2007 season

quote:Originally posted by battaglino

Does anyone know why the pinks are on the inside of VI on even years and on the outside on the odd years. Why don't we have them every year? We have all the other salmon every year. I have heard some kind of natural diasater? Anyone have any ideas?

There are acceptions as a number of hatcherys run them every year.
Campbell River is an example of this.

quote:Originally posted by battaglino

Does anyone know why the pinks are on the inside of VI on even years and on the outside on the odd years. Why don't we have them every year? We have all the other salmon every year. I have heard some kind of natural diasater? Anyone have any ideas?

There are acceptions as a number of hatcherys run them every year.
Campbell River is an example of this.

yeah i remember talking to some guys that charter out of campbell river and they said they had a decent year with the pinks, and it wasnt even a pink year.

I'm looking forward to summer, anyone know the expected return for the sockeye in port alberni this summer?

I kept a log of springs nailed in my boat since 2000. So if returns are in order, Sooke Spring fishin should be a banner year this summer and most likely better for 2008. Just my two cents. Fah Cups

I remember the easy limits of coho in the 80's in my grandpa's Lifetimer 12' tin can...springs were the odd catch and were always a feast, we fished right out of Craig Bay. Mistake Island was surrounded in Kelp. Somehow the inside just doesn't feel as alive anymore.

demco99 - You said Mistake Is. WAS surrounded by kelp. Have you noticed a decrease in kelp? There never was much on the southern end of the Sunshine Coast and I've always wondered why.... the only possible explanation I could find was a link to wood preservatives in runoff making it into most Lower Mainland rivers and streams (eventually making their way out into the strait). I think Jacques Cousteau called the strait itself a "virtual desert", but apparently he thought the inlets were thriving....

Back