2016 Alberni Inlet

Haven't fished the inlet since I was a kid and was wondering what the coho run is like these days? When do catchable #s of coho show up. Looking at the liberal 4 fish limit I was thinking there must be a decent run?

Usually around the beginning of Sept small numbers show up and it builds later in the month. It might be later this year as the runs seem later for the springs. Also it really depends how much rain their is in Sept as to whether their is good coho fishing in the inlet. If there is a lot of rain in Sept the coho shoot up the creeks and rivers and there is not much to catch in the inlet.

just a question..... what depth seems to be most sucessfull to fish at as the water warms in the inlet?? thanx in advance for info....C.A.

thanx for the replys guys I was thinking about the sox.. is it different for springs?? ....C.A.

I think the springs tend to be a bit shallower there. Very shallow early in the morning, with 40-50 feet probably probably being average depth on the springs. I think the Sockeye tend to school a little deeper, with 65 - 85 ft being a good guess to Start at later in the season.

I noticed on the tide table for Saturday July 30th at 04:35 a.m. the height is 1.3 feet.

What is the safe navigational level in the Somas river to get out to the inlet? Also for launching in the river, how much water do you need there?

Monday it is .3 at 6:20 a.m. Looks too low for me.

Thoughts please.

Thanks.

I noticed on the tide table for Saturday July 30th at 04:35 a.m. the height is 1.3 feet.

What is the safe navigational level in the Somas river to get out to the inlet? Also for launching in the river, how much water do you need there?

Monday it is .3 at 6:20 a.m. Looks too low for me.

Thoughts please.

Thanks.
I think you can launch at any tide height there. Never had a problem.

You can launch at any tide.... yes eventually the ramp does run out and there is gravel. Some people have had issues when their trailer drops off the end and they can't get enough traction on the slimy ramp at a real low tide.

Back