2012 Halibut closing

scott craven

Now that the 2012 Halibut season is over, it would be interesting to
compare notes on other fisherman's results.
We started out the season with a 104lb fish back in March which was to be the biggest for us.
From that point on there were few around 35-40lbs and all the rest were all in the 15-25 lb range.
I read a few articles that indicated that while the biomass is strong, the size of the fish
was down. This seems to concur with results of our season.

Same observation here. On my boat 2 fish over 50# and the rest around 20 or less. Sent a few back because so small. First year I did that.

My boat got two i consider big one not measured or weighed estimated 70lb on mar 2nd one measured 50 inches (60lb) a few weeks ago.

Nothing else over 30 but we got a few 10-15lbrs and some really nice 20-29lbs.

Got skunked a bunch too. One thing I noticed is either we would get skunked or catch 2 fish - very few days with 1 Hali. Lost some gear including one full spreader bar set up, a few scent jars, 2 pairs of pliers, one weight, one rod holder and a fish got away with one of my rods 40 minutes before dark on closing day. Man they hit hard sometimes!

Got one bonus catch a Dora the Explorer ball my daughter loves. We were anchored and it drifted right to us.

I did all of my hali fishing out of Tofino this year. In July we did well on chickens in the 15-25lb range and one that hit 50. Unfortunately work kept me away from fishing the WCVI or "halibut waters" until the Labour Day weekend. We did well in a couple of hours and got one about 35 and two in the 70lb range.....didn't hook anything small on that trip and personally I was surprised to get such good fish in the last few days of the season. Did also hear about a 100lber that hit the docks on that same Saturday of the long weekend.

I never gave it much effort this year and later in the season than past couple years wen I did go.

1-30lbr, 1-15lbr one day and only 1 about 10-15 the other. We did get a couple as by-catch wen trolling out at southbank.they were very small hardly bigger than a flounder.

I never gave it much effort this year and later in the season than past couple years wen I did go.

1-30lbr, 1-15lbr one day and only 1 about 10-15 the other. We did get a couple as by-catch wen trolling out at southbank.they were very small hardly bigger than a flounder.
3 days of fishing (total about 6 hours targeting Halibut) 1 @ 35 lbs., 2 between 25 - 30, 2 between 20 and 25 and 4 under 83 cm. Usually 2 but sometimes 3 rods in the water

dont have 10 kids to feed; dont like frozen fish that often; so go out once in a while to catch a small one; 3 or 4chickens will do fine for the summer; eat a little venison in fall; catch a winter spring if i have to; they still sell fish and meat in grocery stores; so we should be okay

two in the mid thirtys to fortys, and about half dozen in the 10-15lbs range for my boat this season.

Only tried 2 times. First time we picked up two cookie cutter fish right at 30lbs each. The second time (a week or so ago), I only had one hookup, a 70lber that we lost at the boat. Both times on the Canadian side of Swiftsure just off the west end of the closure.

Went out 4 times to specificaly target hali. Probably 5hrs. per trip average.All small fish for the first trips early in the
season,15-25 lb. average.Late season from late July to now,78,47,38,34,28.A definate increase in size. Heard the same
from a couple of other buddys. It seems the fishing was just starting to get good when they shut er down!

Released two small ones, kept three 18 to 23 chickens and one approx 63lb (51") between wife and myself, all out of Nootka on two different trips. About the same as last year

Got out in the Victoria area about 7 times this year, got skunked 3 times and limited out the others; no in-between! Most of the fish were between 15-25 with a couple 40-60s thrown in. From the reports I've read seems like a pretty good season! I do agree the average size is down though...weird thing is up in the Langara Island area the Hali's were unusually large this year...

Spent about 6 hrs fishing for Halis over 3 days up in Port Hardy. One day two around 20 lbs, next time out one at 102 lbs, and the final time out a 60 lber........

One of the best (or easiest) halibut years I can remember. Didn't have to really work at them this year. Trolling and jigging we got them. The TEMPORARY slot limit did not hinder our season.

One of the best (or easiest) halibut years I can remember. Didn't have to really work at them this year. Trolling and jigging we got them. The TEMPORARY slot limit did not hinder our season.

+1

Easiest halibut year for us ever. Nothing big for us (all in the 15-35 lb range) probably in part because we troll only.

Hali fishing overall for numbers I thought wasn't as good this year but plenty of big ones. Finally broke the 200 mark (225). The guy needed me to tag team it lol

Back