2013 Summer Port Renfrew & Swiftsure Reports

That's a load of rubbish.

I have personally heard that from the mouth of fisheries that they expect it to close then, and the guides in Renfrew are all prepared and notifying their clients that it could be closing on that date.

Why spread bull$hit rumors. Your contact at DFO must be talking out of his a$$. Check the notice list.

Whats with the anger/attitude? Am i offending you? thats what i have heard and im relaying that out to you guys on the forum. take a chill pill

Looks good enough to me BGM! I hope that they don't change it. How is the salmon fishing out there? Is it starting to slow down?

I don't think I'm offended by others posts but why post up hear say BS. Bad news travels way faster than good news.
By the way, I fished Swiftsure the last few days and fishing is great. Tons of springs, halis and coho.

Just dropped my friend at the airport after three days of fishing. We fished the bank the first morning and caught lots of small springs and some nice Coho. We ran back in and hit Walbran at around 11:00 and got two Springs in the high twenties. The next day we tried Camper for an hour or so with nothing so we ran to the NE corner and drifted for Hali's and got them but it was a bit slow. Yesterday we ran to the bank again and it was fairly snotty there. Lost our first two fish and flashers to Sealions and it was pretty spotty after that. My deck hand was getting green so we ran back for a few hours on dry land.....lol We fished East Point for the afternoon tide change and got our Springs in short order but nothing bigger than about twenty. Pulled the boat last night so this just might be my last report till next Spring! Crappy!!! Good luck!

Greg

Yesterday I trolled up my Hali's on either end of the tack. They are around 18 - 20 pounds. I don't fish this area much but assume bait fishing may produce bigger fish. Springs down deep, over 200 feet were good for a limit between 15 - 25 pounders and lots of Coho & Pinks to shake off but a fair amount of clipped fish.
And the Sealions are brutal.

Just got back from Renfrew yesterday night, now home permanently for the summer. Like Bod says, fishing is good on the bank. Springs are down deep and seem to bite best on a white turd or 6" glow spoon. Coho are all around, just gotta sort through the wilds. Pinks are now there in numbers. Halibut are good on bait, if you drop at the right time can be limited out in short order. Mostly smaller fish but the odd bigger one, picked up a flattie right on the upper edge of the limit (125cm) yesterday near the ranch. Generally water has been quite calm!

going out fishing friday for my b-day and was hoping to get a halibut dosent matter what size just would like to catch one anyone want to share some info (location,tackle, bait, depth) thanks

I'm going to be in renfrew all weekend wondering if anybody wants to share info on the radio as to where the bite is happening during the fishing day I fish from first light to afternoon and also a evening trip will be there Friday eve till Monday staying at galligers cabins

Fishing on the beach was good all weekend for us. picked up 3-5 fish each morning
there were fish being caught at first light, and there were bites happening all morning. the fish seem to be in small schools so when you get into one during a bite we often hit 2-3 in a few minutes.
got spooled on a big fish monday morning too, with the kicker at full throttle chasing the fish down. 350yds gone in 1 run!

Bank sounds ok, halibut are hit and miss.

Just back for the weekend. Fished the beach Saturday. Nothing, not a sniff. Went out for coho. Lots of wilds. Managed 3 hatchery. My son got a 17 pound coho. His first one.

Sunday, out for coho. Managed to get 4 hatchery, biggest around 10 pounds. Scraped up one spring at Camper before heading in. Lots of pinks out there, and lots of undersized springs mixed in with the coho as well.

All in all not fantastic fishing, but came home with some freezer fish.

Dave

Got about 40 smelt in one netload off the beach by the river mouth, plus only one spring and a couple coho from a two partial days of fishing. Lots of coho jumping off the beach and in the river, so fishing inside the canbouy could be alright.

Lil slow in the bay. Caught a nice 10 lb wild the other day but that was it. 5 mins out, boom, then nothing for quite a while. I am sure it will pick up. Was out today, one tiny spring, a handful of Orca close to shore, I am sure this slowed things down. Very slow day for me. What about river mouth, is it open for fishing, casting from shore?

Heading out for some campin and fishin. Im hoping we will be able to get a few coho at least. Any hints on where I may have some luck these days? I realize its died way down. Any help is appreciated. thanks guys

Back