2008 WCVI Salmon Predictions

The "word" is it will be open as last year.
Chinook/Coho predections call for less fish out there,however it is all about fishing, not catching.

If the decline continues as it has done for the last 10 years, if nothing changes, eventually there won't be anything left to catch! I've seen a steady decline every year since I moved here 6 years ago. Two bad pink years in a row where I live.:(

It's all about fishing pressure most of the time, different cycles and ocean survival play a huge role as well.
The Coho numbers from what I have seen are holding pretty steady in some of the areas with less pressure but the chinook populations are in a dire need of the hatchery programs.
Places like Nootka, Bamfield among others are under such huge fishing pressure...without the hatcheries...they eventually won't last.

a little bit off topic, but does anybody know if the fishing is being impacted in other places around the world for major game fish like it is in bc?

Globally fishing pressure is at the highest it has ever been. I fish in Florida a lot and they have had progressively fewer and fewer fish every year (depending on species etc) but fish like Swordfish marlin, Grouper are getting harder and harder to catch. Tuna populations are crashing all over. Some stocks are so far gone they will be extinct in a few years. Of course everyone is busy pointing fingers at the other guy to do anything about it. You can pick any fish species right now and it is in trouble or declining. Alaska loves to brag about their sustainable fisheries but I call BS on that one. They fail to mention how heavily they target Canadian fish to the point of collapse. Although I am not blaming the Yanks for everything, in a lot of cases they are doing more for fish conservation than Canada is (especially salmon).

I read an article on the Rivers in Argentina and Patagonia where they have introduced Several speices of Pacific Salmon, Atlantic Salmon, Sea-run Brown Trout , steelhead, and various other trout species and the populations there are getting better and better every year. Hopefully we won't have to start travelling there to catch our famed "West Coast Salmon". However it is good to see something positive with introduced species somewhere.

A good friend from US tells me that there are a lot of fishing pressure at Greater lakes in Michigan. Hard to catch a salmon and other fish species. Bigger boats go way out to catch fish. But bassfishing is awesome close to the shores. And also deer hunting is very popular over there.

Not to resurrect an old thread. But over the xmas holidays, went to dinner with Ray Bentley (who many of you I'm sure know) as he is a good family friend, and he said the returns to the Marble River this year were the best he's ever seen. Plus a million fish were placed in the river last year. Also that the returns to the Beaver Cove hatchery were also good for Springs...not so much for Coho, but great for Springs. He is by far the most knowledgable guy I know, and has been up here for years and years....so maybe all this "shutting down west coast", "the returns are awful" is a bit of over reacting?!?!

David

The returns would be fine if the gilnets were gone...

Back