Date: December 1, 2018
Time: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Where: Steveston Harbour Authority
Address: 12740 Trites Road .

$15 a bag

Logo_withBkg-FHKWC1.jpg

download.jpeg

Last edited:
Haven't been to and bought from this fund raiser before. Anybody know what size on the average these herring usually are? Interested in them for both bait and for making some pickled herring roll mops.

Been a couple of times over the last few years. What I did learn if you go early parking anywhere near the location is at a premium. If early be prepared for at least a 2-3 hour lineup and if you fortunate to be inside you are out of the rain. Bring an umbrella and if you are purchasing a coupe of bags bring along some buckets with handles as the bags get slippery and heavy depending how far away you park. In previous years the herring have been large and in excellent condition. Two bags by the way were way to much for me so I gave some away to fellow fishermen friends.
Good cause and the time goes by quickly as lots of fishermen in the crowd exchanging stories. Fun time!

I did vacuum packed mine and froze same day as the fish are fresh. Time consuming but worth it as I had limited freezer space. For bait I thawed when I had time, brined, vacuum packed again and refroze. Left me with quality bait that held well for ground fish.
By the way on your way out you can double your money if you choose as cars constantly do circle the side roads asking if you are interested in giving up your catch.

Wow ... A fire sale on herring ... In this day and age, when we're trying to enhance fish stocks, who would believe we're still raping our resources for charity ?
The millions and millions that are donated to charity, and specifically to cancer , while our natural resources dwindle away.. who would believe it ?
If the cause is worthwhile, donate the paltry $20 to charity and leave the fish in the ocean where they will do some good to the natural resources who rely on them ..

Wow ... A fire sale on herring ... In this day and age, when we're trying to enhance fish stocks, who would believe we're still raping our resources for charity ?
The millions and millions that are donated to charity, and specifically to cancer , while our natural resources dwindle away.. who would believe it ?
If the cause is worthwhile, donate the paltry $20 to charity and leave the fish in the ocean where they will do some good to the natural resources who rely on them ..

Wow you really are a dick eh! Them commie fishermen are just trying to help.

So are these fresh fresh fish that can be pickled? I've never tried doing myself but I'd love to try it.

I think I read somewhere they were going to catch 60 tons for the sale. Straight of Georgia quota depending on the year is approx 20,000 to 40,000 tons. That is the real issue not the small amount for the kids with Cancer - but yeah agree with leaving the bait fish in the water in general...

The quality is nice. I freeze some for bait and pickle a bunch. Some work but turns out well. Also have fried some and smoked some... but either an acquired taste or I am not doing it quite right!

For pickling I have also frozen a bunch in a block in salt water and defrosted a couple months later to pickle. They were just as good.

When gutting and filetting for pickling I wrap prawn bait container size balls of guts and backbones into cling film and freeze for prawning (complements the carlyle on overnight sets).

Wow you really are a dick eh! Them commie fishermen are just trying to help.
Not at all .... The thought of doing something good for kids with cancer is a good cause, however the method they use to raise the $$ is outdated and NOT insync with the thinking we need to save our resources .. The commies as you put it should know better as they live and breath this stuff every day .. Who better than to lead by example.. leave the resources in the water where they do the most good and find something more appropriate to raise money .. Time to change the old ways !

Anyone going from the Surrey/Langley/Delta/Richmond area?

I am off for my last hunting trip tomorrow early and won't be able to make it but would love to get my hands on 20-30lbs...

I'll be back this Wed and can pick them up that night - let me know if you can grab a load for me.

Grabbed a couple bags today. How come there are no recipes in the recipe section of the forum? Anybody have suggestions for pickling or smoking?

There's a couple videos on youtube for pickling herring and quite a few on the internet. Poland, Dutch, German etc recipes. They all do it pretty similarly with some variations between creamed mustard or mustard seed used and some of them add the simmered pickling mixture to the jars fairly hot, partially cooking the fish before pickling. While other recipes say to let it cool first then add it. I'm gonna make pickled rollmops myself since I already have a bunch of homemade pickles, veggies etc. I gew up eating them a lot as my dad bought them pretty regularly but he never made them from scratch.
I smoke a lot of fish, meats and cheeses but not too sure how smoked Herring would turn out. Think I'm just gonna stick to pickling them.

As for bait there's lot's of recipes for that online. I will use the smaller ones to use whole in teaser heads, the medium/large sized ones for cut plugs, and for the largest ones I use them for strips, getting two from each large herring. I'm curing them all up ahead of time then vac pack and freeze them. Cured then frozen/vac packed will keep them in much better shape than freezing them uncured. Getting the excess moisture out of them pre freezing helps the longevity of them a lot and makes for much better, more durable bait when thawing them out to use for bait.

The only problem with those herring for bait is all the scales are usually gone.
there's no shine left to them.

Back