that was based on a previous post, in the halli thread I believe, that said the recommendations going to DFO are......,., Yellow eye at zero was in that post. I do not have time to search it now so not a direct quote. I assumed it was in response to the possible area closures.

Either way, we are doing our part. Point of my post was to acquire information as to what the others are doing? Right or wrong, in absence of that knowledge , many outside the process that I have talked to feel it is the rec taking hit so the others can keep going.

Back