2015 Halibut Regulations

I hope that's a joke as if it doesn't by at least 8-10lbs then those making the decisions should be ashamed. 144k, just as good of a chance that goes down to zero left over this year as it does 280k using the factors. Would you still call the regs a success if we left 100-180k in the water at the end of 2015 season fishtofino or anyone else?? No idea how you could as that would once again be clear over restriction.

Hmm, people who have hundreds if not thousands of no pay hours invested in learning all the issues and keeping up to date on those issues. Attending many out of town meetings giving up their weekends and often not being fully reimbursed for their costs. Then at times have to make tough INFORMED decisions that they themselves don't like and know that most of the rec sector will not like as well. Then to hear they should be ashamed of themselves?

Thank you Profisher, you nailed it. These are not easy decisions, and the ultimate goal is to ensure a full season that works as best as we can for all anglers coast wide, not just what works in one area. There is way more data and issues to consider than has ever been posted, or even can be posted on a public forum.

There are discussions that take place at the IPHC that are never posted in minutes, so even trying to read material posted to the IPHC site, you are only getting a very small slice of the real issues under debate or in play into future years. The TAC we did get was achieved because Canada can demonstrate it has relatively good management control and verification methodology in place. If we had not been able to demonstrate that, the 2015 TAC would have been much closer to the Blue Line recommendation. Had that happened, there would be a different debate happening regarding 2015 regulations than is happening. I'm very thankful to those who took up our cause and advanced a professional position for Canada.

There have even been personal attacks against those who do volunteer their time. Some of the antics have been hard to understand, and when folks try to explain some of the considerations it just spins into a fight. That's why I have stayed out of this, and will continue to stay out. But, I do want to thank those who are considerate of people who volunteer their time to try to make a difference.

One person said to me trying to engage in discussion in this format is a lot like mud wrestling with a pig. You chase that guy around the mud pit, wrestling around and not really connecting and after a while when you are exhausted, covered in mud. you come to realize that the pig really likes to wrestle.

I'll leave it at that and hope not to receive hate mail.

Profisher/Searun you have nailed it. The one thing I was told earlier by a DFO rep was "one year does not make a "trend" " And he is right... I am glad I dont have to make the hard decisions to pass over to DFO knowing full well that many will not be happy. To rant on those who volunteer their time and often get nothing more than heartburn as a reward for their efforts is wrong..

The last comments by victory are extremely frustrating/disappointing... I understand everybody has different opinions of what they want.. Some want no size restriction some want this etc..And that is totally valid. But to come on this forum and basically insult volunteers that are doing it for free is brutal. A lot of people on here you don't even know are helping where we can, but have trust in the individuals representing us. Let the meeting happen phone Chris Boss your in SFAB representative on south island for Victoria..He has a phone! Maybe talking face to face with someone can help....

I think you owe an apology on this thread personally....

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that's a joke as if it doesn't by at least 8-10lbs then those making the decisions should be ashamed. 144k, just as good of a chance that goes down to zero left over this year as it does 280k using the factors. Would you still call the regs a success if we left 100-180k in the water at the end of 2015 season fishtofino or anyone else?? No idea how you could as that would once again be clear over restriction.

Serengeti Dave? ;)

Damn I love these threads............................................

Who wants a halibut over 40 lbs? best quality is 25-40 lbs. who needs a filet 2" thick or a steak for 5..for bragging rights? I'd sooner 2 a day or 3 poss since most over 40 lbs are female.

Who wants a halibut over 40 lbs? best quality is 25-40 lbs. who needs a filet 2" thick or a steak for 5..for bragging rights? I'd sooner 2 a day or 3 poss since most over 40 lbs are female.

thats great captmike, but i think,, no actually in fact by your question i know you are missing the bigger picture.

I'm sure we would all like to see the limit back to 2/3 any size for the whole year. But remember, this will not ever happen with the TAC we have unless we get more than 15% of it. The guys at sfab, and others that work with them are doing the best with what we have to work with, and I thank them for that.

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0134-RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) - Halibut: Recreational Management Measures in effect April 1, 2015

For 2015, the recreational fishery allocation is 1,063,550 pounds.

The objectives for the recreational fishery are:
–to stay within the allocation (TAC),
–to effectively manage, enforce and assess the fishery,
–to follow the guiding principles of the “Vision for the Recreational Fishery
in BC” such as providing stable and predictable opportunities and to share
responsibility for catch monitoring and reporting.

The following measures will be in place for 2015 and assessed at the end of
year as to how they met the overall fishery objectives.

Limits and sizes:

Effective 00:01 hours April 1, 2015 until further notice:
- The maximum length for halibut is 133 cm.
- The daily limit for halibut is one (1).
- The possession limit for halibut is two (2), only one of which may be greater
than 90 cm in length.
- The annual limit is six (6) halibut per licence holder, as set out on the
2015/2016 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence.
- All halibut retained by the licence holder shall be immediately recorded in
ink on the 2015-2016 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence. The area from which
each halibut is caught and its length shall immediately be recorded on license.

The exceptions to these openings are:

Areas 121:
No person shall fish for or retain halibut, rockfish and lingcod in Area 121
outside the 12 nautical mile limit seaward of a line that begins at 48 degrees
34.000 minutes and 125 degrees 17.386 minutes W and continues south easterly at
a bearing of 116 degrees True to a point at 48 degrees 28.327 minutes and 125
degrees 01.687 minutes W.

Area 121:
Closed to all finfish, year round in the waters of Swiftsure Bank, inside a
line from 48 degrees 34.00 minutes N and 125 degrees 06.00 minutes W, thence to
48 degrees 34.00 minutes N and 124 degrees 54.20 minutes W, thence to 48
degrees 29.62 minutes N and 124 degrees 43.40 minutes W, thence following the
International Boundary between Canada and the U.S. to 48 degrees 29.55 minutes
N and 124 degrees 56.20 minutes W, thence in a straight line to the point of
commencement.

Non-residents of Canada wishing to fish for and retain halibut in Management
Areas 121, 23 and 123 must purchase an electronic licence through a Canadian
vendor.

Note: Rockfish Conservations Areas (RCA’s) remain in effect – refer to the
following website for descriptions:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/restricted-restreint/rca-acs-eng.htm.

Note: These management measures are the same as those in place for 2014/2015,
please refer to fishery notice FN0023 issued January 12, 2015.

Variation Orders 2015-33 and 2015-34.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact: Brad Beaith 250-756-7190 or Devona Adams 604-666-3271.

Why in the F--- do we still have a slot for the possession fish?!!! That reg hasn't saved a single pound - theoretical or otherwise. Should be a lesson for us all - so called "experimental" regs get entrenched regardless if there's a shred of evidence to support them. Pathetic!

Ukee

No real surprise, the allocation is down from last year.
I'm surprised we still have a full season which is something to be thankful for.

It's almost the exact same allocation!!! When we are 150000lbs under again what will sfab say? Oops. But hey we got a full season, sorry for screwing over rec anglers again. Checking out the experimental fishery now. Can't believe the stupidity of those running this (cue get involved then) and fear mongering saying look at the states. A 15 year old would make better decisions.

Why in the F--- do we still have a slot for the possession fish?!!! That reg hasn't saved a single pound - theoretical or otherwise. Should be a lesson for us all - so called "experimental" regs get entrenched regardless if there's a shred of evidence to support them. Pathetic!

Ukee

What kind of crack are you smoking? Both the higher and lower slot limits have saved pounds off of the TAC. In some areas there are few large fish and guides concentrate on the chickens, but areas like the Charlottes large numbers of giant fish used to be taken. Personally I'm happy with the regs as I have a feeling the TAC sports fishers take is higher than their models suggest. One person suggested between October - December only 400 fish were caught, and my dad and I caught 4 halis in December. No way we took 1% of all the fish caught in 3 months.

400 were only caught. DFO numbers. The ones they use for poundage. So you're wrong

Back