2015 Halibut Regulations

And if there were no size limits you would let less go in search of a bigger one?

If there is a high mortality with releasing fish then perhaps we should have to accept and keep the first fish we bring up. If injury from terminal tackle is part of the issue perhaps that could be regulated.

How can anyone justify fishing like that?I hope it was just an attempt to illustrate a point through exaggeration?

Anyone who goes through 20 fish on average to keep two.

I have to talk them into fish by that point. Lots of greedy people out there. Some people have millions of dollars while others starve, some people catch tons of fish, more than they need. The whole reason we're here talking about this is because a greedy old man took our part of the quota somehow... I guess another greedy old man decided it was his to sell.

I do not see this as anything out of the norm. Unfortunately I myself have done that, not quite to that extent but am guilty. I have to come from another province and am lucky to get out maybe once or twice a year. Out of those outings I may get 2-3 days on the water. Out of those 2-3 I am lucky to get offshore to halibut grounds maybe 1-2 times. I know for the money I have spent and the time I have available I am not keeping a first catch 10-15lb halibut. I am going to put in my time to try for something in the 30-50lb range. If the regs allowed us 2 per day, possession of 2 then I would gladly keep an under and would most likely keep another under giving me some meat to go home with. Me and my family enjoy halibut and 1 small chicken barely feeds the 4 of us. I know of many that travel out and spend thousands per year on fishing trips and most of the time we average 1 halibut to take home in a 3 day trip.

one of the more ridiculous rules is the one per day,,this should be changed. well pointed out by i believe almost everyone i fish with or talk in length about the regs...nothin better than going out to the banks and getting yer under and yer salmon, then throw down the anchor and go for the over!!

people do pay alot, travel, and risk alot weather wise to only keep 1 per day. dumbest rule IMHO..

if the limit is six which i have no problem with, and the possession limit is two, if you could get them in one trip , it would save upgrading waste,, if the mort rate is as bad as stated....

The following is successful......

That we have been given the opportunity to manage ourselves....

The last 3 seasons at the IPHC meeting Canada has been pretty much the only area that has successfully held or went up in tac to all the other area's...reason why because we take a response approach in managing both the commercial and sport sector..... it sure would be a different story did not and we went down 2 millions pounds as suggested bye the blue book values of the IPHC.... As some one that was in the room for the meeting this year, one could clearly see that the IPHC was sure wishing the USA would move to Canada's model for halibut.. again that is only something one see by being in the room.

-U will be able to have input in the paper of hooking mortality and best practices for halibut releasing and survival rates.... although the pounds number sounds high...it work out to being around a 3.7 mort rate.... we can improve that

- something no one has taken in account this year...the pound average will go up again as in the last 3 year...2 maybe 3 pound average. opps that just ate up more tac...and that is if we have a duplicate season as last season.. but so many variable to put into play.....USA dollar do we see more pressure from our neighbour down south coming up?? cheaper gas..do more people go off shore..ect ect there less then a 10 variable in the reg. put forward and bang we are over our quota and shut down.. middle season.???

We are tasked with managing halibut for a full season as directed by the people involved in the process.and all the good folks involved with the halibut take this seriously...... and for those of you that are yelling about transparency and more info being available.. this has been worked on for 2 years..something is in play and if all works out and pass..you could have something to work with.... but at this time I would suggest PM Gamer changer let him know that u are interested in the SFAC process and let him know what area you are from...he can direct u to your area process and you can get the minutes and agenda ect for that area chair... there actually really super people that are more then happy to help u out....

So Dave to answer your question... I can sleep every night knowing that good folks at the SFAB & SFAC are doing there very best to manage the needs of the majority of the people of BC to have a fair and equal access to what halibut are available to ALL of us......

Appreciate the response Deryk. 3.7% Mortality, so 30k or so.

Didn't quite answer the question though, mine was if there is once again over 100k left in the water, will you call it a successful season/regulations (despite for a third straight year being over restricted) come December? Yes or no is all. Searun? Fishtofino? Probably won't answer, but would be interesting to hear.

Seasons already a success. We opened Feb 1. We got same TAC as last year despite IPHC science recommending 25 percent less. We got that because unlike others at the table Canada can demonstrate a proven track record of responsible and trusted management of the fishery. This is about seeing the big picture not making decisions that help charter guys market barn door fish to pad their businesses. So success will be achieving the mandate given to SFAB from local committees. Don't lose sight of the fact that we were only about 5 percent under when other factors are taken into account. That is a slim margin on a TAC we cannot carry over or exceed without closing the fishery once we bump up against it.

Dont know, just seems that all you are interested in is creating arguments so we can waste more energy, I'm done with it. Time to move on Dave and spend your energy organizing a lobby to increase the recreational share of available TAC. That would be constructive and if that happened I would deem the season to be successful.

What is success to you, carrying on the argument for as long as possible?

I was going to post would a simple yes or no answer end this for him.

I would say more like a success as we can all enjoy a full season with equal access and a reasonable expectation of a fishery........

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Now carry on breaking those those Halibut's vertebrae with your tail rope

Thanks for the responses. Just want questions answered, and finally got that one answered. Perfect. And no vertebrae is broken if you'd pay attention to how c and r.

Not about lengthening argument at all pat. More about figuring out the logic behind a decision that hurts rec anglers as much as it helps them. We will see this year who is right and if the trend is correct. If we end up with something like under 40k left over id admit I was wrong. Hopefully you'd do the same should there be more.

It will be even more difficult to get more tac when we leave around 400k in the water over two years. All a politician has to say is you didn't even use your quota you were given, why do you need more. Makes it so much easier to say no to us because of that.

It is quite the opposite David. It shows that the recreational sector can if allowed to...design their own fishing plans when needed and the bureaucrats will have faith that we know what is best and will allow us that input. Better that then having them design something on their own which in the past has been far worse.

Thanks for the responses. Just want questions answered, and finally got that one answered. Perfect. And no vertebrae is broken if you'd pay attention to how c and r.

Not about lengthening argument at all pat. More about figuring out the logic behind a decision that hurts rec anglers as much as it helps them. We will see this year who is right and if the trend is correct. If we end up with something like under 40k left over id admit I was wrong. Hopefully you'd do the same should there be more.

It will be even more difficult to get more tac when we leave around 400k in the water over two years. All a politician has to say is you didn't even use your quota you were given, why do you need more. Makes it so much easier to say no to us because of that.

What we do is not perfect bye any means..but remember Canada has received around 6 million more pounds over the blue book value over that time period ...... Its all about we the sport fisherman of Canadian getting its fair share of the total tac..15/85 just doesn't work....PERIOD

Agree with the last sentence immensely. 20-25% is more what we should have. Hell, even with 18% and 7mill we would get a full season with one any size. I still think we have shot ourselves in the foot in regards to getting more though. And very strongly believe that if we are going to take such a conservative approach where every single year we have a decent sized amount kept in water we should implement carry over. I realize the opposite side of that but with an ultra cautious approach it doesn't even matter

So, after the fiasco this thread became, I took some members advice and tried to contact a SFAC member 2(weeks or more ago)and find out about where and when I could attend a meeting. Got an email last night at 8:45 telling me that a meeting for my area was being held at 9:00 am today, 145km from here. One way. Im not sure if that's typical, but no wonder that turnout at these things is so low. Pretty hard to get involved if that's the way we find out. I guess I can plan for the meeting being held in November. But seems to me as if they really did want locals to attend/participate, the notification of said meetings would allow some time to plan to attend. Again, not sure if this is typical but it certainly makes a guy wonder WTF? I'm right back where I started. Meetings need to be be local and times and locations need to be publicly announced . In the paper on the radio I don't know. But finding out there's something happening with such short notice and such a long way away is a sure way to keep attendance numbers low. Someone on the site posted in a different thread that the only way he could get involved was to voice his displeasure/opposition here in the hopes that DFO and others in the position to do something would read about it. Looks to me that for many, that is the only way they can get involved. I'll send copies of the emails to whoever doubts that this is what happened. Disappointing to say the least.

l
Whats' you solution then...? How would you do it? And for record I am aware that there are small communities where meetings are held not just large populations that you say...You must have a group such as BCWF near you don't you? Maybe you should propose one and form a group?

Clint R..PM where u live and I will get u on the local email list for your area and then you will get the info directly as they get it

Back